SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Wrangler, but have rented them frequently when out to Sedona. From extreme personal preference, and sad personal experience on Cliffhanger, the Rubicon would not disappoint.

My cousin had one, and on a 500 mile trip to D.C. I was not disappointed in the least, but it was a hardtop.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The only new problem with my '12 Wrangler is my radio. 130 series base radio with Sirius loses AM and FM, Sirius, CD and Auxillary input all fine. Found this is a pretty common problem with the Siemens built radio due to poor solder joints.

These radios are an exchange item through Chrysler dealers, about 3-400 dollars depending on the dealership. I found on one of the Jeep forums a 430 series Jeep radio with Navigation, plug and play for a little less than the low figure from the dealer. It's in the mail to me at present.

Aftermarket Pioneer unit was the choice until I found this factory radio and finding out contrary to what the dealer said this was a plug and play upgrade. I really liked the Pioneer but both the local aftermarket retailers/installers I spoke to did not give me confidence that they would do a good clean problem free installation.

In fact the first one told me while standing next to the unit on display that I did not need a Sirius add on unit despite the label on it specifically stating it did. Second one was more concerned in getting me over the thousand dollar mark for the radio and installation with "extras" that I said I did not want like a subwoofer.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I'm considering a new Jeep to use as a "nice weather driver". Does anyone have a new Gladiator?

I’ve ordered one and should have it later this week or next...

I’m working with a dealer in NC that is giving great deals. If you end up wanting to get one PM me for details.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I'm considering a new Jeep to use as a "nice weather driver". Does anyone have a new Gladiator?

I’ve ordered one and should have it later this week or next...

I’m working with a dealer in NC that is giving great deals. If you end up wanting to get one PM me for details.

Sent you an email.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We went & test drove a new-old-stock 2018 Sport S JLU over the weekend.
My wife was a bit impartial to it & found it a downgrade to her '13 Flex SEL.
I loved it, the 2.0T had a surprising amount of pick-up to it, it rode pretty comfortably, for a truck, on the short test-drive we took.

Ultimately, it was a bit of a 'get you in the door' pricing. Dealer has a few 2018s at what appear to be deep (~40-45% off) discounts.
Turns out, they're 3 year lease pricing, so when compared to a typical 60-72mo finance, you end up in about the same price-range.

Finance deals were around $4k off sticker, for what is effectively a 2 model year old vehicle.

Similar lease deals were not available on the 19/20MY JLs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Why on Earth would anyone want a clutch? The autos out perform them in every conceivable way.[/QUOTMy first thought too.
E]

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
It would be my daily driver. It would also be the means to get off road into BLM land where we shoot, hunt and fish. It would also be the means going off road on the trails around Sedona that we tend to frequent. It would be my primary vehicle, the wife currently has her own.

I currently drive a 2015 F-150 Supercrew with the FX-4 package, leveled with 33" All Terrains on it. It's gone everywhere and done everything I've ever asked of it and been comfortable as well.

There's also the fun factor to the Jeep. I miss driving a manual. Taking the top off 9 months out of the year here. All kinds of options for bolting on pieces and parts to make it my own. It's also one of those bucket list things that I've always wanted to own.

But then I think if I had the Jeep, would I absolutely dread the thought of loading up the family and archery equipment and driving 10 hours to Salt Lake City for a tournament?

I have 2008 JKU that is my daily driver; I also use it off-road to maintain horse riding trails. Gas mileage is between 15-20 mpg (median is 17-18mpg as a daily driver, 35-mile commute, one-way and gas-up about every 7 days)

I love my Jeep--my wife doesn't. It has 150K miles, on it's 3rd transmission (2d from Jasper); also on it's 3rd windshield and 3rd set of tires. It's a fun driver, but Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket...

