SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attempted scolding by mask Karen didn’t go well with me.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attempted scolding by mask Karen didn’t go well with me. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think I'd just turn my back to them and fart. Then ask how's the mask working for you now.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Shout repeatedly over and over:

Black Lies Matter!

Black Lies Matter!!

Black Lies Matter!!!

Might get you on Fox News in a quick video clip.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I have never been confronted by a mask Karen. I don't wear one even though we have a thirty day mask mandate in our town now. Most I have ever gotten is maybe the stink eye from someone. Actually I get more knowing smiles from others who won't mask up.

If I ever do get confronted by a Karen I will not respond in any way that may escalate that person. The reason is I'm usually carrying. I will avoid any and all confrontation possible when I'm armed. I will walk away every time if possible. To me someone who willingly engages a complete stranger in a confrontation over a mask in a public setting is already unstable and provoking that person to escalate the situation could lead to all sorts of bad things happening. Often times these Karens aren't alone. They have husbands or boyfriends with them. I will let that person think they may have publicly humiliated me but I know nothing is further from the truth.

This is wise, even you don't have a pistol in your pocket. As much as we'd all like to fly off the handle and yell back, we all know from arguing on the internet that you can't talk anyone out of almost anything, and screaming and yelling will not increase your odds of success.

Non-engagement. It may drive them more crazy anyway, if that helps you feel better about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
I have never been confronted by a mask Karen. I don't wear one even though we have a thirty day mask mandate in our town now. Most I have ever gotten is maybe the stink eye from someone. Actually I get more knowing smiles from others who won't mask up.

If I ever do get confronted by a Karen I will not respond in any way that may escalate that person. The reason is I'm usually carrying. I will avoid any and all confrontation possible when I'm armed. I will walk away every time if possible. To me someone who willingly engages a complete stranger in a confrontation over a mask in a public setting is already unstable and provoking that person to escalate the situation could lead to all sorts of bad things happening. Often times these Karens aren't alone. They have husbands or boyfriends with them. I will let that person think they may have publicly humiliated me but I know nothing is further from the truth.

This is wise, even you don't have a pistol in your pocket. As much as we'd all like to fly off the handle and yell back, we all know from arguing on the internet that you can't talk anyone out of almost anything, and screaming and yelling will not increase your odds of success.

Non-engagement. It may drive them more crazy anyway, if that helps you feel better about it.

Agreed.

But the passing of foul wind may be the best answer posted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
quote:

Agreed.

But the passing of foul wind may be the best answer posted.

Other than a constant diet of beans, how do you carry the extra ammo to be loaded on demand?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

As much as we'd all like to fly off the handle and yell back, we all know from arguing on the internet that you can't talk anyone out of almost anything, and screaming and yelling will not increase your odds of success.

Ya know you can engage without "screaming and yelling".
FWIW, the OP mostly just ignored the crazy Karen anyway.
I would also say this > If you are scared to talk to somebody when you are carrying then maybe you shouldn't be.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you, sort of. I'm glad that I'm retired and no longer might have to respond to a call of two morons arguing in the middle of a store over something as inane as a piece of cloth like 3rd graders fighting on a playground.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

As much as we'd all like to fly off the handle and yell back, we all know from arguing on the internet that you can't talk anyone out of almost anything, and screaming and yelling will not increase your odds of success.

I would also say this > If you are scared to talk to somebody when you are carrying then maybe you shouldn't be.

Who said anything about being scared to talk to somebody? Avoiding confrontation and being scared to talk to someone is a asinine comparison. I would say if you are willing to allow yourself to enter into a confrontation about a stupid mask you are the one who should not be allowed to carry.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not for long, he soon started in with some puerile comedy routine abut not speaking English.

It isn't like he responded with "Ma'am, there is no legal mask mandate in this jurisdiction and I wish to follow that policy. You do as you wish, and so shall I."

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
quote:

Not for long, he soon started in with some puerile comedy routine abut not speaking English.

It isn't like he responded with "Ma'am, there is no legal mask mandate in this jurisdiction and I wish to follow that policy. You do as you wish, and so shall I."

Pointing out their hypocrisy to a liberal is a waste of oxygen. It won’t change the situation one iota. This is a mistake the conservatives make repeatedly.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agreed. De-escalation is the more difficult skill, and should be used as the primary technique, once mastered.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Pointing out their hypocrisy to a liberal is a waste of oxygen. It won’t change the situation one iota. This is a mistake the conservatives make repeatedly.

There's no changing someone's mind over an issue like this, in the middle of the deli aisle. It's pointless from both perspectives. And it's how bar fights start.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Conservatives make the mistake of assuming logic and reason capability of liberals. As you've pointed out. We hit that pretty well in the other thread. A productive argument, in my opinion, starts with distilling down to the most basic level of disagreement and resolving differences there. Should that be possible, working your way up into the particular issue at hand establishing common ground along the way is the only viable hope of agreement.

I find more and more it isn't worth the effort and frustration to seek the common ground and work up from there. It's too deep to find, and liberals these days are too deeply brainwashed and ignorant.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There's no changing someone's mind over an issue like this, in the middle of the deli aisle. It's pointless from both perspectives. And it's how bar fights start.

This isn’t a bar fight…

This is for our liberty to not be assaulted by total strangers in public.

If you wish to explain the law to them if and whenever you arrive… Fine. Not my job.

Besides no cops are getting called in this city; not unless it’s 25-40 minutes after the shooting. An argument at the grocery store? Please, no one’s coming. 911 won’t send a unit.

~Robert A. Heinlein

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:

Agreed. De-escalation is the more difficult skill, and should be used as the primary technique, once mastered.

De-esculation is an effective tool for keeping peace in the moment. It's probably the best answer most of the time. It solve nothing other than a peaceful escape from a situation. It's great for a third party who just needs to get potential threats off a property to solve their problem elsewhere. It doesn't keep said Karen from continuing to trample on others.

www.rikrlandvs.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I would have just dead panned from the start that she better stay away if she's afraid to get the Covid from you and wait until you're done before she comes up to the deli.

No need to play cute with "i don't speak English" because, as you experienced, you simply prolonged the interaction.
Hey, I thought he did good. Almost classic. Big Grin

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post

Yes, but I acknowledged that by saying you can't generally even talk someone out of a belief like that.

Scared? It isn't scared, it is not wanting to escalate with a person who is already somewhat irrational and who could get worse. In other words don't create a worse problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
farmer blow

That's a new one for me, had to bleep bloop on the google to find out there was a term for it.
The kids always called it a Snot Rocket around here.

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is for our liberty to not be assaulted by total strangers in public.

Don't be a snowflake - no one was being "assaulted" in this scenario. But it could have escalated because the OP chose to engage

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Other than a constant diet of beans, how do you carry the extra ammo to be loaded on demand?

Please, allow me to be of assistance:

https://whitenoisesystems.com/...-fart-spray-reviews/

Most self defense trainers advise having a a less than lethal option.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post