SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backlash Against The NRA
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backlash Against The NRA Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
If NY gets their way, you'll have this: "Removing LaPierre for cause from his position as Executive Vice President of the NRA, and permanently barring his re-election or appointment as an NRA officer or director pursuant to N-PCL §§ 706(d), 714(c), and 717 and EPTL §8-1.4;"

- NY summons, 8/6/2020, page 161.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I'm no longer convinced that the NRA is even for gun rights. I'm absolutely sure they are for the NRA. My point can be seen if you look at recent history. They were completely absent when Virginia was taken over by the commies. And now (so far) with all the gun legislation being talked about, all I hear from them is bullcrap emails about raffles and such. Win a truck, send us money. I'm a life member by the way. Meanwhile, I receive emails to take action and contact representatives and senators, sometimes daily from the GOA. (Also a life member there). The NRA catches all the heat in the media, but they have been in support of some pretty nasty garbage, i.e. gun control in the past. bump stocks and red flag laws to name a couple. They are dead silent right now. Now is the time to load up all these politician's inboxes etc. Yet we hear a big fat nothing from the NRA.

Posts: 354 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’ve been of the opinion that the NRA is less about gun rights than just a money machine. Gun rights is their hook, and yes they do things but consider what they do with most of the money they raise.

At times it seems like support for the 2A is just their vehicle.

I’m a Life Patron and wouldn’t send them a nickel these days because I really feel they no longer represent the average gun owner. They only participate in the big things because that’s where they get the attention and can use that to get more money but it seems they don't give a flying f*}k about anything if they can’t make a bunch off it.

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
NRA has become a big organization, and suffers from it. Lots of money and prestige which can distract leaders and make them soft. Just like any organization or business.

It seems to me that the NRA fits the DC philosophy of negotiate and compromise to get the most of what they want for the least given up. And there may be some value in being willing to accept some give and take, but only if the other side is acting in good faith.

But there is every indication the other side is dishonest and their goal is to never ever give an inch while they take everything they can.

The NRA is such a lightning rod, and maybe that is a benefit by taking the heat while other groups voice the absolutism against infringement.

Remember, it is Congressmen who write and vote on the laws, not the NRA. The NRA can oppose or support, but they are not responsible for new gun control laws. We need to be pressuring Congress as our primary effort rather than complaining about WLP. But I'd love to see NRA get a backbone like GOA and SAF.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well stated

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
I'm no longer convinced that the NRA is even for gun rights. I'm absolutely sure they are for the NRA. My point can be seen if you look at recent history. They were completely absent when Virginia was taken over by the commies. And now (so far) with all the gun legislation being talked about, all I hear from them is bullcrap emails about raffles and such. Win a truck, send us money. I'm a life member by the way. Meanwhile, I receive emails to take action and contact representatives and senators, sometimes daily from the GOA. (Also a life member there). The NRA catches all the heat in the media, but they have been in support of some pretty nasty garbage, i.e. gun control in the past. bump stocks and red flag laws to name a couple. They are dead silent right now. Now is the time to load up all these politician's inboxes etc. Yet we hear a big fat nothing from the NRA.

NRA has been largely absent from individual gun-rights legislation since California passed Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989. While they've on occasion pop'd up and sent in their legal bulldog Chuck Michel for specific cases, the reality is that the NRA exists today to advocate on behalf of the firearms manufacturers, who's own business model is flawed with the embrace of the distributor network model. For individual rights and support, GOA, SAF, USSCA, CRPA and others are much more responsive and supportive.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post