SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Specialty Tools
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specialty Tools Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Klein Tools 935DAG Digital Electronic Level and Angle Gauge, Measures 0 - 90 and 0 - 180 Degree Ranges, Measures and Sets Angles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z...VPTXBMCA9R3BVG9TK1AW

This digital level and angle gauge gets high praise.

Set it atop a shelf or picture frame and read off the level without having to get directly in front of and squint at a bubble. And, with a bubble, you are really never sure if you get the bubble directly in between the two indicator marks.

You can zero it off against a surface and measure angles off of the surface. This is good for setting square for table saws, circular saws and etc, but also good for setting precise angles on bevels.

I have one similar, normally sold to verify table saw blade angles. I used it to set camber on front end alignment on my ‘57. That and a piece of square tube clamped to the wheel.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A right angle drill attachment. About 20 bucks, worth it when needed.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stanley Adjustable Demo Wrench. Its a hammer, a large adjustable wrench and a short pry bar, all wrapped up together in one handy package. Beside my driver seat right now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Klein Tools 935DAG Digital Electronic Level and Angle Gauge, Measures 0 - 90 and 0 - 180 Degree Ranges, Measures and Sets Angles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z...VPTXBMCA9R3BVG9TK1AW

This digital level and angle gauge gets high praise.

Set it atop a shelf or picture frame and read off the level without having to get directly in front of and squint at a bubble. And, with a bubble, you are really never sure if you get the bubble directly in between the two indicator marks.

You can zero it off against a surface and measure angles off of the surface. This is good for setting square for table saws, circular saws and etc, but also good for setting precise angles on bevels.

I have one similar, normally sold to verify table saw blade angles. I used it to set camber on front end alignment on my ‘57. That and a piece of square tube clamped to the wheel.

Exactly. An old-timer at the local Rockler Woodworking shop was telling me that using a digital angle gauge is now the preferred way to set zero on table saws. Logged that away in the, "Huh, nice to know..." part of my brain.

Then one day I saw the Klein angle gauge as a new item at Home Depot. Reputable brand, reasonably priced compared to the wood working specific ones, figured what the hell... But turns out I like it for hanging pictures and the like too.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve used this puppy so many times it’s not funny. Love it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DE...7fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Peterson wave rake in .025” and medium hook in .018”

Multi-pic is good too (German)

Lock Picking Lawyer, is that you? Haha.

Wink

I wish I was that talented, but I do ok … Smile

I am tempted to pick up his latest offerings, however I have such a collection of picks it’s kind of silly… A lot like guns and knives. LoL

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Had a pair of safety wire pliers- called mousing pliers when I was in the service. Had them for about 20 years, during my last move they disappeared. I don’t work on guns/machine guys/cannons requiring mousing anymore, so it’s not a big deal-but I’d had them since 1990.

My other specialty tool is the armorers wrench for the M16. Now I have had this one since 1990.

I still have a staking tool I got back them too. It’s for staking front sights on the 1911 and I also used it for staking shell latches on the Remington 870.

I was a Crew Chief on a Medivac Huey in the early 80's. We were not allowed to use the safety wire pliers as they can compromise the safety wire and it can break. We did everything by hand and it hurt like hell. Race car, no big deal. Aircraft, no way.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, just ordered the Klein digital level.
About the cheapest thing SF has ever encouraged me to buy.

Posts: 18009 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't have one of these yet, a friend alerted me to it. I'll be ordering one. It's a 12 volt test light, actually a 3-48 volt, (everybody should have one) that has a built in digital display to read voltage, and it also indicates reverse polarity.

I'm getting a retirement camper next year and one of these will definitely be in my toolbox instead of my old fashioned yet reliable one.

This is a Lisle brand, they've been around forever. You can get a cheaper one, if you wish.

Link to Lisle 12 volt test lamp

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I don't have one of these yet, a friend alerted me to it. I'll be ordering one. It's a 12 volt test light, actually a 3-48 volt, (everybody should have one) that has a built in digital display to read voltage, and it also indicates reverse polarity.

