SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024 Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Now Sam boy will talk to Congress

"I still do not have access to much of my data -- professional or personal. So there is a limit to what I will be able to say, and I won't be as helpful as I'd like.

But as the committee still thinks it would be useful, I am willing to testify on the 13th."

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bet is that SBF never receives punishment, the DEMs will protect him no matter what.

I know someone local here in Commiefornia, who was an ardent democrat and hated Trump, now lost his life savings that were invested in Crypto. A month ago he was talking about retiring in Costa Rica, now he is broke and out of work. In one fell swoop, he now hates the Democrats as he sees their corruption and what it has done to him.

Hopefully many more Democrats will be burned by this corrupt administration, and they see the light.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
In person? Or via Zoom?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
In person? Or via Zoom?

LOL

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I bet the powers that be, whose silence is deafening, are feverishly conniving how to let him off the hook without this blowing up. I have my doubts they can pull it off.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
I bet the powers that be, whose silence is deafening, are feverishly conniving how to let him off the hook without this blowing up. I have my doubts they can pull it off.

Well the Dims are very busy trying to hide the money he gave to them. The last thing they want to do is "give it back" to the people he stole from. If they do end up having to give it back, he will be prosecuted so fast, heads will spin.

The real best bet for any justice is for a criminal element that may have used FTX for money laundering and transfers gets a hold of him and his crew of idiots. It will chain saw justice.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
SBF is too soft to sacrifice himself. If the screws were put to him either to provide verifiable information about collusion with Dems and other organizations to illegally funnel money to Dems, or go to federal prison for decades, this guy would roll over fast.

He is a true believer but I don't think he'd take the heat.

So the Dems will be doing whatever they can to provide him legal cover. With any luck, the whole house of cards collapses and takes a bunch of Dems with it.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
The CEO of an online news media company The Block took a $43 Million loan from FTX. CEO resigned today. I'm sure that bought SBF some good press for a while. SBF spread stolen customer funds all over the place to buy himself good press and good will .

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Sadly textbooks will be written about this failed kleptocurrency, belay that last, I meant cryptocurrency.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/...meant-for-ftx-staff/

Sam Bankman-Fried claimed he didn’t know how a $16.4 million Bahamas mansion got listed under his parents’ names, insisting that it was meant to house staffers at his now-defunct FTX cryptocurrency exchange.

“I don’t know the details of the house for my parents,” Bankman-Fried told the New York Times’ Andrew Ross Sorkin via Zoom at the newspaper’s DealBook summit event in New York City on Wednesday.

“I know it was not intended to be their long-term property. It was intended to be the company’s property. I don’t know how that was papered in.”

Bankman-Fried’s parents, Stanford University law professors Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried, were listed as the owners of a home in a gated community on the Bahamas.

Property records described the house as a “vacation home,” according to Reuters, which was the first to report the news.

The home was part of a massive, $121 million spending spree on pricey real estate on the island by Bankman-Fried’s company.

a real stumper

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Can the 5th Amendment be far behind...?

posted Hide Post
I don't know about real estate laws in the Bahamas, but usually transferring title to someone is a rather involved process, and for this amount of money a real estate attorney would be involved. So you don't just "accidentally" title it to your parents instead of your company.

His defense is basically "I was really stoned most of the time so I have no idea what happened".

Except he was smart enough to bribe media, politicians, celebrities, and "charities/causes" to prop up his house of cards until it finally fell apart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, shit like that happens to me all the time. Vacation mansions put in my parents name, yachts put in my grandparents name, slush funds given to other relatives.
WTF is wrong we the hired help? Can't they do anything right?
Roll Eyes

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
The CEO of an online news media company The Block took a $43 Million loan from FTX. CEO resigned today. I'm sure that bought SBF some good press for a while. SBF spread stolen customer funds all over the place to buy himself good press and good will .

This is a complete crock of $#!%. How would the CEO be the ONLY person in a company that knows about 3 loans to the company.

From the link, "“No one at The Block had any knowledge of this financial arrangement besides Mike,” Moran said in a statement. “From our own experience, we have seen no evidence that Mike ever sought to improperly influence the newsroom or research teams, particularly in their coverage of SBF, FTX and Alameda Research.”

McCaffrey received three loans in total, the first of which was in the amount of $12 million and was used in 2021 to buy out other investors in the crypto news, data and research provider. He took over day-to-day operations as the CEO at that time. A second $15 million loan in January was used to help fund day-to-day operations, while another $16 million earlier this year was used to purchase personal real estate in the Bahamas."
Moran, who made the statement, was the Chief Revenue Officer and is taking over as CEO.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to see the Perp walk. Please frog march him into US Court with full video. Guess tomorrows interview is off...

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SBF arrested and will be extradited.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Needs a Griner haircut while in Bahamian jail. No more MOD Squad look. USMS will enjoy taking Sam-Boy back to NYC.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam Bankman-Fried’s parents no longer on the Stanford Law School roster

I guess Stanford is not as liberal as portrayed. Kind of surprised to see this story. Ole Miss at least waited a while to take Dickie Scruggs name off a music building at the University.

Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried have started facing professional consequences for their son Sam Bankman-Fried’s actions.

The domino effect of FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried’s actions came full circle as his reputation began impacting the professional lives of his parents, Stanford Law professors Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried.

SBF’s father, Bankman, had to cancel his winter session course on tax policy, which, according to The Standford Daily, was at a time when the family was accused of acquiring an FTX-owned $16.4 million vacation home before the crypto exchange’s collapse.

Stanford Law professor Joseph Bankman’s tax policy course was canceled. Source: explorecourses.stanford.edu
On the other hand, SBF’s mother, Fried, was not even listed as an instructor for any of the courses. While this event coincides with FTX’s fallout, where Fried became a focal point of discussion owing to her political ties, she distanced the move from the ongoing investigations, saying it was a “long-planned” decision to retire. Speaking to The Daily, Fried shared her “hopes to” return as a teacher in the future.

Most recently, SBF accused Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao of FTX’s fall, claiming that CZ “threatened to walk at the last minute.”

Related: FEC probe demanded after SBF 'admitted' making dark money donations

On Dec. 9, Bankman-Fried revealed his willingness to testify at a United States House hearing about FTX’s collapse in the future.

However, Bankman-Fried missed the deadline to respond to a Senate Banking Committee request to appear and testify during a hearing focused on FTX’s bankruptcy in early December.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
more on the arrest

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po...tion-authorities-say

Bahamian authorities said Bankman-Fried’s arrest came after the United States filed charges against him and was likely to request extradition.

"While the United States is pursuing criminal charges against SBF individually, The Bahamas will continue its own regulatory and criminal investigations into the collapse of FTX, with the continued cooperation of its law enforcement and regulatory partners in the United States and elsewhere."

"At such time as a formal request for extradition is made, The Bahamas intends to process it promptly, pursuant to Bahamian law and its treaty obligations with the United States," said the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs in a statement.

The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York confirmed Bankman-Fried's arrest based on a sealed indictment from the court.

"We expect to move to unseal the indictment in the morning and will have more to say at that time," U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a statement provided to Fox News.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Bored Ape Yacht Club is next. The crypto and NFT frauds are starting to face the music. I have warned my clients in this space about the "no inherent value" and "unregistered securities" risk in these things.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...FT-endorsements.html

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post