SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread.
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Justice Amy Coney Barrett thread. Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Look at this BS from MSDNC, someone had this posted on FB Roll Eyes

Elana Kagan NEVER SERVED AS A JUDGE, btw. And they have to find the most unflattering photo they can of this woman? GTFOH

Ooooh.. Don't bring facts into it. I stop by FB every now and then and someone posted that Justice Barrett only has a few years as judge and is totally unqualified but the second I bring up Justice Kagan's non-service, I get blasted. lol. enjoying those tears!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

There are some Senate actions (overturning vetos, voting articles of impeachment, etc.) that need a 2/3 majority (67 votes) but passing legislation still just needs a simple majority to pass, once it's put to a vote, as has always been true. Senate rules have come to require 60 votes to end debate (or stop a filibuster) and proceed to a vote.

Ah yes. I was thinking of the filibuster. Thanks for the correction.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Stuart Varney just reported that NBC and CBS News both gave 50 seconds of time to the confirmation of Justice Barrett. ABC News gave 0 seconds to her confirmation. Zero

Posts: 13299 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
{satire alert}

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

quote:

Newly Sworn-In ACB Immediately Orders All Nation's Women To Wear Handmaid's Outfit

October 26th, 2020
The Babylon Bee

WASHINGTON, D.C.—After being sworn in as a Supreme Court justice, Amy Coney Barrett immediately issued a decree that all women are to wear red handmaid's outfits for the rest of their lives.

"Execute papal order 66," she said, her eyes glowing red. "Implement the theocratic state."

Barrett sent out squads of soldiers to round up women and make sure they wear the garment at all times. All women are now required to bear at least seventeen babies. Attendance at Catholic Mass is also mandatory. Those who violate the order will be executed, "no exceptions," said Barrett.

"She can't do this! This is unconstitutional!" screamed Rachel Maddow as enforcement squads kicked in the doors at MSNBC's studios and grabbed her for reconditioning as a subservient handmaid. "I warned you! I WARNED ALL OF YOU!"

The whole country turning into a Christofascist state seems to be a negative to many, but the nation is quite a bit more peaceful now.

Link

Posts: 33859 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Elana Kagan NEVER SERVED AS A JUDGE, btw. And they have to find the most unflattering photo they can of this woman? GTFOH

Lots of salty libs today, I savor their tears!

Kagan and Barrett's career paths were similar. Both are primarily academics. Kagan was solicitor general for a year and Barrett was on the Court of Appeals for two years. Other than that, their career arcs are similar. I have been irritating lefties who criticize Barrett for it by pointing out how similar Kagan is in that respect.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Also, Harry Reid changed the rules to a simple majority vote to get obamacare through.

I don't think you have that right. Legislation still requires a 2/3rds vote. Harry Reid did change the rules for federal court judges to a simple majority though.

This is what Senate democrats are threatening to change though if they gain power.

There are some Senate actions (overturning vetos, voting articles of impeachment, etc.) that need a 2/3 majority (67 votes) but passing legislation still just needs a simple majority to pass, once it's put to a vote, as has always been true. Senate rules have come to require 60 votes to end debate (or stop a filibuster) and proceed to a vote.

Dems are coy about their intent to get rid of the filibuster altogether, because they fear that if they show their hand before they know for sure they'll have control of the Senate, then they will have given McConnell the moral high ground to do 'hit them back first.'

As you note, Reid's "nuclear option" only got rid of the filibuster on court nominees (other than Supremes) and had no effect on passing legislation.

What Reid did do to get Obamacare through (slight thread drift - sorry) was to waive rules to rush it through once Scott Brown (R-MA) won the special election after Ted Kennedy passed. It is hard to imagine now, but until Brown got in, that particular Senate was so soaked in blue that the Dems had 60 seats! Brown gave the Republicans 41 seats, and thus a filibuster option, so Reid was bound and determined to get Obamacare through before the Republicans would have a seat at the table.

This is the proper explanation, since there is much confusion.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I have waited for ACB's Justice term to start, bravo!

What happened after the Senate vote? A lady took the chair where Grassley was sitting and the Senate conducted some additional business. It sounded like a (lower court) judge confirmation vote.

I hope so, because with the Dims not present McConnell could have gotten another judge through.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump seems to know how to select conservatives Supreme Court nominees. Why did previous Republican Presidents find this task so difficult to not screw up?

In my opinion, the secret to Trump’s success in this area is having picked legal advisors who were willing to push serious originalists for his consideration: his first WH Counsel, Don McGahn, and his current one, Pat Cipollone, have worked closely with the Federalist Society and its former executive Vice President, Leonard Leo, and carefully gone through the “paper trail” of all potential nominees.

It appears to have been Trump’s idea to publish a list during the 2016 campaign, which was a master stroke of strategy; and the tactics then involved the heavy lifting of careful review of the nominees.

