SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
While the S2000 was my favorite, looking at all the posts reminded me of my 1981 Volvo Turbo - 4 speed with push button for electric overdrive. The basic H pattern is the easiest to use, with the "shift" to overdrive a simple push of the button on top of the shifter. If I remember correctly, you needed to depress the clutch when shifting into overdrive.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Various Harley Davidsons 6 speed

I believe you may be the first to make such a claim... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8951 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Well, they are manual transmissions LOL

The latest 6 speeds are actually pretty good
units

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
UP until my current vehicle, have driven manual trans for a daily drive since a teen. Never found one I didn't like, Triumphs, various VW's, Nissans, 60's vintage Fords...

One time for a move, rented a big diesel stick-shift truck, that was fun.

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

units
Some of the worst transmissions were in the /7 series BMW Motorcycles. There was a dead spot between 4th and 5th, that could leave you in an unintended neutral if you were not really assertive about shifting between these two gears, either upshifting or downshifting.

There was a guy in our Chicago BMW club, a mechanical engineer, who disassembled the transmission, modified the profile of a cam sort of plate, and that solved the problem. I had him do it for both mine and my wife's bikes. He submitted the change to BMW and they incorporated it into production the following year.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

manual | ˈmanyə(wə)l |
adjective

relating to or done with the hands
Maybe they are foot-ual. Although I had an HD with an actual manual transmission. Foot clutch, shift lever was on the left side of the gas tank. I don't remember what year the motorcycle was, but I bought it used, in 1956, when I was at the USN Guided Missile School in Dam Neck VA. After a while I traded it for a more refined Sunbeam.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

manual | ˈmanyə(wə)l |
adjective

relating to or done with the hands
Maybe they are foot-ual. Although I had an HD with an actual manual transmission. Foot clutch, shift lever was on the left side of the gas tank. I don't remember what year the motorcycle was, but I bought it used, in 1956, when I was at the USN Guided Missile School in Dam Neck VA. After a while I traded it for a more refined Sunbeam.

Yep foot clutches were a thing on the older Harley's those were cool, and since you moved the shift lever with your hand it would be "man"ual....

That old HD would have been the talk of the town if you still had it..

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Driven - Porsche 911. Pretty much any iteration from 80s on.

Owned - none approaching that really, but our '86 CRX and '08 M3 were/are pretty solid. We also loved the uniqueness of the '87 Maxima SE that was also a manual.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
1975 Porsche 914 2.0.

Posts: 4040 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

units

I rode one of the early six speeds when I was working in a dealership once. Did that thing ever howl in fifth gear!

Made me appreciate the five speed in my ‘02 FLHTPI and the clunking four speed in my ‘82 Shovelhead all the more.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8137 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Out of the 1945 Ford GPW, 1986 BMW 3 series, 1986 Honda CRX DX, 1990 Honda Civic DX hatchback, 1992 Honda Prelude Si, 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport, 2000 Honda S2000, 2002 Corvette, 2004 VW Golf diesel, and 2017 Ford Focus ST3; I’d have to go with the S2000 as the best manual transmission.

Posts: 11010 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rode one of the early six speeds when I was working in a dealership once. Did that thing ever howl in fifth gear!

HD is famous for straight cut gears in the trans, you get noise no doubt, surprised you could hear it over the clattering of valves and the clacking of the lifters Razz

Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I had a 1994 Honda Accord with a 5 speed manual. I drove that car 336,000 miles on the original clutch.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll add that the 5MT in the Lexis IS300 is a good one too. My aunt had one for a while, really fun little car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
If I remember correctly, you needed to depress the clutch when shifting into overdrive.

Clutch wasn't necessary for that on my '79 non-turbo. Wink

(Wow, I didn't think I'd ever run into anyone else who had used that button-on-top Volvo thing.) Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My 1964 Porsche 356C Cabriolet. Not the fastest car, but damn fun to drive.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Datsun 2000 five speed. Fifth was a slight over drive an I could get 28mpg at 75 mph. Then the ignorant double nickel law came about and I was stuck in forth at less than 24mpg
Great car for SCCA Solo II

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
As I recall, with American V-8 muscle cars you would immediately remove the stock shift linkage and replace it with a Hurst shifter (Competition plus).
It would never be like a European car as far as smooth and effortless.

With American muscle cars you needed a strong linkage. The everyday shifting was smooth enough, the big test was full throttle power shifting where you never lifted off the gas when you ran the gears.Throwing those shifts with full strength from your arms, shoulder, and back was the key.Lighting up the tires after each shift was glorious ( how many gears can you get rubber in was the question, a big block ruled the roost for this). Keeping the car going straight was an added chore.

On My 450HP Pantera It had a gated 5 speed. With the engine only inches away from your right arm and the big Holley carb only a foot away from your right ear full throttle was like a religious experience.A 1-2 power shift from a low left gated box to an upper right gate needed practice, I practiced all the time.

My 70 454 Corvette was the most dangerous car I ever owned, It was an animal to control, spinning out on a power shift happened many times.I spent time in several ditches and front parkways.

My God I miss that!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

My 1964 Porsche 356C Cabriolet. Not the fastest car, but damn fun to drive.
I had a 1963 356B Coupe, bought new in 1964. Great car!

Brought it with me when I went to work in Puerto Rico, where it was destroyed by a dude who ran through a red light at an estimated 45 mph.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Pretty incredible variety of cars on here.

V-Tail, what was Dam Neck like in 1965?

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post