SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow? Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Maybe he’s shooting a crossbow or a regular bow. 25-30 yard shot would be ideal.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It's been a few days now.

Did he get one?

I don't know this neighbor personally but I can't imagine not? Likely a few by the end of the year. Actually he doesn't live on the property he rents out the house and just comes by to hunt from the hut. Oddly about 250 yards behind, and right in line from the hut's window beyond the feeder, is the house! I haven't seen any activity at the house since the last tenant moved out a year or so ago.
There was quite a lot of shooting all around yesterday (first day). What do you figure, 2 deer killed for every 3 shots? Most hunt from huts or tree stands and I seldom hear 2 shots in rapid succession. I only heard 3-4 shots this morning and 1 a few minutes ago so there might not so many bucks remaining. Also it's been cold and drizzling all day. Typically two weeks from yesterday they can shoot doe and fawns and it sounds like WW3 then.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7127 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I hope so. It’s overrun with deer where I am. Lots of Lyme’s disease come with em. As long as they use the meat, I have no problem with it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5364 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've never needed a second shot which is fortunate because I'm fairly sure I'd wouldn't have been able to get one off. The deer don't just stand there waiting for a second shot.

If you blink, you'll miss where they ran off to.

I shot one at 40 yards with a Hornady 45-70 that didn't expand. The entry and exit wounds were pretty much the same size, a clear path through both lungs, and clipped the top of the heart. It made it 50 yards into the woods.

Another one was 120 yards with a 140 grain 7mm Rem Mag. My dad asked me if I saw which way it went. I had to tell him it didn't go anywhere. There was a slight rise at about 100 yards, so the body laying on the ground at 120 yards was not visible. He didn't believe me, but after 10 minutes of waiting, we walked over and it was right there where I had shot it. Not to be gross, but the lungs were not identifiable as organs. There bits and pieces of lung tissue, but mostly goo. It was nice not having to drag it out of the swamp to the left or woods to the right.

Speaking to rapid fire follow up shots. My dad, brother, and I were hog hunting. I heard three shots, pow, pow, pow. Just like that. My dad called me figuring it was me with my M1 Garand because he figured there was no way my brother got off three shots like that with his Model 700 also in 30-06. It was my brother. He must have learned something in the Marine Corp. Wink

Posts: 11046 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whitetail Buck in my front yard a few years ago, far Northside of San Antonio

Posts: 1079 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Regarding multiple shots while hunting, one of the things I still remember that my father, an avid hunter, told me was in the form of a supposed old Indian saying:
“One shot, one deer. Two shots, maybe deer. Three shots, no deer.”
I’ve never been a big game hunter myself, but that has always struck me as probably usually being correct.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47423 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by hray:

It's a deer feeder.

How much bird seed will it hold?

All of it. The birds are really big. REALLY BIG. Big Grin

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Regarding multiple shots while hunting, one of the things I still remember that my father, an avid hunter, told me was in the form of a supposed old Indian saying:
I’ve never been a big game hunter myself, but that has always struck me as probably usually being correct.

I would agree with that 100%. When hunting and you hear one shot at the right time of day when you would expect to be taking the big game that everyone is hunting, that's usually a good connection. When you hear multiple shots in rapid succession, it means the shooter fucked up and is shooting irresponsibly or unsafely.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8729 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I would agree with that 100%. When hunting and you hear one shot at the right time of day when you would expect to be taking the big game that everyone is hunting, that's usually a good connection. When you hear multiple shots in rapid succession, it means the shooter fucked up and is shooting irresponsibly or unsafely.

Or they are killing more than one. Or they just missed. There's nothing inherently unsafe or irresponsible about shooting more than once. In fact, with wounded game, there's nothing more responsible than shooting again if you made a poor initial shot.

FWIW, I think a lot of shooters who don't hunt make a lot of generalizations about hunters and hunting when they don't know what they are talking about. I'm not saying that's you (your posts ITT prove that) or even anybody in this thread, necessarily.
Although my senses are tingling (as it seems yours were)...

FWIW, hunting deer over corn is legal in WV except in one very specific area (CWD containment area) and public lands. And I'm pretty sure it has ALWAYS been legal.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10506 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I hope so. It’s overrun with deer where I am. Lots of Lyme’s disease come with em. As long as they use the meat, I have no problem with it.

While there is a direct correlation between deer populations and tick populations, Lyme comes from the white footed mouse, not deer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5915 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

I got mine... no bait necessary.

I'm jealous. What a great set up, right from your deck.

For that kind of shooting I would bring my 7MM Rem Mag and spotting scope. That large grove of cedars makes it really sweet.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5060 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm jealous. What a great set up, right from your deck.

It is a great set up. It's not my deck, but it's my buddies deer stand. It's about 40' in the air on 6 telephone polls. It's awesome.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lyme comes from the white footed mouse, not deer.

NO it doesn't. Lyme disease is a bacterial disease. Lyme disease also has a complex lifecycle and it requires two sets of hosts. And in North America the most common second host is deer (there are certainly others less common in human interaction). It is conclusive that reducing deer populations dramatically reduces lyme risks. Reducing mouse populations does not. Shoot every deer is my motto or bring back the wolves (study in Finland showing wolves reducing the deer is just as good as hunting them)

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11023 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post