SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driverless Cars expected to be available soon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driverless Cars expected to be available soon Login/Join 
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I 100% cannot wait until I no longer have to drive myself.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I think it was a Tesla that was in the self driving mode that had a collision with an 18 wheeler and killed the driver. Admittedly he was watching a movie, and not paying attention didn't help. I have used some pretty sophisticated auto flight systems, they are pretty reliable, but they also malfunction, and unless your really on top of it at critical times you can have some pretty dire consequences. I'll just keep on driving my own.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
"Coop, Highway Patrol says you were driving manually. On the highway!"

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Autonomous cars...

I'm still waiting for the flying cars we were all promised would be commonplace by 2001 in the 1960s. Confused

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
It will also be interesting to see what safeguards will be implemented to keep these from being hacked or systems spoofed.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We shall see. Machines break. Driverless vehicles hurtling down the road? What could go wrong? Open the pod bay doors, Hal...

Oooh, driverless cars in the Hood. eUber or some such. Maybe get a fleet of driverless Fiat Coupes. They'd disappear like crazy, just carried off. Big Grin

Yes, indeed.

Imagine all the 'driverless' cars circling in cities right after the commute, looking for cheap parking places. Where are those going to be found? Not in the business districts....Hmmm....

Gonna be gridlock central getting to the combat zones.

One of the 'leventy zillion reasons research money on this will wind up having been thrown down a rat hole.

To the fanboyzzz....here's a puzzler: people thought nuclear power was the bees' knees too. Technically, it was/is. Think about why that didn't happen here. Hint: zero people died at Three Mile Island. How many more will by means of algorithmic road machines, and what will the reactions be?

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I love you guys but man you are full of shit. Lol

I will take any wagers that think autonomous cars will do a horse and buggy routine in the next 10 years. Listen to what you guys are saying. The first thing car owners neglect is maintenance. Even if every car has a transponder you still need to maintain it. The visual stuff is and will continued to be confused by lighting, markings, rain, fog, shit on your window, etc. Radar?

Comparing this to planes is beyond idiocy. Ever read how many maintenance hours are performed for every day of flying? The average car owner only fixes stuff when it breaks.

I don’t think you’re well read on the subject. You won’t own the car. You’ll basically subscribe to it. No driveway. No parking. It will make your trip, then go make someone else’s.

I know this is a lot for people to grasp.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can see it now- the press out on some test track for an unveiling of driverless vehicles. The CEO of some new company stands in the middle of the track, feet set in a wide stance, closed fists on hips, telegraphing his supreme confidence.
In the background, dust rises and several sleek vehicles rapidly emerge from the cloud, hurtling towards the CEO.

Here they come!! ffffffffffFFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!!!!

Ooopsie, oh, the CEO has gotten run over several times. Back to the drawing board.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
You won’t own the car. You’ll basically subscribe to it. No driveway. No parking. It will make your trip, then go make someone else’s.

And this is precisely why it won't be as successful as many people think. It is the same reason that Americans don't use as much public transportation as other nations do. Freedom. The automobile to Americans represents freedom. On a moments notice they can jump in and go wherever they want. No waiting for the bus, no waiting for the driverless car. Look at the amounts of money people spend on their vehicles. This is more than just wanting reliable transportation, it's a personal statement. People aren't going to want to be tied down to transportation they don't own and can't control.

In a big city where some people don't even have a license? It might be semi-successful. In suburbia or the country no way.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chp37:
"a useless technology"

Why would anybody ever want a computer in their house?

Or in their pocket?

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Your computer or phone can't slam you into a brick wall at 75 mph.

And, of course, those computers and phones never malfunction, because computers are machines and machines never malfunction or break.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
You won’t own the car. You’ll basically subscribe to it. No driveway. No parking. It will make your trip, then go make someone else’s.

And this is precisely why it won't be as successful as many people think. It is the same reason that Americans don't use as much public transportation as other nations do. Freedom. The automobile to Americans represents freedom. On a moments notice they can jump in and go wherever they want. No waiting for the bus, no waiting for the driverless car. Look at the amounts of money people spend on their vehicles. This is more than just wanting reliable transportation, it's a personal statement. People aren't going to want to be tied down to transportation they don't own and can't control.

In a big city where some people don't even have a license? It might be semi-successful. In suburbia or the country no way.

Data says otherwise.

The Decline of the Driver's License

You know those lists they publish every year, “kids born today will never own a CD, have a landline”

Eventually it will be, have a license. As others have said, the economics of car insurance will price people out, no matter where they live.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People don't want to subscribe to a car. Call me a curmudgeon as much as you want but you guys are confusing gee whiz tech with practicality.

Let's get back to the start. The initial premise of this thread was a horse and buggy moment in time. 10 year window. Everybody will be doing it. Horseshit.

Lets talk basics. You guys understand basics right? This stuff is expensive. I buy a car and pay for it. After that I put in gas, oil, tire rotations. That's it for the most part. You now want me to subscribe to a car service? I don't lease now why would a lifetime of ownership mentality change now? Answer, it won't.

The tech will continue to improve. It will never get beyond the bottom line that a driver will ALWAYS have to be paying attention to intervene if the tech gets confused, breaks, or whatever. The idea of sitting in the back while the car drives you anywhere is not anywhere near the foreseeable future.

You guys are splitting hairs. Will you be able to drive down the highway and a car will control the throttle and steering. Yep. Will you have to sit in the seat and monitor it? Yep. In your lifetime are you going to sit in the back seat, tell it where to go and arrive there through a variety of conditions, roads, and weather without a human monitoring it? Nope, and this curmudgeon will take any of your bets on that.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys understand basics right?
I think so, coach.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Budweiser delivered a load of beer with a driverless truck.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Budweiser delivered a load of beer with a driverless truck.
Well shit, I'm sold.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Soon you'll be getting your pizza and Amazon from driverless vehicles.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spokane, you say the economics of insurance will price people out of cars. How do you surmise that when we "lease" out this service they car company pays for insurance? They would merely pass the price onto you. As for car services in general, you really think people will be ok with finishing dinner and then waiting for a car to show up as soon as it's available? Will it have to return to one location for fueling or will gas station attendants now go back to filling up cars?

I'm with the horse and buggy on this one for quite awhile.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Never happen on a grand scale. Too many shitty back roads everywhere (especially here) full of all kinds of hazards that no programmer in some far off land can teach a computer to navigate safely. Then bring on blizzards and mud season and it's just not gonna happen. Not reliably. I trust my judgement that has been developed through experience. No computer will ever be as complex as the human mind so it just "ain't" gonna happen.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Predictions about the future are flawlessly accurate.

I was promised a hovercraft, so...