SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum now has a team of members patrolling Classifieds
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum now has a team of members patrolling Classifieds Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
During the flurry of scams we had in the forum recently, it became apparent that Classifieds needs more eyes on it to guard against the thieving trash who has been diligently trying to ripoff members.

Things have calmed down a lot. As a matter of fact, I've not heard of any new scam attempts for several weeks. When it gets to be more work than it's worth for what they're getting in return, these parasites will move on, but they're sure to keep trying us at intervals.

The last scam attempt I'm aware of was a member eager to get a particular rifle, and who carelessly sent out a money order for 600 dollars, to someone he didn't know, and who he never bothered to check closely. The only reason he didn't lose his 600 bucks was the scammer gave him an incomplete mailing address, and the post office returned the money order to the "buyer". Of course, he damn well knows now to be extremely careful. He's very fortunate.

We have to operate under the assumption that these vermin are with us now and shall remain so, and that there will always be a danger of them making further attempts to steal from members. And for those of you unaware, this is not an issue specific to SIGforum. It seems that over the past year, all the little grifters have decided that gun forums are a gold mine. I know of more than a half dozen forums where these thieves have been sniffing around. I've no doubt that there are more forums infested with these lice.

Our way of handling these theft attempts is simple: we have to make aware all those members who use Classifieds. The threads I've posted about scammers have helped, but we need to have all ads examined, and we need a handful of members who can either post directly in ads or email the authors of those ads, in order to tell them directly that there is a very good chance someone will attempt to scam them. This is especially true with WTB ads.

Consequently, I've assembled a small team of members who will be tasked with this duty.

I first approached member 12131 and asked for his assistance. 12131 buys/sells quite a bit and is savvy to the ways of online commerce. He's an intelligent man and he's got a bit of an edge to him. Fading flowers, we don't need. He agreed to help out and I asked him for the names of a few members who he thinks might do well at this duty. He submitted four names. One member declined, feeling as if he would not be able to do a proper job of it, for reasons I won't go into. The other three, I'm happy to say, accepted and they will be joining 12131 in keeping an eye on Classifieds.

Those members- in no particular order- are:

• smschulz

• redleg2/9

• ensigmatic

I've said before that I don't want to make these guys into full-fledged moderators. These are long-time, valued members. My experience is that turning a member into a moderator alters my relationship with them, and I just don't want that to happen. For anyone who doesn't know what I mean- trust me- it's a compliment.

These members will act autonomously for the most part. I haven't provided them with a lot of guidance. It will take some time and they will work out there own approach as they go along. There'll be no pressure from my end.

When any of these four members appears in a thread in Classifieds, it will be with a purpose, and remember, they didn't ask for this. They will be polite and I expect others to be polite to them. You should consider anything they say to you in Classifieds as having come from me. Any member who has a problem with their intervention should bring their complaint to me. They won't argue with you and you shouldn't argue with them. I don't anticipate any issues, but there's always some hard-charging FNG who wants to scrap.

Again, these guys will be feeling their way through things for a while, so, cut 'em some slack.

Lastly, I will say to our new team- don't be too eager to try out your new powers. Trust me when I say that you'll have the opportunity soon enough, and I am grateful for your assistance.

There are no "quotas" for you guys. Don't feel the need to "do something" because other members of your team keep getting to problems ahead of you. If you get any permissions errors when trying to access functions in Classifieds, just let me know of the error message(s) you get and I will tweak things accordingly.
  •  
    Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    Excellent

Good choice of guardians

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    SIGforum's Indian
    Off the Reservation
    Picture of bigpond73
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Mike.

And thanks to the volunteers that have stepped up.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    4 upstanding members, not an easy choice to narrow down a group.
    Thanks for running a tight ship here.

I don't do much in the classifieds, but glad to know there's some extra vigilance there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    Just another example of what a great place this is! Thank you, Boss for asking for help with this. I’d hate to see the classifieds become a pain in your neck and go away. Thanks also to the volunteers for stepping up!

I haven’t been in the classifieds in a long time, but I’m still glad it’s there.

Thanks for all you do to make SIGforum an oasis!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for all the efforts to keeping this subforum safe.

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks to all five of you for going to this trouble to protect the rest of us.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
    — Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    Para,

If you guys ever need looking further into a person don’t hesitate to call on me. Of course I would need a little more info than just an email, but could even try with just that. I own a private investigations company on the side from my regular job and would do any research for free using the databases I have access to.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This is excellent!

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Great idea and great choice of members for this.

This is one of only two forums I visit where I feel confident in purchasing from the members, though I don't buy or sell much. I hope this will make us even safer from those dirtbags that try to scam us.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 808
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you so much for all the effort that goes into this site.

And this is another reason why this is the best site in the world.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    Ugh! I hate that there is a need, but that is all for helping!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
    Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
    Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post

Nice. Cool

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unknown
    Stuntman
    Picture of bionic218
    posted Hide Post
    Good call, Para. That’s a solid crew.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks to all you guys for helping out Para and all of us forum members who use the classifieds.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    PopeDaddy
    Picture of x0225095
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fire begets Fire
    Picture of SIGnified
    posted Hide Post
    Good posse boss!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
    ~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post