SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am confused as to why SBF is fighting extradition. It does not sound like bail is gonna happen. The hellhole he is going to appears worse than anything in the US.
If he is extradited will he be looked up in NYC correctional center? That place is unlikely to offer vegan meals and concierge services. He must be getting questionable legal advice. Anyone care to comment???

Stupid Boy Fraudster ignored the first piece of legal advice he received, that is “Don’t Steal.”

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
ATTN: Attorneys. How come John Ray the new CEO of FTX is getting 1300 dollars per hour with a 200 grand retainer?? I know he worked on Enron etc. Is the work that difficult and specialized? Taxpayers sadly seem to be stuck with the bill.

Not out of line at all, given the mess.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Looks like the answer if you fell for this scam is to sue the messengers:

Tom Brady Sued as FTX Pitchman

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
A man who describes himself as a lifelong New England Patriots fan is suing Tom Brady after he invested his entire life savings in the FTX crypto scheme.

Michael Livieratos, 56, says in his filing that he was convinced to invest in FTX after seeing the commercials in which Tom Brady was pushing the company headed by Democrat mega-donor Sam Bankman-Fried.

As a New England Patriots fan my entire life, you can imagine the influence that Tom Brady would have,” the man told the media, according to the New York Post.

The lawsuit charges that Livieratos lost his $30,000 investment “literally overnight” when “FTX imploded” and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

$30K...His ENTIRE life savings! Am I a bad person for being skeptical here?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Skeptical of what?? My broker told me plenty of stories similar to this. Of course no names were used. Look at the Medicare ads. Celebrities hawking this and that. I bet the average American does not know the difference between a stock and a bond. Hope he wins she suit, Brady has plenty of dough.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I bet he did.

Sam Bankman-Fried reverses decision to fight extradition to US: report

https://nypost.com/2022/12/17/...campaign=android_nyp

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Because of the amount?

If so, perhaps it might surprise you to hear that around 30% of Americans have zero savings, with around another 25% of Americans having more than zero but less than a thousand dollars in savings. That's a majority of Americans - around 55% - with less than a grand as their ENTIRE life savings.

So you might laugh at his mere $30k life savings, but the sad truth is that meant he was saving over 30x more than 6 out of 10 of his fellow Americans... (Well, until he gambled it on crypto, lost it all, and became part of the majority again.)

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam Bankman-Fried reverses decision to fight extradition to US: report

My guess is that after a few days at Fox Hill Prison Med Center he realized his next step is to join the general population. His epiphany came something like this: if the Med Center is this bad what must the regular portion be like and, if my mother cant stay in the Bahamas until Feb 8th and bring me Avocado Toast daily and, I'm going to be someones bit*ch here shortly, wait I change my mind. I want to be extradited.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Manhattan judge who will oversee Sam Bankman-Fried’s case is Ronnie Abrams, who comes from a family of legal renown.

Appointed to the federal bench in 2012 by President Barack Obama, she previously worked in private practice at the law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, where she oversaw its pro bono program. From 1998 to 2008, she was a prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York, including as deputy chief of the office’s criminal division.

She is married to Greg D. Andres, an accomplished former Brooklyn federal prosecutor who later served as deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department, and was on the team led by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, that investigated Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
Judge Abrams’s father is Floyd Abrams, the First Amendment lawyer who represented The New York Times in the litigation in the Pentagon Papers case.

Judge Abrams, who was born in New York City, obtained her B.A. at Cornell University and is a 1993 graduate of Yale Law School.
During her Senate confirmation hearing, she was asked what assurances she could give that litigants in her courtroom would be treated fairly, regardless of their political beliefs, their status as a plaintiff or a defendant — or whether they were rich or poor.

“All parties are entitled to equal justice under the law,” she wrote, “regardless of their economic status, political beliefs or social status.” She said she believed her legal career, in which she had represented both the federal government and defendants in criminal cases, “demonstrates my firm commitment to that

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once he’s back on US soil, Bankman-Fried would likely be held at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center, although some federal defendants are being held at other jails just outside of New York City due to overcrowding, defense lawyer Zachary Margulis-Ohnuma told the news outlet.
^^^^^
MDC is not known for great living conditions. I doubt avocado toast is on the menu.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
He should have pulled a Gerry Cotten and suddenly die while scouting locations for an orphanage in India and the only one with access to the system.
That was only 120 million or so.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

MDC is not known for great living conditions. I doubt avocado toast is on the menu.

“Can’t be as bad as the cabbage rolls at the Terre Haute federal pen !”

I’m really starting to believe his ex girlfriend flipped on him cut a deal with prosecutors to save her own hide. Then This clown Demanding a vegan menu. Lol Ok bro. I hear we have a great set of menu options including pork free at Guantanamo… Somebody get him a copy of the will Ferrell film Get Hard, ASAP!

