SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4 Runner Owners - step in please Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Chellim, that shadow mica color is sharp!

Thank you, P250. I watched your Explorer/T4R thread intently.

My "brother from another mother" has had six 4Runners, still has three of them (an '00, and two '08 models -- one with the V8).
The body-on-frame platform, the slide-down rear window, and T4R's general reliability were key components in the decision.

I do like the window panels. Most of my surfing last night showed that they mount in the pockets where the cargo cover ends mount. I'd have to fabricate some alternate mounts... not impossible.

I'm searching now for O.E. connectors and terminals for the trailer wiring setup. I understand why Toyota pushed the connector so far forward, but I want to relocate it further back (without just using an extension cable). I'm nerdy enough to make my own, if necessary. Cool One article I read claims there's extra wire wrapped up in the existing bundle. I hope that's true, but I'm skeptical.

God bless America.

Posts: 13854 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Lots of links and videos:

4Runner Cheaper But Good Rear Window Molle Panels
Installation video in link.

Rough Country Molle Panel Clamp Kit

Here is a similar more expensive pair:

Grille Stealth Lights:

Raptor Lights:

Rock Light Installation (might be what you want for hooking up to hitch at night). Another option is just a removable magnetic pod light.

Switch Panel Installation:

Ditch Light Installation:

And from my experience Amber lights do much better job cutting through falling snow and fog. White light is good in dust but reflects back at you in fog and snow.

Posts: 4052 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've owned a half dozen 4Runners and now have a Tacoma. Of all the available mods, I wish I had know about this tune earlier. I would probably have kept the last 4Runner if I could have solved the gear hunting and throttle response issues. I read tone of info on the forums and the OTT and KDMAX tunes seem to dominate. I had the OTT applied three weeks ago and it made a huge improvement with no impact on MPG. YMMV.

OTT Tune

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had 3 4Runners 2 have been fantastic 2019 and the 2022 all were new. The 2020 one had tremendous undercarriage rust issues all 3 were kept in the same area on the East coast of Florida. Why the 2020 had this issue we don’t know. But the dealer that we bought it from new told us the complete breaking system was rusted out,rotors and all, and they would not warranty it, the car had 11,000 miles on it. After some tussles they did warranty it. The 2019 had 110,000 miles on it at the time and had zero rust on it and was a wonderful truck. The 2022 now has 46,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it. The best change we did to them was BF Goodrich all terrain e rated factory sized tires. The day the 2022 was delivered we had them put on it too. Also the Banks engineering Peddle Monster has made it far more fun to drive and has been a huge win. I run 53psi pressure in all 4 tires and makes the car crisper to maneuver and I pick up a mile to the gallon, (the tires are rated at 85psi )

They are really great we love ours.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 272 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
2024 Limited here. Love it. I did a lot of research before buying, and I’m expecting to get 15-20 years out of it easy. The Car Care Nut videos are great if you do your own work. Engine and transmission have a well-earned reputation for being bulletproof if you do proper maintenance. I would avoid the turbo 4.

Posts: 615 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Before doing any "real" mods, the first thing I needed to do was find a good phone mount. I'd rather just stash it in the armrest, but that's less than ideal sometimes.

I found this mounting base from Scosche at Amazon, plus this AMPS-compatible carrier. Fifty-five bucks for the bundle.

They arrived yesterday, and took about five minutes to install. I'll say without hesitation, I'm impressed. Android Auto in this vehicle is wired-only, and this mount offers a nice, sturdy, easily adjustable location so I don't have to use a long cable in between.

- - - -

Coloradohunter: which circuit did you tap for power to your grille lights?

- - - -

Here's something that seems totally jacked up:

Which direction was I traveling when that pic was snapped? Northeast? Or southwest?
The answer is, southwest. That graphic seems counterintuitive to me, though, with the illuminated section taking up the northeast(ish) quadrant of the circle. The reality is, you have to concentrate on which direction the pointy part of "the red pie" is pointed.

Why, Toyota, why? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13854 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Which direction was I traveling when that pic was snapped? Northeast? Or southwest?
The answer is, southwest. That graphic seems counterintuitive to me, though, with the illuminated section taking up the northeast(ish) quadrant of the circle. The reality is, you have to concentrate on which direction the pointy part of "the red pie" is pointed.

Why, Toyota, why? Confused[/QUOTE]

Totally screwed up. Why not have the direction arrow stationary pointing at the hood and have the cardinal markings rotate around to indicate the direction of travel?

Posts: 2006 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Before doing any "real" mods, the first thing I needed to do was find a good phone mount. I'd rather just stash it in the armrest, but that's less than ideal sometimes.

I found this mounting base from Scosche at Amazon, plus this AMPS-compatible carrier. Fifty-five bucks for the bundle.

They arrived yesterday, and took about five minutes to install. I'll say without hesitation, I'm impressed. Android Auto in this vehicle is wired-only, and this mount offers a nice, sturdy, easily adjustable location so I don't have to use a long cable in between.

- - - -

Coloradohunter: which circuit did you tap for power to your grille lights?

- - - -

Why, Toyota, why? Confused

I used one under the hood, instead of running it through the firewall. that comes on with the ignition, I believe it is for the fuel system. I will take some pics and send them to ya in an email later today...

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10985 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
Why not have the direction arrow stationary pointing at the hood and have the cardinal markings rotate around to indicate the direction of travel?

I'd rather the cardinal marks stay put, and the "pointy thing" do its job -- [i]point[/[] (in the right direction).

quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I used one under the hood, instead of running it through the firewall. that comes on with the ignition, I believe it is for the fuel system. I will take some pics and send them to ya in an email later today...

Thank you! I haven't gotten time yet to go explore all the fuse locations.

So, your grille lights come on with the ignition, and aren't switched at all?

God bless America.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why not have the direction arrow stationary pointing at the hood and have the cardinal markings rotate around to indicate the direction of travel?

I'd rather the cardinal marks stay put, and the "pointy thing" do its job -- [i]point[/[] (in the right direction).

quote:

Thank you! I haven't gotten time yet to go explore all the fuse locations.

Yes sir. I looked at some different ways of putting them on a switch, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. So far so good....

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10985 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Totally screwed up. Why not have the direction arrow stationary pointing at the hood and have the cardinal markings rotate around to indicate the direction of travel?

Update on the screwy compass thing: While navigating with Waze by way of Android Auto this weekend, I noticed that the compass did sort of "lay down," with the cardinal markings moving about the red triangle. Interesting!

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes sir. I looked at some different ways of putting them on a switch, but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. So far so good....

I've found a suitable switch, I believe. This may do the trick. They're available with a variety of different markings, and the blue illumination matches the OE very well.

God bless America.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've found a suitable switch, I believe. This may do the trick. They're available with a variety of different markings, and the blue illumination matches the OE very well.

You will have to show us/me how the install goes.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Yessir, I have a bunch of pictures from the trailer connector relocation job, and I'll get a few more as I work through this add-on lights project. I'll try to do a solid write-up on each.

- - - -

ETA: I've got a document ready showing the process. I need now to learn where to post it so you guys can access it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.