SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
Grew up in Indiana then lived in Chicago for a decade. Plotted our escape from Chi-Raq for probably 9 out of those 10 years.

No regret at all in our move South, ended up in Austin, TX and are loving life. However, our Southern friend's have exposed us to a few things that are quite different than where I'm from:

- BBQ means smoking meats to perfection, not slapping some sauce on chicken a grill and eating hot dogs.

- The phrase "bless your/their heart" is not followed by anything nice to say about someone.

- The stars at night really are big and bright.

- I DO really drive like an asshole!

- Abraham Lincoln probably was a tyrant.

- Why use olive oil when you can keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge?

- As a summertime tent camper, I now can see myself getting an RV.

Any other sons and daughters of the North here move South and have their own observations.

"BBQ means smoking meats to perfection, not slapping some sauce on chicken a grill and eating hot dogs."
Correct

"The phrase "bless your/their heart" is not followed by anything nice to say about someone."
Correct

"The stars at night really are big and bright."
Come west to the desert for that>

"I DO really drive like an asshole!"
Then fucking stop!"

"Abraham Lincoln probably was a tyrant."
No politics in a non political thread.

"Why use olive oil when you can keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge?"
Who puts bacon grease in the fridge?

I suspect you don't welcome this, you need to meld into this to fit in, if you expect the status quo to do the opposite you may have a problem.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I moved from Illinois to Texas, I found the folks smiled and said please and thank you while they stuck the knife in.

Well . . . Bless Your Heart.

Posts: 607 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
10- It is not paradise. but close enough for me.

And everybody knows Paradise is in Kentucky (Muhlenberg County to be exact...just ask John Prine).

Posts: 607 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People in the north generally think Texans are not southerners. Like they didn't vote to succeed from the Union back when. When you start telling folks this stuff, they act shocked. Lately I've been telling folks around here who are slinging the "you're a racist if you are a republican" screed and whom generally tend to hate our new President, that the republican party was formed specifically to free the slaves. They're shocked to hear it. You ask: "you never heard of the civil war"? They say they have, but don't seem to know much about it.

Love to see Mark Dice roll with that stuff.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a few days in February working between staying in Ft. worth and going to Goldthwaite TX. Not to bad. Spent a little time in Glen Rose. Don't know why but, I just liked that little town.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
2 of my 5 sisters and my brother live in NC and they all say they miss a good slice of real pizza and a Philly hoagie. Apparently no one down South knows how to make a decent pizza or hoagie and I suspect that it may be the water not being the same, that does affect how pizza dough and hoagie rolls come out.

Having moved from eastern NC to PA (Philly area), I can confirm this is correct. When I first moved here, I thought man these pizzas are delicious, and couldn't get enough of them. I think you may be onto something with the water

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 of my 5 sisters and my brother live in NC and they all say they miss a good slice of real pizza and a Philly hoagie. Apparently no one down South knows how to make a decent pizza or hoagie and I suspect that it may be the water not being the same, that does affect how pizza dough and hoagie rolls come out.
There is some really good food in the South, but why is it impossible to get a decent bagel? Or maybe a knish?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally

I know KY is not TX but hey it's farther south so what happened to the accent? Confused

Californians.

There are actually quite a few with traditional Texas accents. Both of my SILs and even my girls who are married to them lean that way. Or as they would say "that-a way". Stop in just about any of the smaller Texas towns and you'll hear it.

We have several accents. Deep East Texas has the most distinctive (sort of more Southern, but not really). West Texas. To me, Central Texas and the Gulf Coast accents are pretty similar.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There is some really good food in the South, but why is it impossible to get a decent bagel? Or maybe a knish?

You can get a good bagel in Houston, and I know you can get one in Ft. Worth, too. I'd guess you can get one in Dallas. They are hard to find in the rest of the state. My parents tell me there are none in San Antonio.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of webdog44
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is so true. I grew up in MD/PA. Moved to Franklin, TN(near Nashville) 3 years ago. Biggest complaint is no good Pizza and no good Hoagies/Subs, especially no good steak and cheese. Still love it here though!