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Caroline Ellison has a pretty heavy lawyer: Stephanie Avakian, chair of the securities and financial services department at law firm WilmerHale and the SEC's former enforcement director. Sources close to the matter told Bloomberg that Avakian, as well as fellow WilmerHale lawyers, will represent Ellison.

Wilmer Hale is where several of the "multimillions per year" lawyers came from to be on the Mueller team.

and this:

"Federal Election Commission regulations require political campaigns and committees to return contributions that are later determined to be illegal, even if the funds have already been spent and new money needs to be raised for the refunds."

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-political-donations

SBF founded Alameda in 2017. Then he started FTX in 2019. Looks like from the very beginning of FTX, SBF was doing things that led to the FTX collapse.

SBF made a lot of money w Alameda early in 2017. He noticed that some cryptocurrencies cost much more in South Korea. So he bought cheap and then sold high.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caroline Ellison has a pretty heavy lawyer: Stephanie Avakian, chair of the securities and financial services department at law firm WilmerHale and the SEC's former enforcement director.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
She is certainly connected but how successful is she as a white collar criminal defense attorney? Her credentials are not impressive, but I really do not know much about her.
Of course it is not all about big names but how well you present a case.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Caroline Ellison has a pretty heavy lawyer: Stephanie Avakian, chair of the securities and financial services department at law firm WilmerHale and the SEC's former enforcement director.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
She is certainly connected but how successful is she as a white collar criminal defense attorney? Her credentials are not impressive, but I really do not know much about her.
Of course it is not all about big names but how well you present a case.

Not even that. A good lawyer knows the law, a great lawyer knows the judge. Wink

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Busines...on/story?id=95537421

Sam Bankman-Fried, who is facing charges in the U.S. following the collapse of his cryptocurrency company, FTX, did not waive his right to an extradition hearing at a court appearance in the Bahamas on Monday as expected, casting uncertainty around his potential transport to the U.S. for prosecution.

Bankman-Fried said he wanted to see a copy of the U.S. indictment and speak to his New York-based attorney. A phone call, in the presence of his Bahamian counsel, was approved by the judge.

The proceedings were adjourned to an as-yet-unspecified date and Bankman-Fried was remanded back into custody.

At the outset of court hearings, Bankman-Fried declined to waive his right to challenge extradition to the U.S., but he had reversed his position and was prepared to waive extradition, setting up a move to custody in the U.S., multiple sources familiar with the matter previously told ABC News.

It is not immediately clear whether Bankman-Fried had another change of heart but a frustrated Bahamian prosecutor called Monday's proceedings "incredible" and said Bankman-Fried's local lawyer was not to be believed.

A U.S. government plane is waiting to fly Bankman-Fried back from the Bahamas, where he lived in a $30 million penthouse while running FTX until it collapsed in a $32 billion bankruptcy in November.

In addition to the criminal charges, Bankman-Fried faces related civil lawsuits from the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

There are more than $8 billion in customer losses, said Gretchen Lowe of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, a federal agency.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
FTX, did not waive his right to an extradition hearing at a court appearance in the Bahamas on Monday as expected, casting uncertainty around his potential transport to the U.S. for prosecution.

Hope he enjoys his stay at Bahamas only prison the Foxhill prison

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...on-fight/ar-AA15rORh

Extradition proceedings for FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried appeared to be stalled as his Bahamian attorney and local prosecutors argued bitterly in court on Monday.

Prosecutors indicated there had been an agreement with Bankman-Fried’s US attorneys to allow his extradition to the United States to face federal charges.

But Bankman-Fried’s Bahamian attorney, Jerone Roberts, said he himself had not been part of that agreement.

Roberts claimed prosecutors wouldn’t share the US indictment with him, and he should not have to “fish on the internet” for it. In response, prosecutor Franklyn Williams dismissed Roberts’ accusation, saying that it was “not to be believed.”

But Monday’s hearing left observers in the dark about what happens next.

At the end of the hearing, the frustrated magistrate overseeing the case cleared the courtroom so that Bankman-Fried could call his US attorneys with his Bahamian attorney present.

Bankman-Fried was then returned to the Bahamian prison where he has been held for the past week. No future court date was set at Monday’s hearing.

His US legal team didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Earlier in the day, a representative for his lawyers declined to give specifics about the timeline, saying it was “tough to give specifics while relying on the Bahamian courts.”

posted Hide Post
What a zoo! Maybe we should send Ben Crump to the rescue.

posted Hide Post
Every day and night he continues to spend at Fox Hill Prison is good. It also remains a burden for his parents (another good thing) who are probably in charge of delivering his Vegan meals and leading the SBF cheering squad. I'm hoping the US Government drags its feet on actually extraditing him to New York. It would be nice to see him spend the holidays at the Fox Hill Club.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post