SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Met Police Chief locked himself in car and watched as terrorist stabbed unarmed officer to death at Commons Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...ched-inside-13383632

Met Police Chief watched from inside locked car as terrorist stabbed PC to death at Commons
Sir Craig Mackey, now Deputy Commissioner of Scotland Yard, stayed in his car as Khalid Masood murdered an unarmed officer

A senior member of the police locked himself in his car and watched as a terrorist stabbed his colleague to death at the House of Commons, an inquest has heard.

The acting Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police stayed in his car as Khalid Masood murdered an unarmed officer because he had no protective equipment.

Sir Craig Mackey, now Deputy Commissioner of Scotland Yard, had been to a meeting with Policing Minister Brandon Lewis and was being driven out of the Palace of Westminster when the carnage unfolded on March 22 last year.

Masood, 52, had mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before crashing his hired SUV into the perimeter fence near the Houses of Parliament, running through the gates and stabbing unarmed Pc Keith Palmer to death.

The inquest into his death heard that Sir Craig, then acting Scotland Yard chief, and his colleagues locked the car doors because they had "no protective equipment and no radio".

The officer told the jury how he had heard an "abnormally loud bang" that he feared was an explosion, before seeing Masood, with a butcher's knife in his hand, attack Pc Palmer.

"There was quite a lot of confusion about what was going on. Clearly the way that the male came in and the purposeful way he came, he was clearly a threat," Sir Craig told the Old Bailey.

The senior officer saw the constable suffer "two determined stab wounds".

He said: "I could see Pc Palmer moving backwards and him going down."

Sir Craig, who retires in December, went on: "The attacker had one of those looks where, if they get you in that look, they would be after you.

"He seemed absolutely focused on getting further down and attacking anyone who was in his way."

He told the jury: "The thing that still shakes me about the attack is that it was 80-plus seconds in total. It didn't feel like that, it felt an awfully long time."

Masood was shot by a close protection officer after killing Pc Palmer.

Asked what his reaction was following the gunshots, Sir Craig said: "First and foremost I was a police officer so I went to open the door to get out.

"One of the Pcs, quite rightfully, said: 'Get out, make safe, go, shut the door,' which he did, and it was the right thing to do.

"That's when I thought: 'I have got to start putting everything we need in place. We have got no protective equipment, no radio, I have got two colleagues with me who are quite distressed,' so we moved out."

Sir Craig told jurors it was his "instinct" to get out of the car, but was in a short-sleeved shirt with no equipment following the ministerial meeting.

"I was conscious my two colleagues were not police officers. If anyone had got out, the way this Masood was looking, anyone who got in his way would have been a target," he said.

"I think anyone who came up against that individual would have faced serious, serious injury, if not death."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Speechless. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Two against one could have made all the difference.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
he went home safely

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Those who can't do, administrate?

How very sad this person is still in LE. Yes, speechless.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Retires in December? Seems he's already retired. I'm NOT LE, but I'd have a hard time facing myself.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well, he sure ain't Millwall!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If I am out in public and a leo I would always have some means of defending myself and others. It is your duty.

Coward comes to mind. I imagine he has no issue living with himself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Self-preservation is one of our most powerful drives, but if your desire to stay alive comes first before everything else, you shouldn't have a career in the military, emergency services, or law enforcement.

I think if I witnessed such an attack, I'd be so pissed off that I'd manage to convince myself that I could dodge the guy's blade. I'd have to do something, foolish though it may be.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Here is an idea Sir No Balls: if you are going to stay in the car, maybe use the car to hit the POS or at least keep him cornered until someone with courage arrives.

Based on their BS and "laws", if I had been there and seen that go down, my reaction would have probably got me charged as a war criminal in the UK and the World Court.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think running over the POS repeatedly with my car would be the correct thing to do. Take a lesson from the terrorists.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I guess this is the new more inclusive and diverse thinking of the British command staff. I curse the boy as a coward. He needs to go to prison NOT retire and get fat on a pension. Well here’s to hoping he can’t live with himself any longer.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Report This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if apes at the zoo would even recognize him as a fellow primate? Very pathetic.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
This story personifies my general impression of England and the entire UK nowadays.

I know it's not altogether accurate, but that's the impression just the same.

Because one of the things wrong with them is this right here and not enough Millwall.

They're gonna polite themselves to death one day over tea and crumpets.

I don't know how Sir Craig Mackey of Scotland Yard can stand to look at himself.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
pussy

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Here he is getting an award for being the biggest chickenshit in his unit:

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Bloody coward.

I could not live with myself if I did such a thing, even if I WEREN'T an LEO. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes. The very definition of a coward.

Bravery may get you killed, but at least you don't have to live with yourself being a no good coward.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
You grab a jacket and use it as a buffer that can wrap up a knife hand, then do what you need to do to stop the cretin.

That's if you don't have a firearm of course.

Outright embarrassing a policeman has no weapon.

You can not reason with a mad dog, but if you try, does that make you just as crazy?

The fail is strong here.

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Epic Fail. Coward.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post