SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My first wife was Old South Atlanta. I was 25 and still had to ask her father to marry her. When I told her father I was from Tennessee he said "Oh, from up in Yankee Land!". I then replied "I never thought TN was Yankee Land". He said "Son, any place no'th of Marietta is Yankee Land". Born in Wisconsin, grew up in East Tennessee. Still did not know what a hose pipe was when I moved to Nashville.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4292 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
We have several accents. Deep East Texas has the most distinctive (sort of more Southern, but not really).

I spent my formative years growing up in Longview, Marshall and Texarkana. Just a few years ago, I started shooting at a new (to me) club up near Prescott, and met a gentleman about my age. As soon as he spoke a few words, I said "you're from East Texas, aren't you". "Yep". It turns out we both lived in Texarkana during the early 1960's, went to the same church, he knew my Mom through his volunteer work on Project Headstart, and my first serious girlfriend's older sister was in his high school class. Small world, indeed.

Posts: 10806 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Houston. Also lived in Calif, Alaska and USVI. Always came back to Trxas. A recent article described Houston as the most diverse city in the nation. Prob true. If you want Peruvian chinese food with a Swedish flavor, there's prob a restuarant that specializes in it. The Opera, Symphony and Theatres are world renown. However, the traffic, crime and rudeness that comes with big cities reached a point where the negatives outweighed the positives for me. I escaped to the Texas Hill Country and rediscovered Texas. Glad Idid.

Posts: 1609 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:

"Why use olive oil when you can keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge?"
Who puts bacon grease in the fridge?

Yeah, this^^

Bacon grease don't belong in no icebox.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We live about 10 miles outside of town and there are 4 active churches within 11/2 miles of us.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Wino is trollin' us?

No mention of... King Ranch Chicken, Pecan Pie, Chicken Fried Steak, Jesus, Dry Creek Saloon, Little Longhorn Saloon, Black Eye Peas on 1-1-201X, HEB, Blanco Bowling Club Cafe... He's probably from New Jersey!

GIT A ROPE!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5970 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Everything is so much slower. It's funny moving here all I could thing was "Honey, I could give two shits if your daughter just made head cheerleader.....I just want my god damn electric turned on. Funny thing though you get used to the chit chat. Went home years back and had that moment of wow that cashier was rude, they didn't even make any conversation.

Hot Chicken. Hell yeah.

Weather that kills people. Where I grew up weather meant you dressed differently. Here there are air raid sirens and schools and events close and trailers get launched like a game of biblical shot put. I'm not fond of this.

Drivers.......jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick. When I first moved here I was all excited.....70 MPH speed limits I told friends. It's gonna be awesome. Two weeks later I am calling home saying "These sumbitches ain't got no business doing 70mph." The drivers here are.....well....Bless their hearts.

Shooting is a different world here. I have had C level executives ask me on a public elevator that was full "What do you like in a good hollowpoint". Where I come from by the time that elevator hits ground floor it's a game of flash bang hot potato and getting to know the boot size of the assaulter element of the local HRT/SWAT guys. Here the petite 65 year old woman from accounting busts in to the conversation with "You go HST or you go home".

You will always be a yankee, but with time like Dianne Fossey in gorillas in the mist, you may be accepted. But you best be able to shoot, drink and hold your own in general. I have been told that I have adopted southern status but apparently there is some kind of 40 year probationary period.

Bourbon and TN Whiskey from the source. Need I say more. If you drink it on the rocks or with water...........you are dead to me.

All in all the South is pretty great with the exception of the allergies and the weather that generally wants to murder you. Basically it's Mother Nature with PMS most of the time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7714 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Did I mention Hot Chicken and Bourbon/TN Whiskey. Smile

Posts: 7714 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
And for God sakes and your own personal safety.
1 - college sports, hell even high school sports are BIG GOD DAMN DEALS. It's not like where I come from where they are those quaint things you watch when real sports are not on. If you don't believe me just start a poll and I would bet GET A ROPE would be the top choice with what I just said from our Southern brethren. Smile

2-It was not a Civil war it was the War of Northern Aggression.

3-said war was not lost......they are just re-grouping. Don't be the first casualty. Smile.

4-grits are GOD DAMN FANTASTIC WITH ANTHING and they are. Smile

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It's not pop or soda. It's Coke! You don't order a pop or soda. Everything is Coke, seriously. You order Coke and then, maybe, you're asked what type but usually not. Tea is sweet and iced, period. Western N.C. And East Tennessee have a different version of y'all and it's "you'ins".

Posts: 6024 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
but usually not. Tea is sweet and iced, period.

No such thing as un-sweet tea...
Un-sweet tea is just sweet tea that you aint finished makin' yet.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
cole slaw on a chili dog is really really good.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

In some fast food places in the deep South, I have seen two dispensers, one labeled "tea", and the other labeled "unsweetened tea", like they took some special extra steps to "unsweeten" it.

Posts: 10806 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
you ain’t from here are ya?

This one made me laugh out loud.

Way back when, I had a friend move to rural North Carolina. A couple of us went to visit him and it seemed every time we went somewhere folks would hear our Chicago accents, walk over and say "Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?" Big Grin

We tried to get some hot dogs while we were there, except they were ruined when - to our horror - they put coleslaw on our dogs. Eek

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6450 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

Didn't see this before my post.

No, it's not good. Cole slaw on any dog, even a chili dog, is an abomination. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6450 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

In some fast food places in the deep South, I have seen two dispensers, one labeled "tea", and the other labeled "unsweetened tea", like they took some special extra steps to "unsweeten" it.

First thing that ran through my mind when I read your post was "Well, how the hell else would you label it?" Big Grin And I just picked up lunch from such a local establishment: bacon, egg, cheese, Duke's mayo on toast and a tea. Good stuff.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

No, it's not good. Cole slaw on any dog, even a chili dog, is an abomination. Big Grin
IMNSHO, only yellow mustard should be on a hot dog. (I prefer French's®.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you relocate, you'll learn a lot by just keeping your mouth shut. People are not interested in how you did things back home where you came from. I'll never be from here because I don't have three generations buried in the ground but I am accepted by my neighbors as being a good neighbor.

Recently went back to where I came from, born and raised. It had changed and I had changed so I went back home to where I've lived for the last two plus decades and respected by my neighbors. It helps to be adaptive.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Western N.C. And East Tennessee have a different version of y'all and it's "you'ins".

That's weird. I have never heard it there, but heard it said by people from western PA. I thought it was a western PA thing.

Posts: 8638 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Well, y'all put that glow-in-the-dark relish on your hotdogs and whatever other condiments are in the fridge. Then get mad when someone puts ketchup on a chicago dog. Bless your hearts... Big Grin

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post