SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Toys:

12" Adventure Team GI Joes
8" Mego Super Heroes
Micronauts
Marx Big Wheels

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rexall Drug Stores

The affordable Cox model powered planes

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Woolworth's was the place to eat. A chocolate milk shake and a burger and I bet it wasn't over a buck.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Olson for Folgers Coffee.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sambo's restaurants (just the original still open, some others renamed)
White Tower hamburgers (I understand there is still ONE open in Toledo, Ohio)

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who cannot recall Mrs. Olson. Back when a woman' worth and self esteem were based on making good coffee, not sammiches.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Nickel candy bars.
Dime movies on Saturday mornings: Frances Joins the Army, Martin and Lewis, Huntz Hall and the Bowery Boys.
TV came much later: Sky King, the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Lassie.
7-ounce Coke bottles, collected by the side of the road to buy those nickel candy bars: Cowboy.
Radio Shack; Lafayette Radio stores.
Radio shop class in high school.
16 mm movie projectors (guess who was the high school AV monitor?).

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Teletype terminals and punched tape.
Control Data Corporation and their mainframes.
Disk packs with removable cover and mounting handle.
Disk drives for the above, roughly the size of a dishwasher.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kodachrome in metal film canisters with screw on tops

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cross your heart bra commercials.

woolworths, s.s. kresge's, Monkey Ward circa 1955

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Lot's of people mention gun stores but how about stores that sold a 12 year old boy a Sweet Sixteen for $25 down and the remaining $125 financed at $5 a month or two years later another store selling a 14 yr old a new Browning Hi Power with extra mag for $85 with $75 of it financed for a year and both transactions not having an adult co-signing for gun or loan.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I spent the first 6-ish years of life in Shreveport, LA before we moved away and I started 1st grade. So I don't know if this show was just local to Shreveport or not, but I remember watching a children's program called "Romper Room". I remember the lady looking "through" her hand-held mirror at the end of the show and saying goodbye to Jimmy, Susie, Sally, Johnny, Rebecca, Floyd, Andy, Betty, etc., etc. Bitch NEVER said my name...

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
No it was syndicated. It aired in the Chicago market as well. It was better than Ding Dong school on educational TV with Miss Frances.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Soda and Beer in cans that didn't have pop tops. You had to open them with a can & bottle opener that cut a triangular hole in the top and pushed that flap inside.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctors who made house calls
Ice cream sold in gallon containers
16 ounce Coke in glass bottler
Crosley Field in Cincinnati
Municipal Stadium in Cleveland
The Browns actually being good
Hearing Whip-or-wills at dusk
Hearing Quail calls
A&W Root Beer stands

Posts: 1233 | Location: Ken-in-Tucky | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwoRivers:
16 ounce Coke in glass bottle
A&W Root Beer stands
and frosty, cold, glass mugs with the A&W emblem. My parents got us 4 oz servings/mugs when we were very young.

7 ounce 7up in green glass bottle. "You like it. It likes you." "Freshen up with 7up"

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I spent the first 6-ish years of life in Shreveport, LA before we moved away and I started 1st grade. So I don't know if this show was just local to Shreveport or not, but I remember watching a children's program called "Romper Room". I remember the lady looking "through" her hand-held mirror at the end of the show and saying goodbye to Jimmy, Susie, Sally, Johnny, Rebecca, Floyd, Andy, Betty, etc., etc. Bitch NEVER said my name...

Big Grin Big Grin

The Philly TV market had the same show, so it must have been all over.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I remember our local Woolworth's having barrels of M1 Garands in the sporting goods dept for $99.99 back when I was a kid.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I remember a game that we played that you sure could not play today. It was called - "smear the queer".
A football was used and maybe 5-10 guys playing. The one with the ball tried to avoid being tackled and when he did the ball was stripped from him and the group then went after the new ball carrier.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post