I'm getting a retirement camper next year and one of these will definitely be in my toolbox instead of my old fashioned yet reliable one.

This is a Lisle brand, they've been around forever. You can get a cheaper one, if you wish.

What's the benefit of a test lamp over a multimeter?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NapoleonSolo:

I was a Crew Chief on a Medivac Huey in the early 80's. We were not allowed to use the safety wire pliers as they can compromise the safety wire and it can break. We did everything by hand and it hurt like hell. Race car, no big deal. Aircraft, no way.

Ohh trust me, I’ve sacrificed plenty of blood to the gun gods because of lock wire. Thank goodness I was 150 pounds and skinny when I worked on the 76mm gun…I could literally slide between the gun and the shield and lock wire the breechbloock bolts while I could see them….many others had to do it blind.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:

We use the power probe for 12 Vdc and 24 vdc automobiles and generators. You can also supply ground or pos power to test circuit, components or relays

Power probe

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
For all the Digital Camera owners this it really helpful for sensor dust cleaning.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...qYVQ4xAaAsU6EALw_wcB

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I purchased a pair of double jointed needle nose pliers. A buddy who is a master plumber saw them and purchased a pair himself. He uses them all the time now and quite frequently for pulling
small items out of people's disposals.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I bought a Chapman Mfg screwdriver kit due to a post on this forum.

https://chapmanmfg.com/

Also working on my ARs, having the right tools makes assembling so much easier:
Geissele Reaction Rod, Gas Block Roll Pin Tool & Gas Block Pin Punch Set.

SLR Gas Block Dimple Jig

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KNIPEX (AGAIN). Electrical Installation Pliers. Can use as regular needle nose pliers or cut/strip wires and do electrical things.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Peterson wave rake in .025” and medium hook in .018”

Multi-pic is good too (German)

Lock Picking Lawyer, is that you? Haha.

I have one of these in my pocket most of the time.

(Pin ejector for SFIC locks.)

As well as a pair of folding picks.

Posts: 21043 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What's the benefit of a test lamp over a multimeter?

Good question, there are many times/situations when a test lamp does a faster and better job.

For example, automobiles and trucks etc are on the 12 volt system with lots and lots of fuses.
Simply clip the end onto any metal ground and then you can blaze through checking for blown fuses very quickly and accurately. Same thing with relays and connectors, stuff like that. In other words you can trace the flow of electricity until it stops, then you know where the problem is.

BTW if you're trying to diagnose why a fuse keeps blowing, you can get an equivalent amp circuit breaker, auto or manual resetting, and wire it into a wire with jumpers on the end. Sure beats running out of all of your fuses while you figure out why and what.

The test lamp has a sharp metal point that is able to pierce wiring for testing, or maybe wiggle into a connector without struggling to disconnect everything.

You don't "need" the one that has the built in volt meter, but it's pretty darn handy when you need that function.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The test lamp has a sharp metal point that is able to pierce wiring for testing, or maybe wiggle into a connector without struggling to disconnect everything.

Ugh.. Pokey Mctestlight has caused me more grief than I care to think about.
Breaking the insulation is a great spot to start growing a green patch and breaking the circuit later on.
Or spreading the sockets in a plug and wrecking it.

I have back probes and sets of different pin and socket test leads.
Lets you check pin tension as well to see if someone has jammed a test light in it.

I finally upgraded my old Fluke meter for a nifty Snap-On one, I have it synced to my phone so I can move to different areas and see what's going on without dragging 10' of test leads around.
Pretty handy for shaking down a harness looking for an intermittent short.

I do have quite a few Blue Moon tools.
I think I spent $80 on a set of hose clamp pliers that I only needed once.
Lots of stuff like that and that's just home tools.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The up side of the test light is it's cheap and you can leave one in every tool box / vehicle. It's not a replacement for a meter for sure, but most of the time it's enough.

Posts: 21043 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post