SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 year old Oregan boy contracts tetanus, almost dies, spends 47 days in ICU, parents still refuse vaccine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 year old Oregan boy contracts tetanus, almost dies, spends 47 days in ICU, parents still refuse vaccine Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Rabies is always fatal in humans. It would be interesting to see an anti-vaxxer get rabies and refuse the vaccine. it would be interesting to see if the anti-vaxxer sticks to their guns.

So, if the anti-vaxxer "stuck to his guns" and died. What would that prove?
He made his choice...as was his right.

PS: There was an article recently about a guy who did survive rabies. I think it is the only known case of survival after symptoms were observed.

FOUND IT:
https://www.scientificamerican...ese-rabies-survivor/

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Lol, typically I decline to get the flu shot because it ends up being a poor match to what’s out there. This year I did get it for my son, because of our extended travel outside the country and the number of airports/ travelers he’d be exposed to, as well as a concentrated locale of folks/children from everywhere once we returned to the states. Turned out to be a decent match this year, too.
I suspect if there was something along the lines of a polio outbreak people would be running to get their kids vaccinated. Vaccines are effective. They have done such a good job, we’ve forgotten how grateful we were to be able to immunize ourselves against some truly horrible diseases.

Doubtful. There is no reasoning with antivaxxers...they are dug in. Last year (2017-2018) 80k people died from the flu. Of those about 150 were unvaccinated children. Want to guess how many fully vaccinated kids died from the flu?

I’d actually be curious of the breakdown if you had the stats. 0.2% were unvx kids? Were the majority elderly or otherwise compromised individuals?

As I said, this was the first year in the last few that I had my son vaccinated for flu based on my reasoning above. So far, no issues beyond the typical cold, but I know of a teammate whose dad is a nurse anesthetist (which predisposes me to think they vaccinated their boy) and that child was down with flu earlier last month. It’s a very touchy question with parents, so I don’t always ask.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Lol, typically I decline to get the flu shot because it ends up being a poor match to what’s out there. This year I did get it for my son, because of our extended travel outside the country and the number of airports/ travelers he’d be exposed to, as well as a concentrated locale of folks/children from everywhere once we returned to the states. Turned out to be a decent match this year, too.
I suspect if there was something along the lines of a polio outbreak people would be running to get their kids vaccinated. Vaccines are effective. They have done such a good job, we’ve forgotten how grateful we were to be able to immunize ourselves against some truly horrible diseases.

Doubtful. There is no reasoning with antivaxxers...they are dug in. Last year (2017-2018) 80k people died from the flu. Of those about 150 were unvaccinated children. Want to guess how many fully vaccinated kids died from the flu?

I’d actually be curious of the breakdown if you had the stats. 0.2% were unvx kids? Were the majority elderly or otherwise compromised individuals?

As I said, this was the first year in the last few that I had my son vaccinated for flu based on my reasoning above. So far, no issues beyond the typical cold, but I know of a teammate whose dad is a nurse anesthetist (which predisposes me to think they vaccinated their boy) and that child was down with flu earlier last month. It’s a very touchy question with parents, so I don’t always ask.

Unfortunately the CDC only tracks pediatric deaths from the flu with great detail. Of the 185 pediatric deaths about 80% had not received the flu vaccine that year. Sometimes previous flu vaccines will help stave off dying from the flu like it did in 2013 when people who had gotten a vaccine in 2008-09 had some H1N1 immunity. Those who didn’t had a much greater chance of dying. People need to understand the flu vaccine isn’t made to keep you from getting the flu 100%. It’s meant to soften the blow so you don’t die from it. The CDC estimated about 80k adults died from the flu in the same year and yes more the likely a majority had co-morbidities but I can tell you from experience that younger healthy people do die from flu when unvaccinated. Last year I had 2 patients that stick out. One was a 48 year old guy that began having symptoms the day before. He was previously healthy on no meds. By the time he got to me about 30 hours from onset of symptoms he was in respiratory distress, heart was failing including a non-ST elevation myocardial infarction with a troponin of 40, liver and kidney failure. I admitted him to the ICU and he died about 2 days later. Another was a 35 year old women who only presented with fever and asthma symptoms. She had a history of asthma as a kid but not as an adult. She eventually went in ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) and was placed on ECMO (cardiopulmonary bypass) in the ICU where she languished for about a month and then died.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Rabies is always fatal in humans. It would be interesting to see an anti-vaxxer get rabies and refuse the vaccine. it would be interesting to see if the anti-vaxxer sticks to their guns.

So, if the anti-vaxxer "stuck to his guns" and died. What would that prove?
He made his choice...as was his right.

PS: There was an article recently about a guy who did survive rabies. I think it is the only known case of survival after symptoms were observed.

FOUND IT:
https://www.scientificamerican...ese-rabies-survivor/

If a 9 month old (who isn’t able to be vaccinated due to age) contracts measles from an unvaccinated kid who is older (and therefore has a more robust immune system) and died what does that prove? Did the 9 month old or his parents make a choice? No one was made for them. People forget that even in 2017 when measles innoculations were high 110k people died from measles world wide. Kids under the age of 5 made up most of the deaths. It’s a deadly disease and it’s making a resurgence because of people who think like you do. If people don’t want to vaccinate their kids that’s fine, but they shouldn’t be allowed to interact with the public at large.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My biggest pet peeve is when parents refuse to vaccinate their kids and then bring them to the ER when they are sick with fever of 104. Like clockwork they turn around and not let us do anything. I can’t even count how many unvaccinated kids I have treated with high fever who’s parents refuse to let us draw blood, give fluids, lumbar puncture, image, etc... I often want to say “then why the fuck did you bring them here?” If you are so hell bent on wanting your kid to die from Hib meningitis or some other terrible preventable disease then do it at home. Why waste all of our time? I swear letting these poor kids go home with these fucktard parents make me feel like I’m performing a late term abortion that is completely out of my control. I don’t need that shit on my conscience.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The fact that we (first world inhabitants) are even discussing this at all, is proof of how well vaccinations work.

Do any of you anti-vaxers think that parents in places like Africa are debating this subject? India? The favelas in South America? Our collective memory concerning horrible communicable diseases is non existent for the vast majority of us. This is due to advances in medical science, and science in general. Vaccines and the laws surrounding them prevent deaths on a massive scale. There is no intelligent argument against that fact. Lets not forget that this current outlandish behavior was given legs by a fraudulent health study and an airhead that showed off her tits for a living.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post