SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptocurrency Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy // Bankman sentencing 28 March 2024 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Sooo, Sam Bank-Fraud's parents both teach at Stamford University (Law professors, specializing in ethics of all things), and Caroline Ellison's parents both teach at MIT. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Not a mystery.
Both institutions have worked very hard over the last 30-years to be leading incubators for the 'future leaders' of the world. While Harvard, and the other Ivy's pursued literary, legal and economic prodigies; Stanford and MIT pursued technological and analytical geniuses. All the members in SBF's inner-circle either attended the same high school as him (arguably one of the most exclusive in the Bay Area), met at a summer math camp during high school or, attended one of the two universities. All their parents aren't 'just lawyers' or, professors, they own the firms, they are department heads or deans, their respective's home's hallways & offices are lined with a variety of accolades and awards; all their family & friends are highly accomplished.

In short, given who they are and where they come from, these idiots were too smart for their own good.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In short, given who they are and where they come from, these idiots were too smart for their own good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree. I have dealt with these types all my life. What is lacking is Ethics. Look at the parents snared by the Feds in the Varsity Blues scandal. Except for some Hollywood types they are wealthy CEOs who considered themselves above the law and saw nothing wrong with wholescale cheating.

Leopold and Loeb were Unversity of Chicago students.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are any number of crooks that attended "lesser" colleges, or no colleges at all. "Prestige" didn't start the corruption, but it did lend enough credibility up the ante considerably.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Once again I see discussions and predictions whose bases I don’t understand.

I readily admit to ignorance about campaign finance laws, so that could be the reason, but what would be the basis for requiring a politician to “return” money that the miscreant donated to them? Were the donations illegal? Would the recipients have known that (even assuming it doesn’t matter)?

People keep talking about such a requirement, so I assume that they know what I don’t, and I am curious to learn.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
but what would be the basis for requiring a politician to “return” money that the miscreant donated to them? Were the donations illegal?

Would guess it depends on if the money was stolen property.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Once again I see discussions and predictions whose bases I don’t understand.

I readily admit to ignorance about campaign finance laws, so that could be the reason, but what would be the basis for requiring a politician to “return” money that the miscreant donated to them? Were the donations illegal? Would the recipients have known that (even assuming it doesn’t matter)?

People keep talking about such a requirement, so I assume that they know what I don’t, and I am curious to learn.

Here is a Forbes Article on the matter. Some of the politicians gifted the money have said they donated the money to a charity.....knowing that FTX (under new management) will be going after the money to re-coup it for investors.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer...-political-donations

"Federal Election Commission regulations require political campaigns and committees to return contributions that are later determined to be illegal, even if the funds have already been spent and new money needs to be raised for the refunds."

Federal Election Commission

https://www.fec.gov/regulation...annual-103#103-3-b-1

If the treasurer in exercising his or her responsibilities under 11 CFR 103.3(b) determined that at the time a contribution was received and deposited, it did not appear to be made by a corporation, labor organization, foreign national or Federal contractor, or made in the name of another, but later discovers that it is illegal based on new evidence not available to the political committee at the time of receipt and deposit, the treasurer shall refund the contribution to the contributor within thirty days of the date on which the illegality is discovered. If the political committee does not have sufficient funds to refund the contribution at the time the illegality is discovered, the political committee shall make the refund from the next funds it receives.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.
I guess then that those who believe the money must be returned know that the donations were illegal.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for the responses.
I guess then that those who believe the money must be returned know that the donations were illegal.

It isn’t that the donation was illegal, instead SoBoFo, Ellis, et al. embezzled/stole investors money for which they had a fiduciary duty. That is when there was illegality. They then donated those misappropriated funds to various swamp-centric political causes who must return them, per the FEC.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree. I have dealt with these types all my life. What is lacking is Ethics. Look at the parents snared by the Feds in the Varsity Blues scandal. Except for some Hollywood types they are wealthy CEOs who considered themselves above the law and saw nothing wrong with wholescale cheating.

Leopold and Loeb were Unversity of Chicago students.

So you agree, while these clowns are quite smart, they lacked a number of intangibles, which includes their ethical compass.
Many would argue that they were quite ethical, given their beliefs in 'effective altruism', however this entire episode demonstrates the massive holes in those beliefs and the means in which to effect it; they knowingly wanted to become 'ethical crooks'. These weren't young and smart YUPPIES who flaunted their wealth and bought up all manor of status symbols, these kids were churning other people's money and giving it to their favorite political & social causes.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Caroline Ellison:

https://www.coindesk.com/busin...orfeiture-of-assets/

Plea agreement: The agreement states that if Ellison fully cooperates with the SDNY's investigation, as well as any other law enforcement agency designated by the office,

she won't be further prosecuted criminally except for possible criminal tax violations with regard to the wire and commodity fraud charges that resulted from commingling funds between FTX and Alameda accounts. The deal does not guarantee that other agencies will not pursue prosecution at a later date.
A court would need to agree to the plea deal for it to be in effect.

that's one hell of a plea agreement. Steal billions and doesn't get prosecuted

Ellison plea agreement:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/d...ress-on-the-case.pdf

Sam Bankman-Fried bail:

https://www.coindesk.com/polic...earance-in-us-court/

The sky-high personal recognizance bond is meant to reflect the gravity of Bankman-Fried's alleged crimes and deter the former FTX CEO from jumping bail. Still, Bankman-Fried will have to secure the signatures of at least two additional individuals with "considerable means," one of whom cannot be a family member, according to the case's judge.

SBF lawyers have requested the names of the other two signees (other than the parents) be kept under seal

posted Hide Post
Yes, just like Hillary's emails. One set of rules for Democrats, a different set for everyone else.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it just his lawyers showing up in court today to enter the not guilty plea or does Sammy and his Mod Squad hair do have to show up as well?

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As everyone probably knows by now, he showed up, plead not guilty.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam Bankman-Fried Asks Judge to Keep His Bail Guarantors Secret

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...g-his-bond#xj4y7vzkg

Sam Bankman-Fried asked a judge to keep confidential the identities of two people who will help secure his bail to protect them from public scrutiny and potential harassment.

Lawyers for Bankman-Fried on Tuesday filed a letter seeking redactions of the names of the two people who intend to sign on as sureties to his $250 million bail package, saying there is no need for public disclosure.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Prosecutors estimate that $8 billion in customer funds is missing

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dassa lotta cheddar, spanky!

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://news.yahoo.com/prosecu...y-sam-182408039.html

There are so many victims of the fraud allegedly perpetrated by FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried federal prosecutors said it would be impractical for them to individually notify all of them. So, late Friday, the judge overseeing the case authorized an alternative method.

Judge Lewis Kaplan allowed prosecutors to establish a website to inform alleged victims of their rights and of the schedule of proceedings in the case.

"If you believe that you may have been a victim of fraud by Samuel Bankman-Fried, AKA "SBF," please contact the victim/witness coordinator at the United States Attorney's office," the website said.

The number of FTX investors and customers who prosecutors have said collectively lost $8 billion is likely to exceed 1 million. Federal law requires prosecutors to contact possible crime victims.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-s...ka-sbf-22-cr-673-lak

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This goes beyond the scope of Enron(which the fed learned NOTHING.) This eclipses Bernie Madoff.(which the democrats profited)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I would love to see an FTX investor roster.

I’m hoping there are accounts owned by Mexican drug cartels, and that they are pissed.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post