SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024 Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/tech...resigns-in-disgrace/

Sam Bankman-Fried’s cryptocurrency exchange FTX has reportedly filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the U.S. following a week of significant scandals and upset in the cryptocurrency space.

The crypto boss and Democrat megadonor popularly known as “SBF” subsequently resigned.

CNBC reports that the cryptocurrency exchange FTX has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the U.S. following a week of turmoil in the cryptocurrency space. Breitbart News previously reported that the crypto exchange Binance backed out of its plans to acquire rival platform FTX leaving the firm on the brink of collapse.

Within a few days, FTX plummeted from a $32 billion valuation to now facing bankruptcy as its liquidity evaporated, customers demanded their money back, and Binance officially terminated an agreement to purchase the firm.

In a rambling Twitter thread that attempts to explain the current state of FTX, CEO and Democrat megadonor Sam Bankman-Fried wrote, “I’m sorry. That’s the biggest thing. I fucked up, and should have done better.”

Approximately 130 additional affiliated companies are part of the proceedings, including Alameda Research, Bankman-Fried’s crypto trading firm, and FTX.us, the company’s U.S. subsidiary.

In the 23-page bankruptcy filing obtained by CNBC, FTX indicates it has more than 100,000 creditors, assets in the range of $10 billion to $50 billion, as well as liabilities in the range of $10 billion to $50 billion

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/1...-for-bankruptcy.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they ran the same ponzi plan as banks but without the central banks behind them to load/print money when needed.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Leftist shitbag.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrat megadonor Sam Bankman-Fried wrote, “I’m sorry. That’s the biggest thing. I fucked up, and should have done better.”

Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Who’d a thunk it? Roll Eyes

This stuff was NEVER real and was a pyramid scheme from the get go.

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I fucked up, and should have done better.”
What are you, 14?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy come, easy go without a care.

Don’t have to worry about seppuku, not with him.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I thought for sure with FTX ads on the MLB umps, for sure this business that creates nothing would make it *this* time… Roll Eyes

What we need now is a bunch of dot.coms that do nothing. That’s the ticket!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its all about pulling out on time.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Its all about pulling out on time.

And we all know how hard that is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bitcoin never passed the sniff test. Murphy had a couple of laws of finance:
If it seems too good to be true, it is.
Everyone has a scheme to get rich that will not work.

Lost money? Bummer. Dave Ramsey calls it "stupid tax".

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
everyone who didn't see this coming, raise their hand

does anyone remember Bernie Madoff?

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Sausage King of Chicago?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
gets better and better

30-year-old Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF) has already lost 94% of his fortune and is facing questions as to the probity of his actions after the Wall Street Journal reported that his crypto exchange, FTX, lent $10bn to his affiliated trading firm, Alameda Research.

Caroline Ellison, another 28-year-old SBF protégé already appears to be out of a job.

Ellison was CEO of Alameda Research, which is being wound down as of this afternoon. Alameda was a crypto market maker with a reputation for aggressive trading strategies. SBF confessed today that these were being funded by money customers had deposited in FTX for their own trading purposes.

she doesn't seem to have had a huge amount of experience prior to running a firm with an alleged $10bn of money sloshing around.

Before joining Alameda as a trader in March 2018, Ellison spent 19 months as a junior trader at Jane Street after graduating from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in mathematics in 2016.

Ellison explained that Jane Street was her first job out of college. A diehard mathematician and Harry Potter fan born of two economists, Ellison she hadn't wanted to go into trading but "just didn't really know what to do" with her life.

She says she was "kind of thrown into" making decisions at Alameda and that this was a shock after her 19 months at Jane Street where the decisions she'd made had been "pretty circumscribed." By comparison, in a start-up like Alameda, Ellison said she found herself making "a bunch of decisions," a lot of which were "really uncertain," and that this was "terrifying."

here she is:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1590926677877854208

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just incredible.

quote:
A diehard mathematician and Harry Potter fan

Just like my six year old. And no doubt could manage that company just as competently.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This would appear to be WAY worse than Madoff, in that it wasn't even a Ponzi scheme, but rather flat out fraud, and theft of client funds by Leftist Imbeciles! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A fool and their money......

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had enough people explain cryptocurrency and bitcoin to me that I can repeat the words, but I don’t really understand them. I’m starting to wonder if it’s not just me.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://freebeacon.com/biden-a...just-six-months-ago/

A cryptocurrency billionaire facing federal investigation for mishandling customer funds had high-level White House meetings just months ago, as Congress was debating how to regulate his company—and just weeks before he pledged to donate up to $1 billion to Democrats ahead of the midterm campaign.

Sam Bankman-Fried, the owner of cryptocurrency exchange FTX, met on April 22 and May 12 with top Biden adviser Steve Ricchetti, according to White House visitor logs reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon. At the time, FTX was lobbying Congress and federal agencies to shape regulation of the crypto industry.

The meetings are likely to raise questions about the extent to which Bankman-Fried used the promise of political donations to nudge Democrats toward helping his firm.

It is a remarkable fall for Bankman-Fried, who has emerged as one of the Democratic Party’s biggest campaign donors. He gave more than $5 million to Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign, and has given millions more this cycle to the Democratic Party

He said in June, weeks after his most recent White House meeting, that he might give up to $1 billion to support Democrats in the midterms, though he backed away from that pledge in September.

Bankman-Fried has lobbied for a bill proposed by Senate Agriculture Committee chair Debbie Stabenow (D., Mich.) that would put the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in charge of crypto regulation. Bankman-Fried donated $5,800 to Stabenow’s campaign in February, and $20,800 to her joint fundraising committee in January. Bankman-Fried contributed to other Democratic members of the committee amid his lobbying campaign. He sent a combined $31,000 to campaigns and joint fundraising committees tied to Sens. Cory Booker (D., N.J.), Tina Smith (D., Minn.), Dick Durbin (D., Ill.), and Kirsten Gillibrand (D., N.Y.) from October 2021 through June.

Bankman-Fried’s competitors in the crypto space have long been suspicious of his lobbying efforts and his claims to want federal oversight and regulation of the crypto market.

Yaël Ossowski, a crypto currency watchdog at the Consumer Choice Center, warned lawmakers in late October that Bankman-Fried was trying to regulate away his smaller competitors.

Others have expressed skepticism that Bankman-Fried is pushing to have the Commodity Futures Trading Commission oversee cryptocurrency regulation instead of the Securities Exchange Commission, which has stronger enforcement powers and a much larger budget.