SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Gun deer shooting starts tomorrow, odds are my neighbor gets one. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7127 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Guess he can't shoot very far, eh?

Or maybe he can't walk too far either.

Posts: 7273 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Well maybe not. IF the couple weeks before the place was crawling with black powder hunters, or bowhunters, or, the hide was originally built in a place where deer don't frequent. But other than that, IF deer frequent that field and woodline, and those other factors are not significant, AND your neighbor is a good shot with a gun he knows, AND he doesn't suffer from doe or buck fever, AND he knows and sticks with his capabilities with said gun, then he has a 50% chance of success, other things being equal.

Just sayin. But good luck to him anyway.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8729 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Well, I had an 8 pointer settle in my yard, and 1 walk through my dad’s (1 mile away, max)..I’d say he has as good a chance as any, so long as he is out of town limits. I wish him luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5364 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Well maybe not. IF the couple weeks before the place was crawling with black powder hunters, or bowhunters, or, the hide was originally built in a place where deer don't frequent.....

No, the feeder is 100' in front of his hut, in his field, and no one other than he uses it.

Posts: 7127 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You guys are allowed to deer hunt over bait there? That's illegal as heck here. If you have a salt lick or bait station out, even the dirt it's sitting on has to be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area. If you get caught violating it it's a misdemeanor and the DNR can sieze your gun, atv, truck, etc...anything you used as part of your hunt.

Posts: 8705 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

What's exactly your point ? If you're experienced with big game you should be able to explain your point more clearly. Otherwise I suspect you may not understand what you think you're talking about.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8729 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You guys are allowed to deer hunt over bait there? That's illegal as heck here. If you have a salt lick or bait station out, even the dirt it's sitting on has to be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area. If you get caught violating it it's a misdemeanor and the DNR can sieze your gun, atv, truck, etc...anything you used as part of your hunt.

It's legal here in Louisiana. The deer have so many corn feeders they probably don't know which one to go to. And food plots all over the place.

Posts: 13024 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are allowed to deer hunt over bait there? That's illegal as heck here.....

It's illegal here too, but.....

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We are in the middle of rifle season here in Missouri. I've been out every day. Nothing wrong with your friend's set up. If he is out there every day he should have some shooting.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5060 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
100’? Looks like 20’ in the picture.

If everybody is doing it, it doesn’t really change you chances.

We sold our hunting property in northern MI. It was a good property until the non-hunting neighbors started leasing their land for hunting. The deer would sleep on the neighbors’ land, walk across the creek that formed the border, and feed on the food plots we planted. Not a single deer made it across the creek the first year the neighbors leased their land.

Posts: 11046 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

What's exactly your point ? If you're experienced with big game you should be able to explain your point more clearly. Otherwise I suspect you may not understand what you think you're talking about.

Look at the photo, wrightd... They set up a feeder about 15 feet from their stand.

Posts: 32574 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:

The corn is for squirrels. Any deer caught eating it will be killed.

Posts: 13748 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Smile LOL

posted Hide Post
Our season started this past Saturday. I Don't think the rut is in yet. Places we normally see scrapes and rubs by the dozen are nonexistent. The bucks aren't running yet, chasing does all over hell's half acre.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We are in the middle of rifle season here in Missouri. I've been out every day. Nothing wrong with your friend's set up. If he is out there every day he should have some shooting.

I got mine... no bait necessary.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I would say he's got a real good chance. I did, broke in my new Winny Model 70 270 FW a week ago

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1144 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Having started deer hunting in 1963, I know there are no guarantees. And that looks like a bird feeder to me.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1861 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Mrs. A. reported that she saw an 8 pointer in our neighbor's back yard yesterday, said she got within 10 feet and it barely looked at her. Of course, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in my county, so I'd have to run him down with a knife. Maybe hide in a tree and wait until he walks under it.

Posts: 6528 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
And that looks like a bird feeder to me.

It's a deer feeder.

https://www.amazon.com/Moultri...igital/dp/B01BE8J5Q6

Posts: 32574 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post