SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 year old Oregan boy contracts tetanus, almost dies, spends 47 days in ICU, parents still refuse vaccine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 year old Oregan boy contracts tetanus, almost dies, spends 47 days in ICU, parents still refuse vaccine Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
The last patient I had with tetanus broke her back in multiple places from the spasms/contractions, had a tracheostomy done and was placed in a coma for 4 months. These parents are just fucking assholes. Their insurance company (assuming they have any) should make hem pay every cent of that bill.

https://www.oregonlive.com/hea...illion-in-bills.html

Unvaccinated Oregon boy, 6, nearly dies of tetanus, racks up $1 million in bills

By Molly Harbarger | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Updated 5:40 PM; Posted Mar 7, 3:02 PM
A CDC photo of the tetanus bacteria that causes illness.
A CDC photo of the tetanus bacteria that causes illness.
A 6-year-old boy spent about eight weeks in the hospital -- much of it in a dark room. His parents face nearly $1 million in medical bills. He suffered excruciating pain and lost control of his body as the first case of tetanus in Oregon in about 30 years.

The disease is preventable by taking a vaccine, but the child wasn’t vaccinated. Nor is he still.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report Thursday about the 2017 tetanus case as part of their Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, which aggregates field studies and discussions of contagious disease outbreaks throughout the U.S. and world. It comes amid a measles outbreak in Washington and Oregon that has sickened 75 people, most of them unvaccinated children. Legislatures in both states are considering bills to make it harder for parents to opt-out of required vaccinations.

The widespread use of the tetanus vaccine has led to a 95 percent decline in the number of tetanus cases since the 1940s, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Almost no one dies from the disease anymore.

But it’s still relatively easy to contract tetanus, a bacteria that lives in the soil, if not vaccinated.

According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report written by doctors at Oregon Health & Science University and a scientist from the Oregon Health Authority, the boy got a cut on his forehead while playing outside on a farm. The cut was cleaned and sutured at home.

But six days later, he started to cry, his jaw clenched tight and the muscles in his arms and upper body spasmed involuntarily. Those episodes were followed by his neck and back arching and more full-body spasms. Then he started to struggle to breathe.

His parents called for emergency medical help and the boy was transported by helicopter to a pediatric medical center. There, he was diagnosed with tetanus.

At the OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, his lockjaw prevented the boy from drinking water, which he craved. He had to have a tube placed into his windpipe and then was hooked up to a machine that helped him breathe, the report said.

The boy was given a dose of the tetanus and pertussis vaccine and a hefty dose of tetanus immune globulin. Immune globulins are one of the first-line defenses against many vaccine-preventable diseases. In the measles outbreak in Washington and Oregon, people infected with measles and pregnant women who have been exposed to the virus have been given measles immune globulins to slow or stop the virus from taking hold.

After given the tetanus-fighting drugs, the boy was placed in a darkened room with ear plugs and minimal stimulation in the pediatric intensive care unit to reduce his spasms, which seemed to be worsened by noise, light and other external stimulation.

The boy was also given an IV of metronidazole, an antibiotic that fights bacterial infections, and the cut on his forehead was again washed and cleaned, according to the report.

But he continued to get worse. Strong muscle spasms pulled his back and neck backward until they arched; his blood pressure and heart rate rose to dangerous levels; he developed a severe fever.

On his fifth day in the hospital, doctors cut a hole in his neck to insert a tube to help him breathe long-term. He kept receiving IV infusions of medication to try to dampen his pain and blood pressure. Doctors also tried to stop his muscle spasms with strategies to block his brain from sending the involuntary signals to his muscles.

After a month, the CDC said, the boy was weaned off the neuromuscular blockade and his ventilator. On the 44th day in the hospital, he could start to sip clear liquids. On the 50th day, he could walk 20 feet on his own. Four days later, the tube in his windpipe was removed.

And on the 57th day after entering the hospital, he got to leave and enter a rehabilitation center, where he regained his ability to run, bike and play within 17 days.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes that the child’s diagnosis of tetanus comes from clinical observations. Tetanus bacteria are notoriously difficult to get to grow in a lab, so even though a sample of the bacteria taken from the boy didn’t grow in the lab, researchers say they’re positive the boy had tetanus.

The family’s bills for just the boy’s hospital stay came to $811,929 -- about 72 times the average cost for a child hospitalized in the U.S. That amount doesn’t include the air transportation to the hospital from the farm, his time at the rehabilitation center or any follow-up costs.

The CDC report says recent tetanus cases in adults have ranged in cost from $22,000 to more than $1 million.

