SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

V-Tail, what was Dam Neck like in 1965?
I have no idea. I was there nine years before that, for nine months of USN Guided Missile school (Regulus missile). 1965, I was working for Bell Labs in Holmdel NJ.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
MY 1990 Pontiac Grand Am with a 5 speed sick. Quad Four. That was a fun car.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3872 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

I have no idea. I was there nine years before that, for nine months of USN Guided Missile school (Regulus missile). 1965, I was working for Bell Labs in Holmdel NJ.

Whoops, got that a bit backwards. How was it in 56? One of the roads is named Regulus ave. Didn’t know it was after a missile.

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
1988 BMW 528e. Hands down.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

One of the roads is named Regulus ave. Didn’t know it was after a missile.
Indeed it is. The Guided Missile school at Dam Neck was nine months long, at that time. Common curriculum for the first six months, then we were allowed to request which missile we wanted to learn in the final three months of school. We had a choice of two missiles, Regulus, which I chose, was a surface-to-surface cruise missile. I don't remember any specifics about the other one, might have been Terrier. I know that it was a "beam rider," surface-to-air, intended to protect surface ships from aerial attack.

Here's a Regulus, with two "Charlie" FJ Fury (Navy version of F-86) chase planes. The Able / Baker plane was a T2V (Navy's equivalent of Air Force T-33), used for the final phase of the missile flight, for landing after a training flight.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually two--1969 Olds F85 W31 (hotted up Oldsmobile 350 cu in) with a Muncie 4 Speed/Hurst linkage and the second was a 2018 Camaro ZL-1 with the Tremec 6 speed. My other cars were mostly VW/Audi products with ho hum gearboxes.
PP48

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 16, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

One of the roads is named Regulus ave. Didn’t know it was after a missile.
Indeed it is. The Guided Missile school at Dam Neck was nine months long, at that time. Common curriculum for the first six months, then we were allowed to request which missile we wanted to learn in the final three months of school. We had a choice of two missiles, Regulus, which I chose, was a surface-to-surface cruise missile. I don't remember any specifics about the other one, might have been Terrier. I know that it was a "beam rider," surface-to-air, intended to protect surface ships from aerial attack.

Here's a Regulus, with two "Charlie" FJ Fury (Navy version of F-86) chase planes. The Able / Baker plane was a T2V (Navy's equivalent of Air Force T-33), used for the final phase of the missile flight, for landing after a training flight.

Wow. That’s a good sized missile.

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

I was just thinking about your question, and a sort of off-the-wall memory popped into my mind. Strange, that something this trivial would surface after 67 years.

It was the barracks at the Guided Missile school. Every morning, the PA system would blast us awake, but instead of the traditional bugled reveille, or the bosun's pipe, they would play the opening theme song of a local radio station that started its daily broadcast schedule at that time. For nine months at that school, we were awakened to a recording of "Love Is Just Around The Corner." Can't remember for sure now, but I think it was the Frank Sinatra recording, although Bing Crosby also recorded that song.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Needabiggersafe
posted Hide Post
1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia easy to learn on and fun to drive.
It will not beat you up and is matched perfectly to the 1600 engine.

I learned on my older brother's 1975 red beetle when it was new and got my first Ghia in college in 1978 and logged many miles on that car.

Needabiggersafe

Life Member NRA

Posts: 541 | Location: Rockville, MD.USA! | Registered: June 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was one that had
P,f,n,r,1,2 printed next to it that was wonderful

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54685 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Driven a few others often, that were at my disposal, Corvair (which eventually blew up, electrical problem), Fiat Spider, Mercedes coup.

As far as the Triumphs mentioned earlier, Tr3, Tr4, Tr4A, Tr250, Tr6.

Posts: 2787 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2001 Mazda Miata LS 6-speed was a lot of fun to drive!

Posts: 3492 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post