SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Copenhagen
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Copenhagen Login/Join 
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I quit. It will be 2 years in April. It ultimately got to the point where my wife told me she didn't care if I quit or not, but that I was going to quit quitting because she couldn't handle being around me. What finally put me over the edge was watching my 18mo old son walking around the house spitting like daddy. I knew I had to quit. Mark Twain said something to the effect of "quitting smoking is easy, I've done it 1000's of times".. and it is absolutely true. Quitting is easy, staying quit... well. You can do it. You just have to be committed to it 6 months from now when the memory of how awful the quitting experience is fades and your subconscious starts telling you that just one won't hurt...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Having done neither I am curious. Which of the two habits is the harder to break, smoking or dipping?

dip has a lot more nicotine than smoke.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chantix worked for me with smoking, makes it easy...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Alright so I slept good last night. I was able to pass out without issue.

I woke up at 6:30am feeling pretty good.

Holy shit man ... I haven’t had a dip all day long and I’m losing my mind. Time is going so slow. Seconds feel like minutes. I feel high — I feel like I’m in a dream. Nothing feels real.

I am 15 hours 43 minutes and 39 seconds into my quit ... no nicotine.

I JUST WANT TO SCREAM!!!

I haven’t got a thing done today. I am worthless. No work getting done, that’s for sure.

Here’s to day one, turning into day two, later this evening.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Fall semester of my senior year at Oklahoma State, I sat down in a classroom in the ag building to take a test.
The prof passed out the test and I was halfway through it when my pop can tipped over, spilling the contents across my test.
I righted the can and carefully folded the test up to contain most of the spill, then I wiped my shirt sleeve over the top of the desk trying to clean up any remaining mess. I got up, walked out of the classroom.
It was the last day I did skoal.
Good luck.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
It doesn't hurt you to want. You didn't get to be an addict overnight and you wont shake the habit that quick either. You'll think about dip 24/7 for the first couple weeks but that won't kill you. Good luck and don't pussy out.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve put a reward out there to myself, if I can quit.

New wheels and tires for my 2018 Yukon Denali. I’m gonna go 295/55r20 — Nitto Ridge Grapplers. With some Helo HE901 20x9 wheels.

I’ll also need to level the truck — I’ll use a SuspensionMaxx leveling kit (2.5” in front / 1.5” rear).

What a great reward, if I can stick with this. My mind is going absolutely crazy right now. One second at a time. One minute at a time.

Holy shit Mad

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
From what I remember in my chemistry, and nutrition, classes in college the chemical structure of nicotine is very similar to the B-vitamins. Hence the addiction. It may help to have a daily dose of liquid B vitamins, or Odwalla Blueberry B Monster drink, or eating popcorn sprinkled with nutritional/brewer's yeast.

Good luck!

I tried some chew after I turned 18. It was the brand advert'ed by that Monday Night Football guy, Lief Garrison. Gott im Himmel! Nasty and disgusting!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Here’s to day one, turning into day two, later this evening.

I quit smoking approx 29 years ago.
Cold turkey. One of the most difficult things I've done. But oh so worth it.

For me, the cravings were pretty much the same, no matter how much time had passed from when I quit.
What did change was how often the cravings happened, and how long they lasted.

As time went by, the cravings happened less and less. And they became shorter in duration. And, I became better at coping with them.

At first, you will really second-guess your ability to pull this off. As time goes on, if you stick to your guns, you will realize it is possible.

To be successful you have to reach a point where you have decided you're no longer going to dip, and that's that. Period.

You'll find that if you have reached that point, you can actually do it.

No, it's not easy. But people do it, and so can you.

It is worth it, believe me.

This is a test of your resolve and your will power, straight up.
If you want it bad enough, it's a done deal.

When the cravings come, get your mind on something else as soon as possible.

Don't torture yourself when the cravings come. Remember why you have quit. And then get your mind on something else.

For sure, when you first quit, that will be easier said than done. But you'll find within the first few weeks that the cravings will be less frequent. Probably just as powerful, but less frequent and shorter in duration. Then you'll know you're on your way.

Good luck and congratulations in making a difficult but wise decision.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Thanks, Mod.

1 day, 9 hours without a dip.

I woke up twice last night in a panic / drenched in sweat. I don’t like how I feel right now. I keep telling myself this is temporary.

posted Hide Post
Try chewing whole coffee beans when you get the urge.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, man. I live here in the rural south and it is very prevalent among my friends- a bear to quit but worth it! So many I know dip or chew that everyone knows someone missing mouth parts. I chewed in Middle School a few months during baseball until I met a parent with no lower lip from Cope. Thank goodness because I have a super addictive personality.

You can do it- you know you can- you've done it before! Keep checking in here!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
^ Thanks, Mod.

1 day, 9 hours without a dip.

I woke up twice last night in a panic / drenched in sweat. I don’t like how I feel right now. I keep telling myself this is temporary.

Nicotine is as addictive as heroin---maybe worse. You were consuming a very high daily amount. Just know today and tomorrow is as bad as it gets, and you WILL DO IT. Kill the bitch. Breaking an addiction cold turkey is very rough, but you will feel much better in a week and much much better in two weeks. Hang in there! Sending positive thoughts!! Keep checking in here. I am sure many members will support you!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ditching soft drinks was hell for me. I can’t imagine nicotine. Keep fighting!

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In August 2016 I got a lung infection tearing out an ancient ceiling in an opera house. My casual smoking had to go. The easiest way was to give up the most common smoking trigger, beer. Also I became even more fanatical about wearing a respirator at work. This past Jan/Feb, I was breathing ... and became very aware of how clear my lungs were ... and was thankful.

Driving thru SD this past June I saw billboards, "Quitting smoking during substance abuse programs greatly increases the chance of staying in the program". I think it was about quitting alcohol, but the idea of a trigger is not new. You should see me when The Trilogy combines: an open carton of ice cream, the sun is down, a decent DVD is on the flicker. Although since the single-serving size is no longer a full half gallon, my consumption is theoretically down.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qcsmitty:
I strongly recommended Nicorette gum.

I second this. Try it. It works.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Hang in there and tough it out brother. I tried that stuff ONCE when was in my teens. Had it in my lip for less than ten minutes before the room started spinning. I had to go lay down for a bit to keep from puking. That was enough for me.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m approaching the 48 hour mark since I last ingested nicotine.

Today has been rough. Super rough. I slept terribly last night. And all day has just been a blur.

Nothing feels real. I feel like I’m in a dream. I’m super pissed off most of the time. Almost like I’m just ready to rage.

I spent about an hour on the elliptical this afternoon and that felt really good.

Also went for a walk with my wife and kids.

This is something else. I feel like I’m operating at about the level of a 7 year old kid.

I’m slow. Everything is hard to understand. I’m confused. I feel cloudy.

Oh, and have I mentioned that time is moving EXTREMELY slow?! Minutes seem like hours.

At 10:30 tonight I’ll hit 48 hours free of nicotine. I really hope tomorrow is better.

I can’t wait to be free!!

Picture of Crob59
posted Hide Post
You can do it!!
Remember that right now you are at the depths of the initial physical withdrawal.. it will get better.

You have also passed two out of three MAJOR mental hurdles.

1) You have made the decision to quit.
2) You have carried through with the necessary actions of actually quitting.

Now comes mental hurdle 3, staying tobacco free.
Beware of two days, two weeks, two months and two years.

Sounds like you have the two days in the bag!

Having been through what you are going through
It WILL be worth it

Good Luck!

The older I get, the dumber everyone else gets!

Posts: 10 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: April 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. I'm glad you're keeping us in the loop. You can get through this.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post