Unlike measles or some other disease, getting infected with tetanus doesn’t make someone immune for life. A person could get tetanus multiple times during a lifespan if not vaccinated.

Most parents choose to fully vaccinate their children, who receive doses of DTaP, the diptheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccine, at ages 2, 4 and 6 months, then again between 15 and 18 months and finally a fifth dose between 4 and 6 years old.

The immunity wears out about every 10 years, so federal health officials recommend children and adults get booster shots of the vaccine for only diptheria and tetanus every 10 years.

However, knowing all of that, the CDC noted that the parents of the child chose not to give him a second dose of the vaccine or any other recommended immunizations.

-- Molly Harbarger

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Child abuse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The last patient I had with tetanus broke her back in multiple places from the spasms/contractions, had a tracheostomy done and was placed in a coma for 4 months.

Yeah, I need to get a tetanus booster.

How could the parents in the article watch their son go through that and then choose not to complete his immunizations? Monstrous.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Apparently those folks working off the “herd immunity” theory don’t get how tetanus works.

Like the folks that think since the flu vaccine isn’t always effective, other vaccines aren’t, either.

Do your research, people. This poor child. As soon as I read “sutured at home” it all started going downhill. If you can’t butterfly bandage it, and you’re not a doc or nurse, bring them in, IMO.
They could’ve popped him on the spot, after they stitched him up, and saved a million. And the heartache and pain.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The problem with anti-vaxxers is they impose the consequences on the innocent.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of my favorite quote from "The Hunt For Red October":

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

Measles outbreaks on the rise, typhus and other medieval pestilence showing up in homeless camps. I've often thought that I have seen it all. I'm reminded daily that I have not.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Apparently those folks working off the “herd immunity” theory don’t get how tetanus works.
Most of the anti-vaxxers that I have encountered haven't had a science class since high school and barely got by then. They might have college degrees but they aren't in the sciences.

They "learn" that Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative, and leap to the erroneous conclusion that the mercury will cause autism, fainting, seizures, etc. so they refuse to vaccinate their children.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Anti-vaxxers against preventable childhood diseases are retards. There is no other way to put it. Fucking retards.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the parents need to be arrested and charged with everything anyone can think of...backup charges on backup charges

make an example of these cretins

the child needs to be removed and placed in foster custody

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have two questions for the doctors here:
  1. How often should the tetanus vaccination be repeated, on a routine basis?

2. After getting hit with Guillain Barré Syndrome a couple of years ago, my doc told me that many immunization shots were on the "no go" list for me, including flu shots, pneumonia, and shingles. My question here: are tetanus shots safe for me?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Poor kid.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the parents need to be arrested and charged with everything anyone can think of...backup charges on backup charges

make an example of these cretins

the child needs to be removed and placed in foster custody

None of this will happen since it occurred in Oregon. All they need to do is get a jury in Eugene or Portland and they are off the hook

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These ignorant and dumb child abuse neglect parents that do this will give an account one day b4 the Lord. It is better if a millstone was placed around your neck and dropped into the sea.....
If you harm a child...
Sad.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

2. After getting hit with Guillain Barré Syndrome a couple of years ago, my doc told me that many immunization shots were on the "no go" list for me, including flu shots, pneumonia, and shingles. My question here: are tetanus shots safe for me?

This is the only case I have seen in recent years involving GB and Tdap vaccine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3204303/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
madness.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the meme of a woman with a crying baby in the doctor's office. She asks why the baby is always crying. Doctor replies that the kid isn't vaccinated and he just realized he's middle aged.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

1. Every ten years.

2. Talk to your physician and ask them for advice. I would assume you are at low risk for injury at your age, but, you can never be totally safe. If he/she say you can get a booster, do it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Unvaccinated Oregon boy, 6, nearly dies of tetanus, racks up $1 million in bills.

Wait for it...wait for it...GoFundMe in 3, 2, 1....

Posts: 9003 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Cleaned and sutured at home".
There ya go... Do it yourself surgery on your kid.
I bet the kid just loved that.
Amazing isnt it? You have to pass all kinds of tests and jump through all kids of hoops to own a gun, drive a car or get a loan.
But you can have a kid.... No test or paperwork needed.
And yes, charge them with child abuse.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I got cut cleaning out an old basement a couple months ago and needed stitches.
When I went to the ER I asked for a tetanus shot as part of my treatment.
I know how extremely nasty tetanus is.

I can't comprehend parents that would not vaccinate their children.
This case is as bad as child abuse gets; the parents should be jailed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16489 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post