SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here is my 2000 4Runner SR5. I purchased it new in August of 2000 at Austin Toyota. It is without a doubt, the best auto I have ever owned. In 24 years, I have had no issued whatsoever with it. It is used every day and still runs great.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2193 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Here's our 2003 Limited V8. Son loves it. Big Grin

He's turned down numerous unsolicited offers to buy it which says volumes.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to hijack the thread, but I have 4Runner questions too.

I'm thinking I'll be looking at a 5th Gen late this year, so I'm trying to do some studying now. I've primarily been looking at the SR5 Premium and TRD Offroad Premium models, baseically because it looks to me that getting the Premium pack is what it takes to get the sunroof. I do want that.

I despise our local Toyota dealer, and won't set foot on their lots during business hours, so my hands-on research is so far a bit limited. (I'll go visit a different dealer in the coming weeks.). Something I've noticed just by peeking through windows, though, is that the 4WD control on the SR5 versions is a knob while the TRD versions get a lever. What's the difference? Is it a different transfer case, or just a different "interface?"

Is the KDSS suspension worth its cost, or just added complexity? I get "off the path" sometimes, but I don't do any serious off-roading.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Since I just got a 2024 5th Gen 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Plus the end of April, I can answer some questions.

First, don't plan on getting one later in the year, it took my dealer over a week to find one that I wanted in my second choice of color last month. Toyota will be switching over to manufacturing the 6th Gen 2025 later this summer (probably sooner that later).

As far as I know, the whether it is a knob or the lever, it is basically the same, just that some people are old school enough to want the satisfying feeling of a lever. Big Grin . Now, the extra goodies such as ATRAC and Multi-Terrain Select, along with a locking rear differential are in the Off Road Models. I have heard KDSS is great for extreme off road and have also heard is it good for road driving in windy conditions and winding roads but I have never driven one with KDSS so I can't tell you.

I got the Off Road Premium Plus Package for the Multi-Terrain Monitor (similar to the Panoramic View monitor), and love it for parking in both my home and work garages, along with going off road and seeing what is exactly ahead and to the sides.

Posts: 3957 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I own a 2019 SR5 with 25k on it and a 2023 SR5 with 13k on it, both are 4 wheel drive.

The 2019 has been flawless. I bought the 2023 last year and it developed some vibration in the steering. It is intermittent and a common issue if you browse the forums. Toyota claims they cannot duplicate the problem so it still happens every once in a while. They did an alignment but that was it. I suggest test driving whatever you plan on buying. It’s hard to find since it seems random.

I will add that if you plan to tow anything on a regular basis pick the Tundra. It tows light stuff fine (like my ATV) but I was towing an empty U-Haul dual axle trailer and got 12 mpg empty and it seemed to struggle (it would not stay in overdrive so I was driving in 4th gear). I never got to tow it with my side by side in it, no telling what it would have gotten. I was wishing I had the 5.7 Tundra when I was towing.

Other than that, I like that they are made in Japan. If only I could get the vibration issue fixed.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We bought a very low mileage 2021 Highlander for my wife. Wanted the V6. We talked about a 4runner. She was going from a nice RX330 lexus and wanted the comfort.
I rarely drive her rig. But am regretting not getting the 4Runner.
The Highlander has so much useless tech it is ridiculous.
Having said that it gets 27mpg at 75 mph on the highway
In another year maybe I will talk her into trading it for a lightly used 4Runner Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19255 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have a 23 ORP. It has 9500 on the clock. I have zero complaints and plan on keeping it a long time. If you are into modifying your vehicle, the sky is the limit. The reliability of them is legendary. Just do the required maintenance and expect minimal issues.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the 6th gen ramping up you may be limited to the gen 5 you see on the lots. I went with an SR5 in 2018 and did a small lift and another add ons. I did not want KDSS just to keep it simple. The T4R has a soft suspension and shocking nose dive with braking. After market shocks are a bit firmer and help cure that. The T4R 4.0 engine lacks low end torque. No one will say it’s powerful and responsive. It’s truely weak and gutless on mountain passes or the highest roads in Colorado and such. If you want responsive look elsewhere or maybe see what the 6th gen has to offer. The T4R is popular only because, for what it is, it has been a proven reliable package.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 341 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
First, don't plan on getting one later in the year

I appreciate the warning... but house economics dictate it'll probably be November, earliest.

quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
some people are old school enough to want the satisfying feeling of a lever.

That'd be me! Smile

Thanks for the input on KDSS, too. I did some reading on that last night. What I learned is that a lot of people like it, and that it's really expensive to fix if it goes foul.

quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
The T4R is popular only because, for what it is, it has been a proven reliable package.

And that's exactly why I'm going to be shopping for one. Wink

- - - -

I'm a "keep a vehicle a long time" guy, my current SUV being 22 years old and showing over 320k miles. If I could get a 5th Gen 4R this year and keep it for 20, I'd be tickled pink.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post