SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Boy Decided He Wanted a Custom Chess Board, So He Built One ***New Photos of Skull Chess Pieces on PG 4***
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Boy Decided He Wanted a Custom Chess Board, So He Built One ***New Photos of Skull Chess Pieces on PG 4*** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great project outcome and talented kid!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Awesome Job!

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
One question if I may. What is the purpose of the corner elements, just a design characteristic or functional of some sort?

Those are castle turrets.

Fantastic chessboard!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work, great father-son time and a great lesson for your son!

You hit a home run, dad!

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
That is AWSOME craftmanship.... retired custom cabinet maker with 30plus years..and still have all 10 of my fingers intact...... drill sgt.

Posts: 2082 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Impressive work!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Beautiful work.

I'll admit that when I first saw the picture, I thought I was looking at a bed sized chess board. It looked like the cabinet was the headboard.

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Nice work! It's great to see young folks out there that are true craftsmen. Can't wait to see his next project.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice father son project, looks good.

Posts: 197 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!
Reminds me what a crummy father I was compared to my own, who inspired me to build things in wood.
Our boys were always interested in math, maybe video games; I didn’t build things with them.
Maybe will do better with the grandkid.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

Posts: 3477 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is great, I always wanted to do woodworking but did not have the patience. Tell him it looks great.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Giving kids the opportunity for these types of activities is of immeasurable benefit. I enjoyed my time in “Industrial Arts(shop)” way back in the day.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very, very nicely done.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Impressive!

Posts: 11415 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Outstanding craftsmanship. That will be something that your son can pass down one day.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2391 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Great job to both of you!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the kind replies. He has enjoyed reading them all, and they're making his head swell a bit... particularly those from experienced woodworkers.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
I admire fine wood work such as his. Will he put in some kind of liner/piece holder in the drawer so they don't damage?

He had milled the stock for 1/4" partitions but he ran out of time so he hasn't done it yet. He was talking about using some foam layers (like the type found in gun cases) to "cradle the pieces as well.

quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Very impressive!

One question if I may. What is the purpose of the corner elements, just a design characteristic or functional of some sort?

Also, if you and your son haven’t already done so now is the time to start a portfolio. Include time spent, tools used and your photos. Not only will it help him remember years down the road, but he can use it during interviews to show his capabilities.

As ggile has already said, that is primarily a design element meant to mimic the embattled parapets (turrets) typical of castles. These have the added design function as transition from the drawers as well as the structural function of the "walls" on those sides with the drawers.

quote:
Originally posted by Turning_gal:
What a wonderful heirloom he created. He will enjoy this accomplishment for a very long time.
Wondering if he will try to learn to wood-turn the rest of the pieces?
Congratulations on a job well done.

He has mentioned that at some point he would like to create wooden pieces to switch in and out with the 3D printed PLA pieces that he has now. He has also expressed an interest in making a small forge to melt aluminum cans and scrap extruded aluminum to create a lost PLA casting of the skull pieces has has now.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Amazing! Thank you for raising a fine boy!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post