SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbors Letting Their Dog Use Our Yard To Poop In: How To Handle?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Neighbors Letting Their Dog Use Our Yard To Poop In: How To Handle? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Talk to them first. If nothing gets better, burn their house down.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
What breed? Big enough to leap over a temporary but stable retaining wall? Chain link is ugly but maybe a tasteful barrier. that backyard almost requires friendly neighbors.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A bit extreme, but still an option.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Respond in kind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I would first talk to them even if they are not nice people. I would then find out the exact property line and put up a chain link fence. In the mean time, throw all the dog poop back to their yard.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I would first talk to them even if they are not nice people. I would then find out the exact property line and put up a chain link fence. In the mean time, throw all the dog poop back to their yard.
Just go to DRMO and get a couple of spools of this - you'll be all set in no time.

Bunch it up tightly if the dogs are small, then hook up 2-4 car batteries for special effect.

Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Placing it at the end of their driveway where they will track it into their drive and or garage will have a great impact. This really sends home the message as to how revolting it is to have poop everywhere. This method worked for me instantaneously as the dad raised hell with his whole family until he discovered the problem was of their own making.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same situation years ago. I bagged up several piles in a small paper lunch bag, waited until dinner time and rang the doorbell. When the neighbor answered, I handed him the bag and just said "This is yours." After he opened it, I added "I watched your dog leave it in my yard." No yelling, just a matter of fact tone and the problem was solved.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Not mentioned on the OP or asked yet, but what is the disposition of the shit-depositing-in-your-yard dogs?!

Friendly and affectionate, or aggressive and territorial, etc.?

Keep in mind that dogs tend to hunt in packs and can be more aggressive and provoking when there's more than one.

We've all heard / read stories of horrific dog attacks. Not meant to scare you or be overly dramatic here, but also do not want to read about anything bad happening to your family.

Rob

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've had the problem for years. We had a fenced yard. Everyone down the side street would walk their dog up to my corner, linger, then walk back home only after they let their dog do their business. My solution was to just shovel it out in the street so tehy can run over it and toss it in their fender wells. I almost never drove down the side street, they had to. I even had a designated shovel, my shit shovel. My wife broke it. She said not on purpose but I have my doubts.

I do like the bacon grease coating idea.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Talk to them first. If nothing gets better, burn their house down.

This.

Who has the time for fences or poo flinging?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You had noticed a potential rabid raccoon in your yard the other day so you put out some cage traps.

Two days later, some weird looking raccoon gets hauled off and you have no idea where the dogs went. Confused

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I would talk to the first but if that doesn’t get you anywhere get a few big shakers of cayenne pepper and sprinkle a 4 or 5 foot wide boarder right down the property line.

I really do like the bacon grease suggestion.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When we 1st moved into our house I witnessed our male neighbor purposefully bring his dog to our front yard to poop & he left it there. I picked it up n a poo bag, wrote a note on it to pick their dog's poop up as we don't even let our own dogs poop n our front yard, then I left it n the middle of their front steps hoping the wife would find it when she came home & give him hell. Well, come to find out, she does it too!!!

So now, every time I hear or see them anywhere our yard, I set off the car alarms. Deters them some but it still happens. This morning I saw it all happen again so I flung it onto their front yard. At some point I will have a face to face confrontation with them, but usually happens when I am on a time crunch, getting ready for work.

This has been going on 6+ yrs.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I forget what prompter him to do this, but my grandfather was a tit-for-tat kind of guy and once made Roundup ice cubes and used a slingshot at night to send them over into the neighbor's very well manicured lawn.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

I forget what prompter him to do this, but my grandfather was a tit-for-tat kind of guy and once made Roundup ice cubes and used a slingshot at night to send them over into the neighbor's very well manicured lawn.
Not cool. Round-up kills growth. A way better form of revenge, apply fertilizer in patterns to form letters. A nice X-rated message in lush green grass on their front lawn.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This but in the meantime, use a spade & fling it back in their yard. I had a colleague with this problem. He resorted to shooting the dogs in the flanks with a pellet gun. Got to the point to where the dogs would run like hell when they heard him open the window to point the pistol out Wink
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Plant what is known as "defensive shrubs". Will deter not only dogs, but two legged poopy types too.
Cat Claw Acacia.
Roses work too but are a lot of work.
You miss the point where he mentioned he had a couple small boys? Planting that stuff you mentioned would make them playing outside dangerous.

Step 1 - Go talk to your neighbors regardless how friendly they've been to date and explain the problem. That's how civil society is supposed to work.

Step 2 - No luck with step one, install a fence. You don't need an ongoing problem and the confrontation its likely to created if the dogs keep getting into your yard.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

What's with grandfathers? Back in the 80's when I was a kid, your dog pooped on our lawn my Grandfather left it in your mailbox for you the next day. He was a mean son of a bitch.

I had this problem with my neighbors, their tiny dogs would sneak through the old fence between the houses and shit all over my patio. The neighbors were really cool about it and tried everything to keep the dogs out but it didn't matter, they kept finding a way to come over. So they went ahead and built a short black chainlink fence themselves. Problem solved.

Talk to them first, if it doesn't change just put a short fence up and don't frustrate yourself any further. Good fences do make good neighbors.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Warn them first, then snatch the dogs and take them to the pound if it continues.

It's a lot more humane than my other solution which would be employed if things continued after that.

I have no tolerance for such things.

This is just one of the many reasons that I hate people and will never, ever, again live in town with neighbors closer than 200 yards. Preferably more.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
We had this problem too. I started off by talking to him and it did no good. Then I started throwing it back into his yard and it did no good. We finally put up a six-foot privacy fence. This was a guy I went to school with too.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Report This Post