SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of or into something stupid, a Jeep Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I had a 92 Wrangler. It was bouncy and snappy on slick roads. The I6 could barely handle moving the small truck on 31" tires. On the highway it sqeaked and made all kinds of wind noise and could easily be blown around by sudden gusts.

But it was the balls.

Everyone thought it was badass, and it was. Drive it around with the top and doors off, like you stole it. Get rained on. Feel alive, and know you can drive it on or over anything.

I hate the four-door ones, may as well get a 4Runner.

My 09 Tacoma is better in every way. I sacrifice the ability to turn it into a naked runabout, but it is more civilized and every bit as capable. Food for thought.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
ITS EVERYTHING A CAR IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!! I say this as I GRIN!! I miss my 2013 Moab....... wish I hadn't sold it. I DO love my 2017 Toyota 4Runner"TRD PRO" though. Its more "car" than the Jeep.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
Any updates???? I'd offer my opinion on what you should do, but it would be severely biased!!

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
All this talk about the engine and transmission. They've been changing them for decades. They behave differently with each combination. In 2012 they moved up to the Mercedes V6 that puts out 285 horses. It changed the whole vehicle. Mine requires some maintenance. Like oil changes.

For those claiming the thing is slow, go out and test drive one of the new ones. Then come back and tell us how slow they are. My 2012 now has over 88,000 miles on it. Needs tires again. Shit happens.

I have a 2016 out in the garage with the door slammed on it. Yes, its a 2 door and works just fine.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update is I'm keeping my F-150 and my wife just upgraded her 4Runner to a new 4Runner.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4590011134

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

For those claiming the thing is slow, go out and test drive one of the new ones. Then come back and tell us how slow they are. My 2012 now has over 88,000 miles on it. Needs tires again. Shit happens.

I owned a 285 hp JKU Rubicon with 4.10s, and yes the thing was slow. Godaweful slow in a manner that makes merging from a stop scary. It’s still a great vehicle, it just isn’t a sports car.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My son and i absolutely love our new JKUR RECON. Can’t remember the last time I had this much fun with a new vehicle....I get a smile every time I sit down and turn the key.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Aw man, you're missing out on some sweet jeep waves right now.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Update is I'm keeping my F-150 and my wife just upgraded her 4Runner to a new 4Runner.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4590011134

You did the right thing! Trust me.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
My 95YJ. Not a daily driver but I enjoying backroading with my wife. Id suggest buying an older Jeep for cruising but keep the truck.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive in a old willy’s Jeep 4x4, at 50 mph it sounded like it was going to blow, ride was rough, many times my head bounced off the roof when going down a bumpy road.
Wife drove jeeps (Cherokee, grand Cherokee) for years so she could have 4x4 when she went to her fathers farm. First 3 no real problems, poor gas mileage. The last grand Cherokee was a real dog, ate brake rotors for breakfast (stopping was like riding a horse-bucking bronco) several rotors replaced under warranty, when warranty ran out went to after market and the problem was solved. Got rear ended at less than 5 mpg, didn’t even dent the bumper, drivers seat broke. Driving in town, suddenly no go, transmission took a dump. Now she drives Subaru’s, not 4x4 drive but awe. Her first Subie went over 200,000 miles before we traded it in on a newer model. No more jeeps for us!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about getting stupid myself....

1981 Jeep Renegade

https://stlouis.craigslist.org...gade/6682160963.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
^^^ With a 1981 version you're at least limiting the amount of stupid. Cool It's a good looking Jeep!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Instead of nickel and diming all of the upgrades you will certainly do, why not just jump in and get an AEV conversion? Smile

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I went and looked at the jeep. It was pretty rough. I passed on it. I'd like one between 1981-1985 but if it's in decent shape they are fetching a lot of money.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I'm thinking about getting stupid myself....

1981 Jeep Renegade

https://stlouis.craigslist.org...gade/6682160963.html

$1200.00 Price for real???

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
$1200.00 Price for real???

For real. I had the money in my pocket when I went to look at it. If it was decent, I would have bought it. No windshield. No top. Lots of putty in the body. Bad paint job. Lots of rust underneath. Ran poorly... but probably salvageable motor. Interior trashed.
It would be OK for a farm vehicle.

-rduckwor

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am not a Jeep guy. But some of yours look great. Especially the older ones. If you like to wrench I would consider it. If you pay someone else to do it I would be very hesitant.

I am a Toyota guy, so my gen 2 yota 4wd xtra cab fits the bill nicely. And as far as a manual tranny. Only those who don't have one would say they don't have anything over an auto. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Jeep was a '71 CJ-5 which I purchased in '73. A friend of mine told me the happiest days in a Jeep Owners life are the day it is bought and the day it is old. They will go a lot of places, but they are not quiet. I became a better mechanic after owning the CJ. Good Luck!

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
I can’t talk you out of it seeing I just bought a 2018 Sahara unlimited.

Buy it, take the top off and enjoy it.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post