SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024 Login/Join 
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Do the Bahamas have an extradition treaty with the US? I'm guessing they do.

quote:
Originally posted by sse:
Has no plans to leave the Bahamas just in case. LOL

I haven't researched it, but I doubt that would be an obstacle. Plus, the President is taking some heat for this, too, having promoted a crypto-culture, so he may feel it's in his best interest to cooperate.

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Sam Bankman-Fried speech / interview at Dealbook summit

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/...ypto-dealbook-sorkin

“I’ve had a bad month,” Bankman-Fried said at one point, an understatement that drew a burst of laughter from the audience at the New York Times’s DealBook Summit, an annual elite conclave of global corporate leaders, investors, politicians, and celebrities

he told the New York Times’s Andrew Ross Sorkin that he was down to one last credit card and about $100,000 in a bank account.

Bankman-Fried did not attend Wednesday’s event in person but was interviewed virtually from the Bahamas

In introducing Bankman-Fried, Sorkin pulled no punches: “The generous view is that you are a young man who made a series of terrible, terrible, very, very bad decisions.

The less generous view is that you have committed a massive fraud.” Bankman-Fried’s answers seemed to push for the more generous read, but their vagueness failed to dispel the less kind perceptions the public holds.

At various points in the roughly hour-long Q&A, his body language was hunched, his head and gaze lowered as he answered a barrage of difficult questions from Sorkin, including where FTX customers’ money had gone, whether employees had used drugs, what he had told his Stanford law professor parents, and what he saw for his future.

At one point, Sorkin referenced a letter he received from someone who accused the former billionaire of stealing about $2 million from him, asking why Bankman-Fried had “decided to steal my life savings.” Did Bankman-Fried think what he did was fraud?

Bankman-Fried’s head hung as Sorkin read the letter. “I’m deeply sorry about what happened,” he said before quickly adding that, “to his knowledge,” FTX’s US platform was “fully solvent.”

Moments earlier, he said, “I didn’t ever try to commit fraud on anyone.”

When Sorkin mentioned allegations that employees at FTX had used drugs, Bankman-Fried characterized himself as an innocent: “I had my first sip of alcohol after my 21st birthday,” he said, and said that FTX did not have wild parties, and that if there were parties, employees played board games.

maybe they lost the billions in a serious monopoly game

He was bewilderingly candid in a Twitter DM interview with Vox journalist Kelsey Piper, pulling back the curtain on the kind of reputation-polishing that, as Bankman-Fried implies, all powerful people — including himself — engage in. In his DMs, the mask of his image as a thoughtful philanthropist and diplomatic crypto spokesperson slipped; he said bluntly, on the issue of crypto regulation, “fuck regulators” and espoused the view that the world cared more about who they perceived as “winners” than people who were actually ethical.

Bankman-Fried attempted to clarify and soften some of the comments in that interview at the DealBook Summit, saying that he genuinely cared about important issues such as animal welfare and pandemic prevention. But he stood firm on the idea that “doing good” was often a PR game that companies played. “There’s a bunch of bullshit that regulated companies do,” he said. “It’s just a PR campaign masquerading as do-gooderism.” He acknowledged that he, too, had participated in such PR campaigns. “Yeah. We all did.”

Sorkin pressed him on the specifics of what had happened and what he had known, asking him early about whether there had been a commingling of funds between FTX and the trading firm Bankman-Fried had founded, Alameda Research. Alameda has been accused of borrowing FTX customers’ funds. “I didn’t knowingly commingle funds,” Bankman-Fried replied. He said he realized belatedly that FTX client money and Alameda money had been tied together “substantially more” than he would have wanted it to be.

As Bankman-Fried continued to repeat that he hadn’t been aware of the true financials of both companies, Sorkin was blunt: “But, Sam, I think the question is whether you were supposed to have access to these [customer] accounts to begin with.”

Bankman-Fried avoided that question, insisting again that he had little involvement in Alameda.

Alameda - run by Caroline Ellison who talks w the seriousness of a 13 y.o.. Everything was always "wierd" to her

When asked whether he had been honest during the interview, Bankman-Fried’s answer was a perfect encapsulation of the vagueness and word-twisting he’d displayed during the interview. “I was as truthful as, you know, I am knowledgeable to be,” he said.

And then, as if he was thinking better of the hedging, he added: “Yes, I was.”

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
He thinks he is smart enough to talk his way out of going to jail. If he took customer funds out of FTX and backdoored them into Alameda to trade in his own account (and I think he did) I hope he gets 50 years in prison.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The good news is Fraud-to-Xtreme does not have enough money left to flee to a non-extradition country.

The bad news is Fraud-to-Xtreme does not have enough money left to flee to a non-extradition country.

The best hope is he is extradicted to the U.S., assigned a Public Defender (after the USG seizes that card and $100K), and he goes to prison for a few lifetimes.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched him being interviewed. He clearly lies. His eyes move around uncomfortably and he certainly would do poorly in front of a jury. Caroline Ellison is another quirky character. She looks like an extra in a Seasame Street production. Having a pencil in her mouth like she is working a hard arithmetic problem appears to be a prop.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
The good news is Fraud-to-Xtreme does not have enough money left to flee to a non-extradition country.

