SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driverless Cars expected to be available soon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driverless Cars expected to be available soon Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I love you guys but man you are full of shit. Lol

I will take any wagers that think autonomous cars will do a horse and buggy routine in the next 10 years. Listen to what you guys are saying. The first thing car owners neglect is maintenance. Even if every car has a transponder you still need to maintain it. The visual stuff is and will continued to be confused by lighting, markings, rain, fog, shit on your window, etc. Radar?

Comparing this to planes is beyond idiocy. Ever read how many maintenance hours are performed for every day of flying? The average car owner only fixes stuff when it breaks.

This will happen in very limited settings and there will still be problems. Widespread use? Ha ha ha ha ha. I wil believe in the flat earthers before this stuff goes widespread.

Tell you what, lets get electric cars to work on a cross country drive first.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
From what I've read, one of the most tricky parts of programming the auto-drivers is that human drivers try to intimidate them on the road.

Wait until the driverless cars are programmed to intimidate them back.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think a lot of you guys are just old curmudgeons. Big Grin

I think the driverless cars will happen and it will happen soon. The biggest obstacle is likely you guys that want to drive. If all the cars were driverless there would certainly be a big improvement. The cars will drive the speed limit, they will leave enough space. They will stop on yellow. The won't be drunk (hoping they will drive me home once in a while). They will likely not operator if some required safety maintenance is not done. The idea on the video is that most of us won't own vehicles. We'll just order what we want. So the maintenance will be handled by Uber or Lyft or something.

Maybe we should invest in race tracks or land where we can put tracks for the guys that still want the excitement of driving.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
The computer is much more capable of determining the safest corse of action than you are.

Nonsense, in the context of the chaos of real life in the myriad of situations on the many various roads of the US. Can it multiply a big number faster, sure, sort a list faster, sure, but that's not the task, and these requirements and unknowns are significant.

That computer or any other is capable of nothing more than what it's programmed to do, using the platforms and hardware available, by humans, with finite budgets, and families, deadlines, and competing priorities, and imperfect teams, and twenty other factors.

I have been a key part of the design and building and delivery and maintenance of about a billion USD worth of large software projects in my career, in damn near every conceivable role, and less complicated endeavors take longer, and fail in various ways regularly.

Those who tout it's near-term impending nature are salespeople, marketing sorts, CEOs and other so called Visionaries who have a vested interest in its success or are engaging in wishful thinking. Will it come to the bulk of America and the world one day, probably so.

But I don't believe for a second that it's as road ready as many would have you believe, and I've seen and read pretty much everything anyone else not directly involved has. Most of it reeks of typical marketing speak. The testing efforts alone would need to be *substantial*...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
I routinely have my car accelerate and brake in stop-and-go work traffic, daily, right now. I have to intervene sometimes, I have to turn it on and off, and I have to pay attention as the operator, but point is, it's available technology today, and even past Mark 1. And I would rate it about 90% effective. It doesn't get distracted, it doesn't get tired, and often reacts sooner than I would. Ten years, twenty tops.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How about driverless police cars?

The Arrest Yo Self Campaign

Driverless taxis? Man, they'd go all jihad in NYC if someone suggested driverless taxis.

Count me in with the skeptics. A decade from now, you'll still be driving yourself.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I live in Silicon Valley, name brand companies all around me are working on this technology.
Everyone is pouring the vast majority of their resources into this technology. Whether we want it or not it will be the norm much quicker than most people realize.

As far as ISIS using this technology? Kind of goofy since they have no shortage of idiots now that will happily go on a suicide mission.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
There are so many issues with driverless cars. Hardware - what happens when the sensors malfunction? Or just don't have the input they need? GPS (car has to know where it is at to drive you where you are going) is notoriously bad in big cities with tall buildings or going through tunnels. Software - I don't even want to contemplate how many lines of code and the QA needed for all of it. I've worked on AIs before and while they can be very fast and reliable on a small area of expertise, you give them something outside of what they are trained or programmed for and you will get random answers. Also, they have to be carefully designed, programmed and tested. Then there is the law, and liability. Who will be responsible for a traffic violation or an accident? The owner? The operator if different from the owner? The software? The hardware? And then there are people like me who like driving.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the skeptic camp.

These will become widely adopted about the time flying cars are commonplace.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The engineering behind this will make a vehicle cost prohibitive for at least the next 3-5 decades, only the wealthiest of individuals and corporations will have financial means to afford this stuff. There are several of you comparing this to a PC. How long did it take for PC's to become affordable enough that everyone had access to them? Any time there are cost cutting measures, there are endurance/reliability cutting measures.

Cost analysis are always a big factor in whether a technology takes off or becomes dead before arrival. Think of all the things out there that would make our lives so much easier, but cost so much that nobody could actually afford it, even if it existed.

How can a self driving car handle off road terrains? Doubt they'd have the ability to drive around a farmers "improved" field much less a rough/mountainous region that some of us need to traverse for work or fun.

Not going to happen in my lifetime I think...and I am only 36

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I know I 've never had ANY of my computers at home or in a vehicle malfunction in any fashion, so I feel absolutely confident in trusting my life to a driverless car.

Wink

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I want to see one of these "5 years out" cars handle an iced road with markings covered by a dusting of snow or thick frost. Our infrastructure is not ready to handle it his, and even if it were, it wouldn't take long for lack of maintenance to make it dangerous. DARPA has been working on self driving cars since at least the 90s, I find it laughable that it's now ready.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Obviously most of y’all haven’t driven a Tesla S with all the tech on it.

I recently tested one out. It’s alreafy driving itself guys. It doesn’t use gps either, that’s not how it works. Tunnels and tall buildings don’t bother it one bit. This isn’t a debate at all. It already exists and it works! Well!

I’m taking my wife to drive one this weekend and will likely order one. It’s freaking amazing!

To add all the driving stuff is about $10k extra. Tesla is coming about with a model that is supposed to be around $40k. So for less than $50 you can get a self driving car. Not to be a jerk but it’s pretty obvious the nay sayers really don’t understand where we already are.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We shall see. Machines break. Driverless vehicles hurtling down the road? What could go wrong? Open the pod bay doors, Hal...

Oooh, driverless cars in the Hood. eUber or some such. Maybe get a fleet of driverless Fiat Coupes. They'd disappear like crazy, just carried off. Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are planning to continue living independently ten years from now when the car will pick up groceries for us, take us to the doctor, and take us for a nice ride in the country on a Sunday afternoon while we make out in the back seat. Eek

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ha Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Obviously most of y’all haven’t driven a Tesla S with all the tech on it.

I recently tested one out. It’s alreafy driving itself guys. It doesn’t use gps either, that’s not how it works. Tunnels and tall buildings don’t bother it one bit. This isn’t a debate at all. It already exists and it works! Well!

I’m taking my wife to drive one this weekend and will likely order one. It’s freaking amazing!

To add all the driving stuff is about $10k extra. Tesla is coming about with a model that is supposed to be around $40k. So for less than $50 you can get a self driving car. Not to be a jerk but it’s pretty obvious the nay sayers really don’t understand where we already are.
100% correct and it's really in its infant stages. There's a reason the entire industry is pouring so much money into this. The people closest to it are very aware of the current capabilities much less 5/10/15 etc... years from now.

I just don't think many people understand how it works so it's a very scary proposition.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Not to be a jerk but it’s pretty obvious the nay sayers really don’t understand where we already are.

I don't give a crap if Jesus Christ himself comes down from heaven and gives these stupid cars his blessing. It's not about how good the technology is. I just don't want it. It's as simple as that. I want to drive my own car. Period.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post