SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think this "hunter" will get a deer tomorrow? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Mrs. A. reported that she saw an 8 pointer in our neighbor's back yard yesterday, said she got within 10 feet and it barely looked at her. Of course, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in my county, so I'd have to run him down with a knife. Maybe hide in a tree and wait until he walks under it.

What county? Must be Arlington.
I've been deer hunting with my bro-in-law in Prince William County.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
And that looks like a bird feeder to me.

It's a deer feeder.

it's a

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hray,

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1144 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right. It's 2023. Anyone or anything can choose to identify as a bird feeder.

(And technically, a deer feeder usually happens to also be an inadvertent bird feeder. And squirrel feeder. And possum feeder. And...)

Posts: 32575 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
LOL Smile

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1144 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The description for that feeder says it’s a collapsible 5-gallon bucket.

[Mick Dundee] That’s not a deer feeder. This, 55-gallon drum feeder, is a deer feeder.[/Mick Dundee]

Posts: 11046 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Our youth season was this past weekend in Ohio. I heard there was a record number taken. Ohio requires a straight wall cartridge rifle. The 350 legend In the ar platform has been the gun of choice.
The bow hunters broke records twice in October. The new record is a 10 point with a 32 inch spread..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:

Ohio requires a straight wall cartridge rifle.

Did that change? My Dad used to go to Ohio to hunt like 15-20 years ago and he was only allowed to use a shotgun/slug for deer there. Too flat and open I was told for a rifle.

Posts: 33914 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You guys are allowed to deer hunt over bait there? That's illegal as heck here. If you have a salt lick or bait station out, even the dirt it's sitting on has to be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area. If you get caught violating it it's a misdemeanor and the DNR can sieze your gun, atv, truck, etc...anything you used as part of your hunt.

this is humorous, reading your location.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10505 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:

It's a deer feeder.

How much bird seed will it hold?

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1861 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs. A. reported that she saw an 8 pointer in our neighbor's back yard yesterday, said she got within 10 feet and it barely looked at her. Of course, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in my county, so I'd have to run him down with a knife. Maybe hide in a tree and wait until he walks under it.

Rambo, John J?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12673 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
You guys are allowed to deer hunt over bait there? That's illegal as heck here. If you have a salt lick or bait station out, even the dirt it's sitting on has to be removed 10 days prior to hunting the area. If you get caught violating it it's a misdemeanor and the DNR can sieze your gun, atv, truck, etc...anything you used as part of your hunt.

LOL, true! We are literally surrounded by corn and bean fields, and I just drove by a herd of about 30 deer and a flock of about 50 turkeys on my way home from the range today. The corn is mostly cut now, so you can see a long way.

Actually, food plots are legal here...so if you grow it in the ground you can hunt over it, but setting out bait is illegal. It's not really the same as baiting. All of the guys I know who do food plots are pretty serious hunters who try to manage "their" deer herd year-round and the food plots are primarily to encourage the deer to live on their property. Plots by their nature cover a larger area (most of my buddies plant several acres) and don't really draw the deer right under your stand like a bait bucket would.

Posts: 8708 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54738 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Guess he can't shoot very far, eh?

Or maybe he can't walk too far either.

What's exactly your point ? If you're experienced with big game you should be able to explain your point more clearly. Otherwise I suspect you may not understand what you think you're talking about.

Look at the photo, wrightd... They set up a feeder about 15 feet from their stand.

Oh, I see it now. So again, if your goal is to eat venison, esp if you have lots of deer, then a short shot equals a clean kill. So do you think it would be better to move the bait station back to 100 yds, or 200 yds, or 1000 yds ? At what distance is best for a clean kill for a meat hunter ? I get the humor, ok, yes it's sort of obvious there's not much sport or room for fair chase. But if you're going beyond humor, please state your case.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8729 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say he's got a real good chance. I did, broke in my new Winny Model 70 270 FW a week ago

That's a beauty right there. Very nice congrats !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8729 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:

It's a deer feeder.

How much bird seed will it hold?

Oh. I say about a half bag giv or take.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wrightd

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

posted Hide Post
quote:

Please have your wife video it for us.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
That's a beauty right there. Very nice congrats !

Great rack for such a young deer.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

LOL, true! We are literally surrounded by corn and bean fields, and I just drove by a herd of about 30 deer and a flock of about 50 turkeys on my way home from the range today. The corn is mostly cut now, so you can see a long way.

Actually, food plots are legal here...so if you grow it in the ground you can hunt over it, but setting out bait is illegal. It's not really the same as baiting. All of the guys I know who do food plots are pretty serious hunters who try to manage "their" deer herd year-round and the food plots are primarily to encourage the deer to live on their property. Plots by their nature cover a larger area (most of my buddies plant several acres) and don't really draw the deer right under your stand like a bait bucket would.

People think putting bait near your stand guarantees something. That’s far from the truth. The only difference in planting it and growing it vs putting it out in a feeder is your time and money. Early in the season the does eat the corn but mostly at night. Bucks hardly touch it. Once acorns start dropping, they don’t visit bait much anyways. But not everyone has acorns.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10505 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's been a few days now.

Did he get one?

Posts: 11046 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post