Link-but click on link to original article on foxnews.com

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happened after the Senate vote?

McConnell filed cloture on another judge.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Lots of salty libs today, I savor their tears!

Kagan and Barrett's career paths were similar. Both are primarily academics. Kagan was solicitor general for a year and Barrett was on the Court of Appeals for two years. Other than that, their career arcs are similar. I have been irritating lefties who criticize Barrett for it by pointing out how similar Kagan is in that respect.
I don't believe there is even a rule that one must be a lawyer to be a Supreme Court Justice. I doubt a non-lawyer would be considered these days, but apparently it is legal.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You know the handmaiden thing was satire because they referred to Rachael Madcow as a woman

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Fascists force ACB's sorority to rescind their congratulations of Amy Coney Barrett

https://tennesseestar.com/2020...83rqrhzp3yUsoANp0WBM

The Kappa Delta sorority deleted and apologized for a congratulatory message for Amy Coney Barrett, who was a member of the sorority during her time at Rhodes College.

The sorority tweeted an image of a statement, saying “KD alumna Amy Coney Barrett was nominated to serve on the Supreme Court. While we do not take a stand on political appointments, we recognize Judge Coney Barrett’s significant accomplishment. We acknowledge our members have a variety of views and a right to their own beliefs.”

The next day, the sorority deleted the tweet and posted an apology statement.

The organization stated that it was “deeply sorry” for the “hurtful” original statement.

“Our approach was disappointing and hurtful to many,” said the new statement. “We did not intend to enter a political debate, take a stand on the Supreme Court nomination, cause division among our sisters, or alienate any of our members.”

The sorority also recalled its new “intentional journey” to focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.

“Thank you for holding us accountable,” it concluded.

However, many on Twitter expressed disappointment in the apology.

“Don’t let the internet bully you,” said one user. “It’s an amazing accomplishment that one of our sisters was nominated to the highest court in the land! Regardless of politics or not. Also, judges judge based off the constitution and law, not opinions and politics.”

“What’s disappointing is that you let yourself be bullied and showed that ‘once a KD always a KD’ isn’t true. Amy Coney Barrett, regardless of her political affiliation, is a Kappa Delta sister. She deserves acknowledgement for her achievement from her sorority. Disgraceful,” said another.

Alumni also launched a petition titled “Kappa Deltas Against Judge Amy Coney Barrett,” which alleges that Barrett “does not intend to defend the rights of marginalized peoples,” including “BIPOC and LGBQT+ communities.”

The petition has garnered more than 11,500 signatures.

Eli Dueker, a Kappa Delta alum, professor at Bard College, and self-professed transgender man, wrote an op-ed denouncing Barrett’s potential influence on the Supreme Court. Dueker recalled Barrett as “a dedicated new sister, whip-smart, and incredibly kind,” but expressed concern that “access to healthcare and abortion” for “women, men, non-binary people — whether queer, trans, or straight” would be threatened if Barrett is confirmed.

“I reject the idea of a Judge Coney Barrett, whose views undermine the health and safety of others, having a lifetime sway on the Supreme Court stage,” said Dueker.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ A strong argument for not considering KD sorority when looking for a society to join. Obviously, they do not take "sisterhood" seriously.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/ka...angry-mob-went-nuts/

The angry mob came for the Girl Scouts of America Wednesday evening when the organization dared to post congratulations to Justice Amy Coney Barrett. The post should have been perfectly acceptable to everyone, as it was nonpartisan in nature.

The Girl Scouts deleted the tweet and Facebook post after the backlash from the angry left began

cowards

DEM Ayanna Pressley: What kind of patch does one earn for uplifting a woman who is the antithesis of justice?

An antithesis of justice? So much for supporting all women, right?

Girl Scouts:

"Earlier today, we shared a post highlighting the five women who have been appointed to the Supreme Court. It was quickly viewed as a political and partisan statement which was not our intent and we have removed the post."

Girl Scouts = Cowards

Posts: 19602 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I thought the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts had simply been folded into Scouting?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I thought the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts had simply been folded into Scouting?

Nope. Just the Boy Scouts have been integrated. The Girl Scouts are still their own entity as I remember correctly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, you can scratch the Girl Scouts off of any organization that I'll ever consider my daughters participating with. I don't want my daughters associating with cowards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Girl Scouts

Girl Scouts
@girlscouts
Earlier today, we shared a post highlighting the five women who have been appointed to the Supreme Court. It was quickly viewed as a political and partisan statement which was not our intent and we have removed the post.

Megyn Kelly
@megynkelly
This is pathetic @girlscouts
. It’s not “partisan” to generically congratulate the 5th woman ever to join the High Court. It’s patriotic. Taking your tweet down *is* partisan, however, and a real disappointment.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This Country really demonstrates how much ignorance and hate exists within. It didn't used to be that way, but it sure is now......and I despise it!!!

Posts: 6629 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post