SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted
Hi All

I am teasing the idea of getting a new SUV. Considering they just released the 6th gen, I don’t really want to be a beta tester and probably will include a price increase. That said I do like the new tech included but there’s a reliability question.

Any feedback/opinions from current owners, especially 5th Gen owners on known failure points, reliability, maintenance costs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig 226,

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2022 SR5 Premium we bought in May 2022. Just shy of 2 years and ~8,000 miles. Trouble free as expected with such low miles. Her prior 4Runner was a 99 and we sold it with 215,000, of which she put on 190,000.

As with any manufacturer, I would not buy a first year model. Either get a used 5th gen or wait until 2025, IMO.

Although back in Spring of 2022 a used one was almost the cost of a new one. Her SR5 premium stickered at ~$45k, and used ones with ~30,000 miles were going to ~$40k. No sense in buying used at those prices.

I was surprised at how much larger the 2022 was over the 1999. It was 5" larger in one dimension and 4" in the other. I can't remember which was which.

Posts: 5762 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a '19 limited. No issues other than the original tires were terrible and too skinny. Replaced with 275s at 20k when they wore out.

Shopped a LONG time for a used one, but like Goat said, they were within a couple thousand of new, so I chose new.

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traded my 20 Pro beginning of Feb 98000 miles. The 4L v6 and 5sp transmission are time tested and proven. Don’t expect great gas mileage 15-18 maybe 20mpg on hwy. 0-60 in about 5min.

I’d not hesitate recommending one to anyone. Great all round vehicle

Only drawback for me, being tall 6’3, was the seat didn’t extend under my thighs to make it comfortable on very long roadtrips. More a personal thing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased my 2018 TRD Off Road Premium in May, 2018.
At the time, a two-year-old used one with 30K miles was close to the price of a new one. So, I bought new.
In six years with 60k+ miles, it's been solid with few issues. Gas mileage isn't great (as noted), but its capabilities far exceed mine. It will go just about anywhere. I love that.
As you are looking for one, check out the KDSS system; the truck won't sway at speed like the normal ones. If you plan to lift it and put on big tires, I'd skip that feature.

Posts: 158 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd have no qualms picking up a good 5th or 4th gen T4R
My dad had 2 4th gens, a V6 & V8. I'd opt for the V6 to not have to deal with the timing belt.
IIRC, the 4.0 V6/5AT combo was mostly unchanged from something like 2003-2024.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bulletproof.

I own a 2016 SR5, bought with 33k on it. As of this morning I am over 270k miles on it. It has basically been dealer oil changes, tire rotations and brakes. I did have one seized front brake caliper that had to be replaced, and the windshield developed a crack along the bottom horizontal to where the defroster ducts warm the glass.

I think there is a lack of storage compartments in a truck of this size, I would definitively add heated seats/steering wheel to my next one as the winter warm up takes several minutes for the cabin to get heated on cold mornings. The headlights collect a good bit of gunk and do not do a great job of self cleaning so occasionally in dirty or snowy trips there is a noticeable degradation of headlight output, at least to me.

Everything else about the truck I love, and part of the reason it has so many miles is that I can't seem to find any other vehicle in that class that I would rather have. I have had, before the 4Runner, a Nissan Pathfinder (I could give you a whole book on why OI would never ever own another Nissan....), a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Dodge Durango. I had 321k on the Pathy, 220k on the Jeep and 270k on the Durango, Yes, you read that right. I just switched each vehicle to full synthetic oil and did regular oil changes. But none of those were as solid and the Toyota. I will buy another 5th Gen before I buy anything else at this point. I was looking at the Lexus GX460 but their v-8 needs premium fuel, and the 4Runner runs on 87. May sound trivial, but look again at the mileage of my cars, and add another $1 or so per gallon for all of those miles, and well, it adds up.

I'd like to jump into a 4Runner TRD Pro, but aside from the unique colors that they come up with, I'm not sure that i really need anything more than the SR5 Premium to get the heated seats and steering wheel. I just look for one off-lease with decent miles and try to get the best deal I can find.

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've also read, but haven't seen, that there's less cargo area in the models with the [not overly useful?] 3rd row seating.

If I were looking for one today, I'd probably try to find a Limited or Off-Road Premium model.
Personally, don't think I'd ever use a TRDPro as it's intended.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
2018 TRD Off Road Premium that I got at the end of 2017. Nearing 50k miles and no issues, as expected. The above comments are spot on. You’re at a point now where you can still find brand new 5th gens. Great vehicle. Good luck

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
2017 TRD ORP owner, 9x,xxx miles. Did brakes, battery, oil change.

In the world of bulletproof vehicles, the 5th gen is the gold standard. The 4.0L with the 5spd auto has been in several vehicles, it's very durable.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you plan to keep it long term, say >10 years, I suggest not ordering too many "bells and whistles" like, for example, the electronically driver-adjustable shocks that (according to a poster here) 3 grand to replace. This is very general advice for any car purchaser.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I have a 2020 Off-road Venture. It’s about as bulletproof as it gets.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Just a quick thanks for all the feedback and it’s overwhelming positive. I can tell it’s got a very strong following here.

Quick question, is the sliding cargo tray shelf a gimmick? Anyone have it and find it worth the money?

Edit to add - how about this factory console safe? Anyone have it?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Currently, I am thinking real hard on trading in my paid off Tacoma for a 2024 4Runner TRD ORP (Off Road Premium) in Underground paint. I like my truck but with just the backseat, I am left with the choice of either my dogs or people in the back seat....and none of my friends or family like riding in the truck bed. Wink

The 5th Gen 4Runner has been described as ancient, archaic, and boring....to me that means it is just about perfect. Big Grin

I am to the point on making a trip to the dealer next week to see what we can do as far as price, trade in, and arrival.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Quick question, is the sliding cargo tray shelf a gimmick? Anyone have it and find it worth the money?

Not a gimmick, definitely worth it. It allows for storage underneath the sliding tray. There's a shallow full length cargo bin at the front of it. It also provides for a totally flat floor when the seats are folded. It's great for storing things such as tow straps, jumper cables, tow hitch, etc.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
2024 4Runner TRD ORP

So the 6th gen will be model year 2025?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
This guy covers a lot on the 4runner

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my 2019 in for service. Checking out the lot. The "early" 2024's still have the 6. Sales guy said mid summer the late gens will be in only with 4's.
Paid about 38k for my no frills SR5 in 2019.
The same model in 2024 had a 55K tag!

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Gen 6 only in a 4-cyl turbo/hybrid?
Thank you NO very much

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a console safe in mine- fits great, works well. As mentioned above, if you go with 3rd row, it barely fits small children and elevates the cargo floor ~6 inches when folded. My work neighbor has a TRD Pro (mine is Limited), and she has the cargo tray. It doesn’t look terribly useful to me, though.

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post