SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Neighbors Letting Their Dog Use Our Yard To Poop In: How To Handle?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Neighbors Letting Their Dog Use Our Yard To Poop In: How To Handle? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We have neighbors to the left of us who have two dogs and I’ve realized they’ve basically trained them to run over to our yard, shit, then run back to their yard. It’s not really feasible to put a fence up do to the layout. These people aren’t too friendly and have never been neighborly or friendly towards us, and I actually caught their son in the act of letting the dogs run over and poop in our yard. I called him out and told him he needed to clean up after his dogs as I have two young boys who WILL pick up poop and play with it as they get into everything.

I’m to the point where I’m going to start picking up the poop and flinging it back into their yard.

Is there some sort of repellent barrier I could put down instead of a fence? Our houses are too close together for any sort of fence I think.

The dog shit is always right near that stump on my side there.

Not sure how to deal with this here, as I said they are not friendly to us.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You have a property line somewhere. Find out the required setback, or put a fence on the property line and be done. If my neighbors weren't friendly and didnt respond to a conversation, it's fence time.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Plant some nice thorny bushes right there?

Or if you don't have dogs of your own, get an electronic pest repellant and let it rock 24/7

https://www.electronicpestcont...epeller-dog-control/

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Those motion detector water cannon gizmos might work a treat.

Otherwise, the poop goes into flaming bags on their porch.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Neighbor did the same thing. Who flung poo was my response. On their walls, on their cars and their patio. They got the idea and it stopped.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Even if they are a-holes I would talk to them first. Then you can say you tried.

Tossing it back is definitely desired but in the long run, preventing a feud between your neighbor is best.

If a fence is not an option how about some cameras.

Are their dogs running around without a leash? Get some pictures and call animal control. I love dogs but sounds like the owners need some lessons in being a good neighbor.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I save bacon grease and pour it on the pile.
They seem to like it and take it home with them.

Now go give mommy a kiss.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Put it into a paper bag and deliver it to their front door. Fences do make for better neighbors.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a common problem. I would speak with them first, people get shot over stuff like this if allowed to escalate. People respond differently to issues. Be nice and see what happens. If that does not work put up a fence as Arc has suggested. It is a simple fix.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Plant what is known as "defensive shrubs". Will deter not only dogs, but two legged poopy types too.
Cat Claw Acacia.
Roses work too but are a lot of work.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
PAsig, you must be a very nice guy because I would have handled it very differently. Progressive discipline. Serve them notice first. Explain the kid thing to them. Zero tolerance. Next time you see dog shit fling it back into their yard. Go to Home Depot and get gloves and white disposable coveralls. Windows, cars, door knobs, etc.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's possible that they don't know what the dogs are doing. You caught their son sending the dogs over-- maybe he does that because he thinks that then he doesn't need to clean it up.

First, tell them the dogs are pooping in your yard. See their response.

Proceed accordingly.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good fences make good neighbors.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Report This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Get a picture of the dog in the act. Send them a certified letter include picture. Be polite, be direct. Keep a copy of the letter and keep the certified mail receipt. If problem persists call police/animal control.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

Beat me to it. Yay recycling!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have two trees on my property by the road and every dog walking by likes to leave stuff there. Some neighbors pick it up but most don’t and I’m never around to see it. I throw it in the road where they walk their dogs and put chlorine tabs around the tree. I think the strong smell deters them from doing their business there again.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Plant what is known as "defensive shrubs". Will deter not only dogs, but two legged poopy types too.
Cat Claw Acacia.
Roses work too but are a lot of work.
You miss the point where he mentioned he had a couple small boys? Planting that stuff you mentioned would make them playing outside dangerous.

Step 1 - Go talk to your neighbors regardless how friendly they've been to date and explain the problem. That's how civil society is supposed to work.

Step 2 - No luck with step one, install a fence. You don't need an ongoing problem and the confrontation its likely to created if the dogs keep getting into your yard.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Flip it into their yard. Every last little turd. Not in neat little piles, but fling with authority, creating dozens of tiny anti-personnel mines all over the place. When they cannot walk in their own yard without choosing their footfalls with care, maybe they'll get it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You miss the point where he mentioned he had a couple small boys? Planting that stuff you mentioned would make them playing outside dangerous.

Step 1 - Go talk to your neighbors regardless how friendly they've been to date and explain the problem. That's how civil society is supposed to work.

Step 2 - No luck with step one, install a fence. You don't need an ongoing problem and the confrontation its likely to created if the dogs keep getting into your yard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS ^^^^^^. I do not understand the need to escalate the situation. It seems that many determine this is a situation that calls for a nuclear approach.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post