SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...eme-court-fight.html

But over the weekend, a top Democratic senator suggested that stopping the nominee is more important than the upcoming midterm elections.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., acknowledged that so-called red-state Democrats may be tempted to vote for Trump's selection out of political necessity, but urged his colleagues Sunday to consider more than their political careers.

"Beyond the procedure, beyond the gamesmanship, it is a life-and-death important decision to be made by this court on so many issues," the Senate minority whip said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Easy for someone whose career is not at risk to say, but much harder for those with actual "skin in the game" to execute. Also, it ignores the fact that Senators are supposed to represent their constituents first, not their political party.

Not only that but probably fruitless.

They all vote no, and 5 or 6 in Trump states get beat in November. McCain recovers or is replaced. Now, the Senate is 56-44.

What to do then, Durbin?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Under Arizona law, a Senate vacancy is filled by the Governor appointing a replacement of the same party, which can happen in 24 hours or less.

Just saying.

^^^^^^^ This!!

Come on McCain do us a solid for once.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wish I were in control of McCain's morphine trigger...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
How did NBC get the info first?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
deepocean, did you take physics from Leon Lederman?

quote:
Leon Lederman taught this way

I wish. He gave a guest lecture while I was an undergrad entitled something like "Particle Physics for English Students." I was a physics major, but I went because I wanted to hear him and shake his hand. It was one of the most inspiring lectures I have heard in my life.

He was brilliant, approachable, and humble. He won a nobel prize the following year.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's Brett Kavanaugh.

I'm not familiar with his record, but the left is dhitting itself, so that's good.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Kavanaugh would be the McConnell/establishment pick. Probably one of the least controversial and easiest to get through, but that means he's also potentially less reliably conservative. Not an apostate like Souter, or squishy like Kennedy, but potentially Roberts like, more political in his decisions.

I miss Scalia, and always will.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Well, that doesn't sound like quite what I was hoping for. But, I'll need to educate myself about him before deciding how I feel about it.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Kavanaugh would be the McConnell/establishment pick. Probably one of the least controversial and easiest to get through, but that means he's also potentially less reliably conservative. Not an apostate like Souter, or squishy like Kennedy, but potentially Roberts like, more political in his decisions.

I thought McConnell wanted Kethledge?

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

So this, posted by Bama in the other thread, is not to be believed then?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Unless, I'm missing something such "scores" are based on analyzing votes (or desired results), not judicial philosophy.

Therefore, if someone is truly looking for someone who believes in strict interpretation of the law, then that type of "score" is meaningless.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

So this, posted by Bama in the other thread, is not to be believed then?

I saw one that said he was closer to Roberts, but I like this one better. We'll find out soon. We just have to hope for the best.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, of course. Some of you guys are unhappy with or uncertain of President Trump's pick. What a surprise. Say, tell me- who do you think President Hillary Clinton would have chosen, and how happy might you be with her selection? Roll Eyes

Sure, the first illegal immigrant Supreme Court Justice would be great, huh?

Good grief

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Republicans have a very bad history of picking Supreme Court Justices in the last 50 years. Only 50% of their picks have turned out to be reliably conservative. Some have been squishy, while others have turned out to be outright activist liberals. Democrats, on the other hand, have successfully picked reliable liberal votes every time with Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan.

The notable Republican failures:
Ford was 0 for 1 with Stevens
Reagan was 2 for 4 with O'Connor and Kennedy
Bush 41 was 1 for 2 with Souter
Bush 43 was 1 for 2 with Roberts

Up until Trump, Republicans could do no better than 50%. and remember, these were picks Republicans were happy with, initially. Trump is batting 1000 with Gorsuch, and I am hopeful about Cavanaugh. But, I believe we have a right to be concerned and even skeptical given the abysmal historical record and the stakes involved.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, you're right. Kavanaugh is a horrible choice. President Trump screwed up badly. It's horrible.

We're doomed. We're lost. Call the White House and give them your special insight and straighten them out before it's too late!!

Clearly, President Trump doesn't know what he's doing. Just look at how very little he has accomplished so far.

Let's get Hillary on the phone. She has the wisdom to guide us.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, of course. Some of you guys are unhappy with or uncertain of President Trump's pick. What a surprise. Say, tell me- who do you think President Hillary Clinton would have chosen, and how happy might you be with her selection? Roll Eyes

Sure, the first illegal immigrant Supreme Court Justice would be great, huh?

Good grief

Exactly....let's keep things in perspective. Any Jurist on Trump's list is a billion times better than the Beast's

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My gleeful hope is they get him on the bench before Oct so the progs cry themselves into staying home for the mid terms due to not having safe spaces at the ballot box.

This could demoralize them or push the stupid ones into doing something really stupid....either way it's a win win!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
My gleeful hope is they get him on the bench before Oct so the progs cry themselves into staying home for the mid terms due to not having safe spaces at the ballot box.

This could demoralize them or push the stupid ones into doing something really stupid....either way it's a win win!

November elections are 4 months away - that's a long ways off. I think Trumps decision was partially based on selecting a candidate that he could get on the bench within 90-days. However, I am not sure why the left feels so confident that the November elections are going to swing their way?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
President Trump could appoint Gloria Allred and they'd fight him and trash her with equal enthusiasm.

They don't give two shits about who gets appointed they are fighting him at all costs no matter what.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

November elections are 4 months away - that's a long ways off. I think Trumps decision was partially based on selecting a candidate that he could get on the bench within 90-days. However, I am not sure why the left feels so confident that the November elections are going to swing their way?

Hope springs eternal for the leftists. It’s only conservative purists who can never be happy or hopeful.

One tactic they appear to be executing is to hold the vote in time to seat the new Justice in time for the new term, first Monday of October. This will also give those red state God Damned Commies a hideous choice, whether to go along with a superbly qualified nominee and face Chuck, or hold out, refuse to approve and consent, hopefully force Trump to hold off, then have to face the voters who will not be happy. After the election, the pressure is off for awhile.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post