Posts: 34 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My Southern parents had a crazy idea of moving to Detroit for work when they married and 2 years later had me. I lived in that shithole for my first 7 years before my parents came to their senses and moved my brother and I to Georgia. That was 1974. I've learned that I was always Southern no matter where my mother gave birth. I've learned that I left nothing in the North, left coast, or any other liberal infested area. I've learned that the difference between y'all and you'ins is about a 2 hour drive from Atlanta. I've learned that I've managed to not only move to the kidney stone belt but also that I've managed to buy the buckle. I've learned that my home state is so familiar that I can watch almost any movie made and tell if it's made in Georgia by seeing the roadways and surrounding plant life. I've learned that it's possible to both miss my home State of Georgia and also feel right at home in Southeast Tennessee. I've also learned that you can go to work on a road crew, take in a morning deer hunt, and attend a Vols football game in one day, dressed in the same orange clothes and never have to change. I turned half a century yesterday and I'm glad I've spent 43 of those years in Georgia and Tennessee.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deplorable_Dixie:
quote:

Having moved from eastern NC to PA (Philly area), I can confirm this is correct. When I first moved here, I thought man these pizzas are delicious, and couldn't get enough of them. I think you may be onto something with the water

Take yourself to Atlas Pizza in Gainesville GA and you can knock the pizza part off of that list.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Been here 15 years now and I still refuse to call a shopping cart a "buggy" or a garden hose a "hose pipe". Other than that, I reckon' I'm fully indoctrinated.

Made me smile......I was born n' raised in Texas (still miss it every day), left home at age 21 and haven't yet made it back. I'm almost 43 now, so I've lived longer outside God's Country than I did inside.....and I still call 'em buggys! Never did hear the "hose pipe" bit, just called it a hose. Or a Coke (no matter what soft drink it is). Or "fixin' to go somewhere.

We keep eyeballing Central Texas....Waco area, maybe Lorena or Crawford, to move back to.

Posts: 1735 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Austin is the South?

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
quote:
When I moved from Illinois to Texas, I found the folks smiled and said please and thank you while they stuck the knife in.

Poor dear mistook polite for soft.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You can get a good bagel in Houston, and I know you can get one in Ft. Worth, too. I'd guess you can get one in Dallas. They are hard to find in the rest of the state. My parents tell me there are none in San Antonio.
You have to understand that I was born in Brooklyn (God's country!). When I visited my grandmother in the Jewish "ghetto" area there was a mom-and-pop bagel bakery on every block. At least one, maybe more. Fresh bagels, best you've ever had, hot out of the oven, just about any hour of day or night. Buy a bag of a dozen and there might be nine remaining in the bag by the time you get home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
quote:

Poor dear mistook polite for soft.

Not soft, civilized. Maybe my life's biggest regret is not finding a way to stay in Texas.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
WEBDOG44,
Where around Baltimore. Drop me a line. I grew up there as well.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7695 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Chicago till age 22, then Northern Virginia/DC area till Oct 2015, now North Carolina near Charlotte. Didn’t notice much difference between Northern Virginia and Chicago except once in a while would run into a real Virginian, if you know what I mean.

Since moving to North Carolina, I’ve noticed what others have said and more:
  • Southern manners, yes sir, yes maam
  • Bless their heart
  • Confederate flags flying
  • female cashiers calling me darling, honey, etc.
  • no problem here getting a decent, gigantic NY slice for $2.75-$3 almost anywhere I go
  • y’all and all y’all
  • yonder
  • the 4-lane (road)
  • weekend events/activities are often not widely advertised
  • people with bad or missing teeth is not uncommon
  • I haven’t seen or experienced any white or black prejudice to anyone either way at all – everyone is friendly as can be (compared to what is in the news)
  • wages are lower
  • you ain’t from here are ya?
  • over the loudspeaker at Home Depot yesterday “any associates not with a customer please come to the front for a buggy run” (get the shopping carts from the parking lot)
  • extremely cracked windshields are apparently not an inspection item
  • churches everywhere, and many are just a small building and don’t look like a church at all
  • cornhole game

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
The phrase "bless your/their heart" is not followed by anything nice to say about someone.

Now they're nice people, and I love them to death, but..........................................

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post