SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't have any experience with Ferrari or Porsche but I really enjoyed the transmission on my 1994 F-150 paired to a 300ci straight 6.

The motor had good torque so minimal clutch feathering was required. The reverse gear was a little tall so you had to get used to it. Reminded me of an old school bus with the long shifter.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have owned 13 'sticks' in my life but my absolute favorite was my 2006 Honda S2000. I sold it last month due to our collective difficulties getting in and out. It was buttery smooth. Getting old sucks.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
In a car? The old Ford "top loader". In a truck? The GM Muncie SM465.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worst: Ford 2.72 3speed.
Best: T5 in anything

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Honda S2000 & most Miatas are great. I didn't like the 6MT in the NB Miata, had a tendency to hit the corner for R when shifting quickly to 5th.

The 6MT V6 Honda Accords from the 7th gen, tricky clutch, but great once you got going.

Lotus Elise might be the best I've driven though

Strangest was a couple of 190E 2.3-16 Mercedes
R is top L
1st is bottom L
Puts 2-5 in an H pattern

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
First I bought with my own $$$$ was a semi-restored 1957 Chevy 210, 2 door.
Brandy wine over red with gold metal flake. White top and fin triangle.
350 small block, 4 bolt main, 4spd Saginaw and a Hurst shifter. Final drive was 4:10.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responses. Enjoying them. I haven’t driven too many myself, probably less than a dozen. Only ones that were a bit regular at the time were:

1983 Toyota Tercel
1988 Honda Prelude SI
1987 Pontiac Trans Am
1996 Camaro Z28 6 speed
2006 Pontiac Solstice

I remember that Prelude as being very smooth. Always wondered about some of the older Vettes and any Porsches. Not surprised about the popularity of the Honda S2000.

Posts: 450 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Lots of unexpected answers, though maybe not. I drove a 944 a lot, a friend owned it and I drove it all the time, but I remember nothing special about it. Owned and drove lots of cars and trucks with manual transmissions, and much like so many others in this thread, the only memorable one in a good way, was a 1982 Honda civic. lol However that might be because it was so unlike everything else I was used to driving, big heavy cars and trucks with mechanical clutch mechanism with tons of pedal throw you really had to push.
About that time manuals I was used to were a 3 speed on the column in a '56 Chevy, a '69 F750, a '72 F250, and an '82 R model Mack, so to me that Honda was like a tiny go-cart.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My favorite was a Ford T&C Toploader 4 speed with a Hearst shifter that I installed in my 1965 F100…the entire driveline was out of a 1969 428 Mach 1 Mustang that I bought from a friend who totaled it…the whole driveline from the Mustang dropped directly in place of the factory 352 in the truck when I bought it in 1975…it would haul ass as well as drink gas!…but it was a hoot to drive Smile Smile Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I miss the manual trans I had in 3 old cars.
1966 Shelby GT350
1970 Corvette coupe 454
1972 DeTomaso Pantera
I don't miss the 4000# Hayes 3 finger clutch in the Pantera, It was tough when I was young, don't even want to think of dealing with that now that I'm old.

How does the Mazdaratti not make your list?

Year V

Posts: 2635 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ZF 5 speed in my '74L Pantera. When it was new, it was a bit stiff, but broke in well.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MUNCIE Close -Ratio 4 speed.
it was in a 1957 CHEVY 2 Door .
It had a 327 c.i. engine my brother and I rebuilt in our parents basement one winter (a couple of years ago.).

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Nothing trumps the exceedingly smooth short throw Honda S2000 6-speed manual transmission period. Big Grin Snick. Snick. Snick.
Smile

THIS! I’ve been blessed with having been able to own/drive some really nice machines from Porsches to BMW’s to muscle cars etc. and the S2K’s gear box is my favorite. I would also put a good Miata box up there as well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7697 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My 1972 Citroën DS21 had a four-speed manual transmission with an unusual shift pattern and an automatically actuated clutch.

In the mid-1960's, I think, my father had a client who owned a Citroën dealership on Chicago's west side, took me along one afternoon. After about ten minutes he gave up trying to explain how to shift the damned thing, so I missed a wonderful opportunity to drive a true classic when it was new. Probably a DS19.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have owned various manual cars in the past; an old 70s Audi 100LS, couple of Hondas Civics (hatchback, Si), my first Tacoma. I have driven an S2000, my sister-law's old Prelude, my brothers old BMW 2002si, a VW beetle. But the best tranny I have ever shifted is my current Mazda MX5 Miata RF, can't believe how it shifts, just flawless. A true 6 speed manual.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

My 1972 Citroën DS21 had a four-speed manual transmission with an unusual shift pattern and an automatically actuated clutch.
In the mid-1960's, I think, my father had a client who owned a Citroën dealership on Chicago's west side, took me along one afternoon. After about ten minutes he gave up trying to explain how to shift the damned thing, so I missed a wonderful opportunity to drive a true classic when it was new. Probably a DS19.
Small world? Unless there was more than one Citroën dealer in that area, that would be where I bought mine. It was a 1972 model, I bought it either 1972 or 1973. Trade-in was a 1968 Mustang.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30732 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I thought about trading in my AP1 for an Elise... until I test drove the Elise. At 6'3" I fit into the car just fine, but there wasn't even enough room for my left shoe to get to the clutch without hitting the brake. It was a shame.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Acura NSX, Honda S2000, Honda Prelude....basically stated, any Honda rod shifter. Their other manuals are great but cable-actuated.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
997 generation Porsche Carrera S 6MT

I hope to have one in the garage someday.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I thought about trading in my AP1 for an Elise... until I test drove the Elise. At 6'3" I fit into the car just fine, but there wasn't even enough room for my left shoe to get to the clutch without hitting the brake. It was a shame.

I'd have an S2k over an Elise, long-term.
I really wanted an Elise for a long time, then my dad worked for a speed shop & they're a real pain to work on.
Look up the alignment instructions, sounds like a huge pain. Shim, check, reshim, check, along with partially disassembling it each time.

That said, the Elise is probably also one of the most fun sports cars I've ever driven. Really is like a Miata on steroids & cocaine.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post