The bad news is Fraud-to-Xtreme does not have enough money left to flee to a non-extradition country.

The best hope is he is extradicted to the U.S., assigned a Public Defender (after the USG seizes that card and $100K), and he goes to prison for a few lifetimes.

I'm betting he's a chronological liar, and he's lying about only having $100k. I would bet he's squirreled away hundreds of thousands of stolen bitcoin somewhere.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's pretty clear to me that our current regime has no desire to go after one of their biggest donors and money launderers.

IIRC Bernie Madoff was arrested that night after his fraud was exposed.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

It's pretty clear to me that our current regime has no desire to go after one of their biggest donors and money launderers.

IIRC Bernie Madoff was arrested that night after his fraud was exposed.

Remember, Stupid Big Fraudster hasn’t yet been charged with any crimes in the Bahamas. That is why he is “under surveillance” by Bahamian police and not in a Bahamian Jail.

And while normally I’d agree he stashed millions here and there, Stupid Big Fraudster is such a stupid big fraudster and narcissist I bet he didn’t stash money because he thought himself too brilliant to fail.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Sam Bankman interview w Geo Stephanopoulos at link:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1598296985010073600

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
maxine waters

I think that is Joseph Bankman (sam boy's father).

Joseph is the Ralph M. Parsons Professor of Law and Business at Stanford Law School

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/f...-alameda-11670107659

FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried said he couldn’t explain what happened to billions of dollars that customers of his failed cryptocurrency exchange sent to the bank accounts of his trading firm, Alameda Research.

Bankman-Fried distanced himself from Alameda, saying he had stepped back from running the firm and had little insight into its workings even though he owned 90% of it.

Some FTX customers made deposits by wiring money to Alameda-controlled bank accounts, with the intention that the money be used to fund their FTX accounts. That was a legacy of the exchange’s early days when FTX didn’t have its own bank account, Mr. Bankman-Fried said. Over time, FTX customers deposited more than $5 billion in those Alameda accounts, he said. Now those funds are gone.

“They were wired to Alameda, and…I can only speculate about what happened after that,”

“There are lots of ways that one could have done this in a responsible way,” he said. “Clearly what we did was not one of them.”

The fate of the missing billions is central to the bankruptcy proceeding, but unraveling it will be messy
Bankman-Fried said he didn’t realize the size of Alameda’s trades at FTX due to flawed internal systems

Mr. Bankman-Fried said he was too swamped with work as head of FTX and too distracted by other projects to pay attention to the risks welling up in the trading firm he founded in 2017. “I didn’t have enough brain cycles left to understand everything going on at Alameda if I wanted to,” he said.

FTX allowed customers to borrow to make bigger trades than they could have made with only their own funds, a high-risk practice known as margin trading. The funds they borrowed came from a pool filled by other customers who signed up to be lenders.

But only some customers agreed to participate in this margin lending. For the other customers, FTX’s 62-page terms-of-service document says that the digital assets in a user’s account belong to that user and not to FTX—a provision that should have prevented them from being lent out and put at risk.

he says fame might have clouded his judgment.

“It’s not even that I enjoyed it particularly,” he said. “It opened a lot of opportunities and doors that seemed very exciting to be exploring. And my mind wandered and I got really distracted.”

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/to...-attorney-mark-cohen

Sam Bankman Fried has retained lawyer Mark S. Cohen, of Cohen & Gresser

Cohen, a former assistant United States attorney for the Eastern District of New York, recently defended Ghislaine Maxwell in her sex trafficking trial.

and Caroline Ellison has hired Washington-based law firm Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr to represent her

Prosecutors and regulators have not charged Bankman-Fried or Ellison with a crime. They face civil lawsuits from FTX customers.

posted Hide Post
quote:

His company lent him one billion dollars, but he will not say where it is. This is separate from the 10 billion FTX lent to Alameda Research, which was then lost.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.usnews.com/news/to...-attorney-mark-cohen

Sam Bankman Fried has retained lawyer Mark S. Cohen, of Cohen & Gresser

Cohen, a former assistant United States attorney for the Eastern District of New York, recently defended Ghislaine Maxwell in her sex trafficking trial.

and Caroline Ellison has hired Washington-based law firm Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr to represent her

Prosecutors and regulators have not charged Bankman-Fried or Ellison with a crime. They face civil lawsuits from FTX customers.

Pedophile appeasing attorney… shocked!

Not.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
House Financial Services Committee Chairwoman Maxine Waters (D) does not plan to subpoena Sam Bankman-Fried to testify at hearing on FTX's collapse

SBF gave tens of millions of dollars to Democrats and was their second biggest donor this last election cycle

our federal govt is openly corrupt and crooked

Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
So… congress grills the gamespot guy (RoaringKitty) but doesn’t want to ask SBF anything?

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
So… congress grills the gamespot guy (RoaringKitty) but doesn’t want to ask SBF anything?

What are they going to say "thank you for your (Democratic) service"?

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It’s looking more and more like Stupid Big Fraudster’s best chance for experiencing Justice is hoping a disgruntled investor feeds him to the fishes during Shark Week.

Then again, why would someone do that to poor innocent sharks?

Nice is overrated