I do plan on adding a lift with heavier-duty shocks and slightly larger tires.

from what you describe, a JKU would work for you.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2017 JKU Rubicon is still stock. May add a hard top in a couple of years, but for now I’m just enjoying driving it. 6 speed manual for me. Never liked Jeep’s automatic transmissions

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Why on Earth would anyone want a clutch? The autos out perform them in every conceivable way.

Because Manual Transmission are 100% good Feng Shui and pile lots and lots of Positive Kharma on the driver. In addition a manual transmission allows you to have complete and total control of your gear selection. If you see a passing opportunity for a nice clean pass on a two lane country road you can go straight from 6th to 3rd with one quick movement of the shifter. Finally because driving a Manual is FUN.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I'm not the best person to ask this question. While I vehemently dislike Dodge/Chrysler and feel they are incapable of making a good auto transmission...

Don’t know where your information comes from. Actually, they make, arguably, one of the best 8-speed automatic transmissions available...and have for a number of years.

Just to kick the dead horse, as for my 2017 JKUL Rubicon Recon, I smile every time I get in the saddle. It’s a blast to own and everyone who rides in it find it more comfortable than they expect. 6 speed manual. Premium Soft-top. Rhino.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
2018 JK Sahara 4dr Wrangler auto bone stock that's a fun ride. Still kept my 08 Ridgeline and 11 TSX wagon. Wife drives a Sienna awd mini van. I love the Jeep for sporting around and waving at other Wranglers.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
For those that just cannot get enough performance of the somewhat lackluster performance of the Pentastar motors, go "Bully-Dog" programmers. That works!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Love my 2018 JKU. 35,000ish miles, doors off/top down for every possible one of them. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

6 speed manual. Only things left I really want to do are a leveling kit and some 34" tires.

And some flat fenders.

And a nice front bumper.

And a wench.

And pull the rest of the carpet and rhino line it.

And put in a ham radio.

And switch my steps to some rock rails.

Maybe that's it Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell us more about the wench when you get a chance Chongo Smile

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Love my 2018 JKU. 35,000ish miles, doors off/top down for every possible one of them. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

6 speed manual. Only things left I really want to do are a leveling kit and some 34" tires.

And some flat fenders.

And a nice front bumper.

And a wench.

And pull the rest of the carpet and rhino line it.

And put in a ham radio.

And switch my steps to some rock rails.

Maybe that's it Big Grin

I'd get a winch to.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you decide, drive it on the highway at 75 mph for 20 minutes, then decide.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My 2015 JK has the 285hp V6. Seems to have plenty of go-power, and I cruise the Idaho/Montana often enough to recognize that it will cruise at a higher speed than I want to go anyway, and "65" is plenty comfortable for my travels.

I recently saw the various 'important numbers' side by side, between the Pentastar engine Jeep and the actual muscle cars of decades past. JK was something like 0.3 seconds slower to 60mph, and something under 2 seconds slower thru the 1/4. What's the point? This is where CR often jams in the lack of essential cup holders. Right.

The basic flying brick shape suggests better aerodynamics become ever more important the further above 60mph or so, and gas mileage drops off the faster you drive a JK.

That mine will actually go faster than 80mph is of little advantage. Although the sleek SUV styles with the Hemi V8 have impressive numbers on the pavement.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Anchorage, Alaska, huh? Jeep is what you need, for sure.
I have owned two Grand Wagoneers and they were truly a 4WD. Wonderful on ice and snow.
I have owned an old-style Cherokee. They are extremely top-heavy and dangerous. I believe that Jeep has corrected THAT problem.
I now drive a Jeep Compass and get 30 mpg. It is a good commuter.
You should not be afraid of the Grand Wagoneer. The 4WD is dependable and proven over the decades.
If you are wanting to go off road, I would get an old CJ-6 or an old Toyota FJ-40.
Ford? Chevy? Nah.
Foreign rice burner? That's Un-American.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Tell us more about the wench when you get a chance Chongo Smile

Ha! She's grilling me a steak right now Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post