SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheaper Than Dirt price gouging (again)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheaper Than Dirt price gouging (again) Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted
This is what they did during the last panic.

Cheaper than Dirt price gouging again

from the Houston Chronicle

As coronavirus panic shopping started, one of the retailers drawing the most price-gouging complaints in Texas was a Fort Worth-headquartered, online-only gun store that customers say isn’t living up to its name: Cheaper Than Dirt.

“I said, ‘Wow, this can’t be right,’” said Houstonian Kevin Switzer, who filed a complaint with the Texas Attorney General’s office after coming across the prices while shopping for ammunition. “‘There’s no way. Two or three weeks ago, this price was way less.’”

Switzer is one of 123 to complain to the office so far about Cheaper Than Dirt. Switzer and other shoppers reported markups such as a package of 1,000 rounds of .223 Remington rifle ammunition that once cost around $300 being sold for $900. Others said the company was canceling orders under previous prices claiming they were out of stock only to immediately re-list the product at a higher price.

“No more different from the folks trying to amp up hand sanitizer on eBay or Amazon,” Switzer said. “This is no different from that.”

The attorney general’s office had received more than 1,000 complaints of price gouging before the month of March was over. Many had to do with sticker shock on typical essentials, such as toilet paper and gasoline, and most were directed at big-name companies such as Walmart and Amazon. But over a weeklong period in mid-March, at the peak of panic buying as Texas mayors and county judges called stay-at-home orders, no company received more than Cheaper Than Dirt.

A spokeswoman for the company declined to comment.

It’s unclear whether guns and ammunition are items subject to Texas’ price gouging law.

Kayleigh Date, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office, said the consumer protection division is reviewing the complaints. She would neither confirm nor deny whether Cheaper Than Dirt is under investigation. But a high volume of complaints can trigger an investigation, she said.

“There is no exact number for determining price gouging; however, a high number of complaints can contribute to initiating investigations,” Date said.

‘The world has changed’

A message on the Cheaper Than Dirt website, which has since been taken down, said that during one week in mid-March, it received more than 10 times the normal number of orders. As the company warned customers that order processing would be delayed, it seemed to put the blame on new customers for not stocking up sooner.

“As everyone is aware, the world has changed. Preparing and ordering key supplies in advance has put you ahead of the others hoarding. We salute you for having a plan, and making the smart decision to order early,” the website read. “Those who did not plan will be too late and run into limited supplies, higher prices, and stress.”

The complaints against the company came from across the state, from Dallas to Houston, and some were even filed by online shoppers out-of-state. Hundreds of comments filled the company’s Facebook comment sections, as shoppers posted screenshots of prices they saw as exorbitant and accused the company of exploiting customers during a crisis.

As the coronavirus pandemic first started to unfold, people turned out in droves to gun stores to stock up, wanting to make sure they were equipped for any potential civil unrest. Gun sales across the nation spiked, and the FBI conducted a record 3.7 million background checks in March — the most for a single month since the agency’s reporting system launched in 1998.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton paved the way for even more sales when on March 27 he issued a nonbinding legal opinion stating that gun stores should be considered essential businesses under any stay-at-home order.

FIRST PRICE GOUGING CASE: Texas AG accuses company auctioning N95 masks of price gouging

Texans may have been snapping up guns and ammunition like they were essential, but the law is far from straightforward. Texas price gouging law specifically mentions certain items like fuel, food and medicine, but goes on to add: “or another necessity.”

That last clause is left open to the attorney general’s office to interpret, said Michael A. Giberson, an associate professor at Texas Tech University who studies price gouging. Date, the spokeswoman for the office, said it has no official opinion at this time.

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It is simply well beyond my comprehension why anyone, specifically long time gun owners, is still doing business with those pieces of shit. How have they not gone out of business yet?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30440 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I've steered (or at least advised) a few people away from them.

I'll gladly pay a bit more (normal pricing) elsewhere than give CTD my money.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15394 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
If people wouldn't buy from them, they['d go out of business.
Apparently no one remember the Oblammo years.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39771 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Come on now. It's just capitalism.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The only things they ever sell “cheaper than dirt” are rarely worth buying. No thanks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So $899 for 1k rounds of S&B 55gr SP isn’t a good deal then?...

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Cheaper Than Dirt = Scum Of The Earth

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Tenny (CEO) and Irwin (President) sure made a great business, didn't they?

Making headlines since 1993!

Roberta Wilson is has been the COO for 22 years.

And Tenny is a co-founder of Orant Charities.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve never purchased anything g from them. I’ve heard stories over the years and don’t even bother clicking on links to their offerings.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didnt gouge me. I wont buy a thing from them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Those clowns have been dead to me for a long, long time.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10499 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Shame on them! Again!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38727 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will never see any of my money!!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Yep

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crooks of the worst kind.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
If people wouldn't buy from them, they['d go out of business.
Bingo. Apparently there 'are' enough new buyers, or people who don't give damn, for them to hose and stay in business.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It is simply well beyond my comprehension why anyone, specifically long time gun owners, is still doing business with those pieces of shit.

All that needs to be said...

Posts: 2042 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered from them a few times in the mid 2000s and haven't gone near them since they jacked up prices after Sandy Hook. This business has no business in being in business. They do not care about their customers or their reputation.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I’d rather go without than give them a single penny of my money.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post