SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Second officer removed for alleged improper relationship with female colleague on scandal-hit submarine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second officer removed for alleged improper relationship with female colleague on scandal-hit submarine Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
A scandal over conduct on a Royal Navy nuclear submarine has widened after it was disclosed that a second officer was also removed for an alleged improper relationship with a female colleague.

The submarine’s commander and his second-in-command were last week both taken off HMS Vigilant while Navy chiefs investigate the claims.

Cdr Stuart Armstrong, the boat’s commander, was earlier this week revealed to have been relieved of his duties after allegations his relationship with a female subordinate was “closer than it should have been”.

But the Telegraph understands that his right-hand-man, the submarine’s Executive Officer, was removed at the same time amid allegations of a separate improper relationship with a different female subordinate. The Executive Officer has not been named.

Naval sources said the removal of the top two officers from a vessel was “highly unusual”.

As the allegations surfaced, two senior officers in the Submarine Service are understood to have flown from the naval base at Faslane to America, where the boat was deployed, to deal with the fallout.

It’s not a question of women on submarines or warships, it’s a question of standards
Naval source
A source familiar with the investigation said Naval chiefs were furious with the alleged breach of discipline in the secretive Submarine Service and deeply embarrassed that the situation had become public.

Relationships within the same command chain are banned onboard submarines and warships for fear they will lead to favouritism that undermines discipline and orders.

Relationships outside the same chain of command are allowed, but there is a strict “no touching” rule during deployments.

The incident comes only six years after the government removed a ban on women serving on submarines.

One Naval source familiar with the investigation said: “It’s not a question of women on submarines or warships, it’s a question of standards.”

Another Naval source said the men had been removed as a precaution “without prejudice” while the investigation continued.

They are believed to face a “full range” of possible punishments if they are found to be guilty of any wrongdoing.

HMS Vigilant is one of four Vanguard Class submarines armed with Trident nuclear missiles as part of Britain’s deterrent.

She was not on a nuclear deterrent patrol at the time of the alleged conduct and was visiting America. Vanguard Class submarines have a complement of 135 including 14 officers and spend months on top secret missions patrolling beneath the waves of the North Atlantic to maintain the nation’s deterrent.

Cdr Armstrong, from Helensburgh near Glasgow, took command of the boat in February.

A Royal Navy biography says the 41-year-old was previously involved in cruise missile strikes and reconnaissance against Libyan regime forces from HMS Triumphant during the 2011 campaign to oust Col Muammar Gaddafi.

A Royal Navy spokesman said the incident had not affected submarine operations. He said: “We can confirm an investigation is underway, but it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage. Any allegations of wrongdoing are taken very seriously and will be dealt with appropriately.”

The incident comes only three years after the first female commander of a warship was stripped of her command following claims she had a relationship with her married third-in-command. Cdr Sarah West, 41, was removed from command of the frigate HMS Portland in August 2014. LINK

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, putting women on submarines is a fantastic idea. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

What else do we have to take off the submarines because the leaders can't be trusted around them? Money, guns, other people's belongings, etc.

If the leader can't follow the rules then they can't follow the rules. I'm not saying it's easy but you can either control your impulses or you can't.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:

If the leader can't follow the rules then they can't follow the rules. I'm not saying it's easy but you can either control your impulses or you can't.

Exactly. I am not a fan of pushing females into 'combat positions,' but this is a standards issue; not a gender issue.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What else do we have to take off the submarines because the leaders can't be trusted around them? Money, guns, other people's belongings, etc.

Wish it were that simple.

You're familiar with the homily about the only things in life that are certain are death and taxes? Well for unknown reasons it left out the third certain thing: people are going to fuck.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You ever work on a ship for months at a time?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Exactly. I am not a fan of pushing females into 'combat positions,' but this is a standards issue; not a gender issue.

It's both.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I haven't but I don't consider my integrity to be situationally dependent either. If I tell you I'm not going to dip my pen in company ink then that's my statement. There is no asterisk to that statement that adds "unless it gets really tough then screw it".

I'm also not arrogant enough that when I do have a human moment and don't meet the standard that I've set for myself to blame the temptation. If I take a cookie during my diet it's not the cookies fault.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's not like there isn't fucking going on when there are no women on board.

This is a fucking your coworkers problem, not a women on board problem.

And no rules on Earth are going to stop people in close quarters from occasionally fucking.

It no doubt happens on every big job, ship, sub, project, or otherwise.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I haven't but I don't consider my integrity to be situationally dependent either. If I tell you I'm not going to dip my pen in company ink then that's my statement. There is no asterisk to that statement that adds "unless it gets really tough then screw it".

I'm also not arrogant enough that when I do have a human moment and don't meet the standard that I've set for myself to blame the temptation. If I take a cookie during my diet it's not the cookies fault.

To put women on a submarine and not think that it would create this very problem and not disrupt operations is beyond naive.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Men and women inside a coffin for months. Nothing could possibly happen. Nah.

Q

Posts: 26409 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Coed ships lead to problems.

Doesn’t matter what or how big the ship is.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

You know this how?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-xZ4gz4MM

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38684 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s not a question of women on submarines or warships

There's been successful warships a lot longer than there's been mixed crews.

It's War and it has 1 purpose. Not everyone gets to play.

In the perfect world this would be ok. But we're dealing with people and they're flawed. Some people can go to work and not screw their coworkers, others are not so disciplined. All of you must have experienced dysfunctional work environments due to bad personal behavior. These are the same people who make up our military.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Coed ships lead to problems.

Doesn’t matter what or how big the ship is.

No different than foxholes.

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Yes I have. And I managed to not have sex with anyone.

It's all a matter of morals. I saw plenty of people who were screwing on the ship and in port, and then go home to their spouses and families.

It was really pretty disgusting.

I would say less than 5% of the crew were making headlines, while 95% of the crew continued working the mission.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

You know this how?

Probability and statistics.

Been on ships for months at a time and there was shit going on from O to E, Male to Female, and I have no doubt same gender. All it takes is eyes to know what is going on.

To me the issue is the leadership was getting involved.

I'm just amazed how many men are slaves to their cocks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I'm just amazed how many men are slaves to their cocks.

It has been ever thus.

As I pointed out barely a week ago, “Temptation is a woman's weapon and man's excuse." -- H. L. Mencken

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think everyone should be able to agree that at the very least it is an unnecessary complication in a warship.

It is also an unnecessary complication in combat.

No I am not talking about "gender" I am talking about males and females serving together. The military is not or should not be a social experiment.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post