SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheaper Than Dirt price gouging (again)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheaper Than Dirt price gouging (again) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Follow up:

Texas attorney general accuses firearms website of price gouging at start of pandemic
Katie Hall, Austin American-Statesman 6 days ago
3-4 minutes
a close up of a tool: Courts © American-Statesman file Courts

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has accused the Fort Worth-based website Cheaper Than Dirt, which primarily sells firearms, ammunition and hunting gear, of price gouging at the start of the pandemic.

The AG's office identified over 4,000 sales that involved price gouging and has directed Cheaper Than Dirt to pay $402,786 in refunds to consumers, according to court documents filed this month.

Over 100 people have complained to the AG's office about Cheaper Than Dirt, the Houston Chronicle reported earlier this year.

The same week that Gov. Greg Abbott made a pandemic-related disaster declaration in Texas, ammunition orders to Cheaper Than Dirt substantially increased. In response to the increased demand for its products, the website raised the prices on hundreds of its products, according to the AG's office.

The Texas AG's office has identified ammunition as a necessity and, as a result, is arguing that those price hikes were against the Texas Business and Commerce Code. The code forbids businesses from "taking advantage of a disaster" by selling "fuel, food, medicine, lodging, building materials, construction tools or another necessity at an exorbitant or excessive price."

Additionally, the following weekend that Abbott issued the disaster declaration, Cheaper Than Dirt manually raised its prices outside of its normal schedule.

"Making these manual 'real-time' price changes caused confusion for consumers because the prices consumers saw on the website pages when selecting items for purchase were different from the prices that appeared in the final check-out cart," the AG's office said in court documents.

Online court records do not list an attorney on file for the company, and the company could not be immediately reached for comment. Cheaper Than Dirt declined to respond for the Houston Chronicle's April report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...pandemic/ar-BB1bZtN1

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^God Bless Texas!!! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8962 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Seems that every time gouging comes up with Cheaper Than Dirt, you have people apologize for them.

Seems Texas doesn’t believe those who are explaining this away.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Shutter those bastards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30437 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It is simply well beyond my comprehension why anyone, specifically long time gun owners, is still doing business with those pieces of shit. How have they not gone out of business yet?

Ditto. I don't subscribe to their emails, get their catalogue, or check their website; they don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

I could understand some newb who doesn't know any better giving them a look, but no informed gun owner should be giving them the time of day, much less $$.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So wait. I don’t patronize CTD. But I’m curious : it’s not okay for them to raise prices but it’s okay for people to buy from them at “normal” prices and then resell at “gouging” prices? Business can’t gouge but private persons can scalp? One is gouging, the other is capitalism? There is a nuance here I’m not getting.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
None of my dough....... I really loathe them......

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
So wait. I don’t patronize CTD. But I’m curious : it’s not okay for them to raise prices but it’s okay for people to buy from them at “normal” prices and then resell at “gouging” prices? Business can’t gouge but private persons can scalp? One is gouging, the other is capitalism? There is a nuance here I’m not getting.

Who says it's "ok"? Let's say, as an example, you are one of those "people", and I see you're doing it, I'm going to call you out. And try to pull that stunt on here in the Classifieds, and you'll quickly find out how "ok" it is.

Q

Posts: 26515 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yep people were happy to buy at severely over inflated prices in the classifieds from this very forum. I couldn’t personally gouge the Sig members but I did put thousands of rounds on GB and let the price fall where it may and people paid what I thought was ridiculous prices for it.

I like what Texas did but how do they have a leg to stand on. No one is forcing grown adults to buy anything. That’s on them.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I don’t patronize CTD either... but many of the places I do buy from also have inflated prices right now. But at least they have something to buy. The places that list items at more "normal" prices don't have anything available to sell.

Eventually, supply will catch up with demand and prices will drop. It sure makes me happy I followed Para's advice and stocked up when prices were reasonable.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post