SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have one and enjoy it but it's not a daily driver.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
2012 Wrangler Sport 2door here, purchased August 2012. Presently 68k on it.
3.21 axle ratio, 265/70/17 tires, automatic transmission.

No mpg complaints here. Yesterday back roads to Ann Arbor and back, another trip twelve miles last night. Average mpg shown was 19.8, that figure from what I have calculated in the past is pretty close to correct from the factory gauges. Some city driving, most open roads, 45-55 posted limits. Best I ever got on a trip was up north on I-75, averaged 22.2 mpg at 70-80 with the A/C on.

Chrysler quality is no worse than GM in my opinion. 47 years as a GM dealership parts counterman.

Update, 78k on it now. No problems other than an intermittent remote start inoperative that I may have tracked down the problem with. Oxidized left door connector, the door latch internal switch is tied into the remote starter system.

Only other negative is that I seem to average one windshield replacement per year up here. Such a flat surface and roadway debris do not play well together......fortunately I have zero deductible for glass replacement.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Only other negative is that I seem to average one windshield replacement per year up here. Such a flat surface and roadway debris do not play well together......fortunately I have zero deductible for glass replacement.

I've replaced the windshield on my 2014 Rubi' six times now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got me beat, on the 7th since August 2012........

The one previous to this one, that one went ONE WEEK before it got a bull's eye. I didn't have the heart to get it replaced so I had the glass shop do a repair. That one almost to the day one year before it took another one dead nuts in front of me, that was a silver dollar sized wound.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Every time the Jeep took a hit, my wife was driving.

Must just be a coincidence. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys might want to note that he made the decision not to buy one and posted it last year in, I think, September.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I've seen you post here a lot. I know you are smart enough to believe in the coincidence theory.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I've seen you post here a lot. I know you are smart enough to believe in the coincidence theory.

Oh indeed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Every douche has a Jeep.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You posted this thread.

It tells me your gut instinct is to not buy a Jeep.

If that isn't your gut instinct, I'm not convinced.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JEEP
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Every douche has a Jeep.

Sarcasm? I have one and I think I’m a nice guy.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
11 months ago to the day the OP posted:

quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Update is I'm keeping my F-150 and my wife just upgraded her 4Runner to a new 4Runner.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4590011134

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Went car shopping a couple of weeks ago. Liked the looks of them but just couldn't get past the fact it's a Chrysler product and couldn't do it. Every Chrysler product I've owned just seemed cheap. Bought a Toyota Highlander instead.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm considering a new Jeep to use as a "nice weather driver". Does anyone have a new Gladiator?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but if you test a Wrangler and the salesperson suggests you try the 2.0 Turbo say thanks but no thanks. At least my opinion FWIW the engine is too peaky for off road and the A.T. coupled to it leaves a lot to be desired.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Buying a Jeep (which I no longer own) was one of the worst decisions I ever made.

And yes I would do it again.

Roof QFT cropped med by kpkina, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
How is the AC (when the top is on)? I've had a few Chrysler vehicles over the years and the worst part was the AC (custom van and PT Cruiser).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
How is the AC (when the top is on)? I've had a few Chrysler vehicles over the years and the worst part was the AC (custom van and PT Cruiser).

I think the AC is pretty damn good. Better than the AC in my Tahoe.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
my AC is as perfect as any I've had, including Mercedes 300 turbo diesel a few decades back. The heater can run you out even with the (hard) roof panel off. I've been elated Jeep has done so well in tending to such a necessary comfort. I've had Old Jeeps with vacuum (non) wipers & a host of other frailties and poor design. The 2 JKs I've had are light years ahead of my previous models.

My 'new' 2015 JK had to go in for it's actual first real warranty repair at 47000 miles. A rear axle seal was beginning to leak.

And I did my first actual non-standard oil/filters maintenance: drain/new lube in differentials. My bill: Under $91 for both ends.

I've had no 'issues' and no 'lost days of in-service' and no 'hell/fury to Chrysler'. It serves me well as daily driver. Chrysler products have always treated me well, from my 64 Dart onward.

Ford cars, on the other hand, give me trouble the second I drive them off the lot, regardless of how new they may be. Ford trucks seem to work well for me though.

I'm glad we have ample choices here, as if we all had to settle on (caliber X)it would be far less entertaining.

And while seeking guiding comments from experienced users of a certain model, our own luck may be totally opposite. I count myself fortunate to have somehow missed the misery of so many others, yet have not explanation.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post