SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations of a Northerner who moved to the South Login/Join 
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted
Grew up in Indiana then lived in Chicago for a decade. Plotted our escape from Chi-Raq for probably 9 out of those 10 years.

No regret at all in our move South, ended up in Austin, TX and are loving life. However, our Southern friend's have exposed us to a few things that are quite different than where I'm from:

- BBQ means smoking meats to perfection, not slapping some sauce on chicken a grill and eating hot dogs.

- The phrase "bless your/their heart" is not followed by anything nice to say about someone.

- The stars at night really are big and bright.

- I DO really drive like an asshole!

- Abraham Lincoln probably was a tyrant.

- Why use olive oil when you can keep a jar of bacon grease in the fridge?

- As a summertime tent camper, I now can see myself getting an RV.

Any other sons and daughters of the North here move South and have their own observations.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Welcome, we won't hold it against you. Imagine all the cool things you could learn if you didn't move to one of the few blue counties in Texas! Cool

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
^^^ First thing I thought. Now that I think about it...probably best to ease onto it.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Welcome, you can expect about 35 more people to piss in your cheerios here with comments about what a liberal shit hole Austin is, enjoy Roll Eyes

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Welcome, you can expect about 35 more people to piss in your cheerios here with comments about what a liberal shit hole Austin is, enjoy Roll Eyes

Haha probably. Luckily I live just outside the city limits.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll bet those 35 have never lived in a real liberal shithole like Minneapolis.

I've always enjoyed my trips to TX though Houston is on my list of cities not to live in. Dallas/Ft Worth and San Antonio have always been enjoyable. All of the people I e met, both through work and socially have been delightful and very down to earth.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
When I moved from Illinois to Texas, I found the folks smiled and said please and thank you while they stuck the knife in.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8364 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
- The phrase "bless your/their heart" is not followed by anything nice to say about someone.

First, welcome! Second, that phrase has many nuances. It can indeed be used to express genuine sympathy without any accompanying insult. You just might have to be Southern to discern the difference. Wink

I hope you enjoy your new home.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a weekend in Austin. Great food, terrible traffic even on a Sunday. The people there are still serious about keeping it wierd.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I too, have relocated to the friendly South.

Living in the Orlando area, but I spent four years working in the "real South," in the Birmingham AL area.

I really enjoyed the warmth of the people there, even though it took me a few months to be able to understand them. New language, not at all like Brooklyn-speak. Smile

My co-workers at BellSouth told me, as an incoming Yankee, that there were three things you would never hear somebody say in Alabama:
  • "This tea is too sweet."

• "There's too much primer on that pickup truck."

• "Nope. You can't fix that with duct tape."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Moved from Detroit to middle TN....

Damn it's hot in the summer, but fall and spring are just beautiful and winter, well, after Detroit this just ain't winter. And that makes me very happy.

People in TN cannot merge onto a highway for shit!

Other than that I love it here. People actually are nicer, and way more chatty than Michiganders... Taxes are way cheaper, houses are cheaper. There were better gun clubs in Michigan, I haven't found any private clubs here, but I don't miss permits to purchase and registration, although after I left I understand you don't have to come back for that anymore.

You can actually get your money's worth out of a pool here too

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went north instead of south and learned:
1- Decent, polite people still exist.
2- They put the traffic lights on flash after midnight.
3- No one has broken into my car. Almost 9 years now!
4- The summer is beautiful. Short but beautiful.
5- Sisu!
6- Away from town, no traffic. Traveled the length of M69 Saturday. Encountered one other vehicle going in my direction.
7- Aurora Borealis.
8- An actual winter, as opposed to the rainy, gloomy, icy mess of my former residence.
9- Lake Superior.
10- It is not paradise. but close enough for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought Paradise was about 5 miles south of Whitefish Point? I'm fairly certain I had a cheeseburger there last summer.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and was commissioned 2Lt and entered the Air Force in 1960. After bumping around the world for 20 years, I retired and settled in Dallas, Texas in 1980. The Texans not only tolerated me, but they were very friendly and helpful in easing me away from lingering "Northern" habits and views. I've been here 36 years now and love my adopted state.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

My friends in Austin are awfully pissed at the foreigners invading. Traffic is a nightmare, property and taxes skyrocketed. One couple doesn't know how much longer hey are going to make it. Getting pushed out due to taxes. Population has absolutely exploded. Many are very pissed off.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All the big cities in TX are liberalized. Some just more than others. Just fact. Texas' days are numbered. Only a matter of when, not if, it'll turn blue. I've been contemplating eventually moving out of this shithole to some free states in the north.

Q

Posts: 26473 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Texas is one place I don't think I'd be able to live. Having to tell people to go screw their hat after they tell me I'm cooking wrong would weary me so.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

+1 dere eh?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yah, holy wah!
And Paradise is out east. And Pine Stump Junction, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I spent 27 years in Upstate New York and the last 40 years in the south. My observations:
Northerners talk to fast and drive terrible.
All directions include the word yonder(up yonder, down yonder, over yonder)
NASCAR rules
The pace is a bit slower and one of the first things you get asked is "do you have a church yet"?
Sir, maam and ya'll are staples.
The gal cashiers all call you "sugar" or "honey"

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post