SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Boy Decided He Wanted a Custom Chess Board, So He Built One ***New Photos of Skull Chess Pieces on PG 4***
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Boy Decided He Wanted a Custom Chess Board, So He Built One ***New Photos of Skull Chess Pieces on PG 4*** Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
Although my boy was born addicted to drugs (thanks to his biological mother) he has shown only a few minor physical issues and zero cognitive issues. He's a decent athlete and will likely letter in soccer and baseball. He's in both the talented theater and talented music programs here as well as Jr. BETA. He goes to a magnet program school that concentrates on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) and it turns out has a pretty good competition chess team. Oh yeah... and within a year he'll be an Eagle Scout.

While all of that is awesome, his sudden interest in woodworking and mechanics has me the most excited for his future. As I see it, these things will enable him to understand all of that STEM content even better by having real hands on experience.

Anyway, a while back he wanted to 3D print some cool skull themed chess pieces... so we did. Then he wanted a custom chess board. He showed me one that could be purchased for a couple of hundred dollars. I told him that he could build one for much less and learn a lot in the process. So... we got on AutoCAD and knocked out a plan. Then we asked the robotics instructor at the high school I teach at (who has been trying to recruit my boy) if we could use his facilities. Well... it turns out that they have an outreach program where they show prospective future robotics students how wood and metal working is important in robotics.

So... he began work on January 13th and finished very late February 2nd just in time to enter his chess board into the State Jr. BETA competition. I taught him him the safety and use of the equipment as well as the basics of wood working as he went and I allowed him to make his own mistakes and more importantly to decide what to do about them. He had some burned wood issues that he let go because the worst of it was on the inside cut of a rabbet joint. He also had a few minor tear out issues and a few minors gaps in his joinery, but all in all he did a damned nice job.

Those minor issues (that he would have corrected had he had the time) kept him from a podium at the Jr. BETA competition, but he really didn't mind. He's just really happy that he has a custom chess board on which to play. This is the completed chess board, well... almost completed. He wanted to put dividers in the drawers but ran out of time. He had milled the stock for it so I'm sure that will happen soon.

This is him during the process when I happened to think to take photos.

We ran out time and had to finish it at home with my inferior tools (which is where many of he "issues" came from).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parallel,

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! and that's coming from a 33 year owner operator of a cabinet shop.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Totally badass.

Can't wait to see a photo with the pieces.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. He’s a talented young man.

Posts: 17625 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful....you should be very proud !!

Posts: 1295 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Super cool. You must be proud!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I’m from a modest family in west Texas and I have seen there are 2 kinds of men:
1. Those that can make things
2. Those that can’t

Congrats to you for spending the time and effort to show him what being resourceful is.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nicely done...both of you!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! It looks as nice as my old Drueke board!

Posts: 6723 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
nicely done. very impressive

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I admire fine wood work such as his. Will he put in some kind of liner/piece holder in the drawer so they don't damage?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Very nice! He is really talented!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats working with your hands. Fine job.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!
You should be very proud

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

Not to be "that guy" but I didn't notice any hearing protection in the power tool pictures. Saws and planers particularly are VERY loud.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Impressive.

Seriously, I made my own portable chess table when I was in high school. But I used only paint for the squares.

Your kid’s look so much better.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Awesome.
There’s just something magical about working with wood..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Well done, both of you!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Off the hook...nicely done!! That’s some quality father/son time right there....good on ya, dad!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post