SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The NASA Apollo Space Program

Listening to music (not just talk) on AM radio stations at night that were 1500 miles away.

Spare Time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: radioman,

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Surprised no one mentioned transistor radios. Oh, and chain mail.

Before the transistor radios, there were portable radios which used vacuum tubes and needed two giant batteries, an A battery and a B battery. One was to run the filaments and the other was high voltage.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
1000 yard Santiago Gun Range in SoCal

Weatherbys in Southgate.. Is Weisers Sporting Goods still in Anaheim?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Ford School and Wilshire Jr Hi, in Fullerton

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Milk being delivered to your front porch.

You would leave the empty bottles out to be picked up and they gave you a rotating index thing that would tell them what to leave for the new delivery. Mom would get so mad at me as I would sneak outside and move chocolate milk card to the top.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Freedom !!!

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rifle range in the basement of my high school in Suburban Chicago. (Park Ridge/Des Plaines)

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Cigarette lighters and ash trays in cars. (The sockets, sometimes multiple, are still there.)

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Watching bull bats and chimney sweeps outside at night , around dusk.

I don't know the correct name for bull bats, but they were large black birds about the size of a seagull, with long thin wings.

Chimney sweeps were swallows, small black birds, that chased insects in the evenings. I seldom see these anymore, been decades since I've seen a bull bat.

No catbirds around anymore.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive In Theatres

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
CD players - they’re phasing out. Can’t listen to them in either of our new cars.
Electric can openers - I would guess they still exist, but every home used to have one. I haven’t seen one in ages.
Texas Instruments Scientific Calculators.
Pagers (beepers)
Gasoline under $1/gallon
Cigarettes under $1/pack
Flushing enzymes for the septic
Butt ball - nowadays it would be considered violent and a criminal act.
Merry- go-rounds
Pledge of allegiance every morning over the intercom at school, where we all stood facing the flag with our hand on our hearts.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Flushing enzymes for the septic

You mean like Rid-X? Still a monthly ritual.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Watching bull bats and chimney sweeps outside at night , around dusk.

I don't know the correct name for bull bats, but they were large black birds about the size of a seagull, with long thin wings.

Chimney sweeps were swallows, small black birds, that chased insects in the evenings. I seldom see these anymore, been decades since I've seen a bull bat.

No catbirds around anymore.

Nighthawks, and I think you mean “Chimney swift.”

Sorry you don’t get to see, and hear them anymore. They add a lot to my enjoyment of summer.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Saturday morning cartoons
Cruising the “strip” from 8-11pm every Friday and Saturday night.
Three wheel ATVs
Shopping malls when they weren’t crime ridden ghost towns.
Radio Shack during the Christmas holiday season.
Hickory Farms stores with samples of everything.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Elevators that were started/stopped manually by an elevator operator
Volkswagen Microbuses (the original)

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Car Phones. -- Seriously, the type that were permanently mounted in the car with the little antenna with the spiral in the middle. It was bonus points if you had the accessory that would toot your horn when your phone rang.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shocked that no one has mentioned Sears and Roebuck, and JC Penney catalogs. Western Auto stores. American Motors/Rambler.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The Berlin wall.

The U.S.S.R.

Disco.

Good riddance to all of the above.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
moon dialing....talking between the busy-signal beep on a party line, with unknown people...and...pausing....between....each....beep....

(later in my youth) 25 cent gasoline;
levis only came about 6" too long whatever size you wore, so the were rolled up in one wide fold, or the next exciting fashion, rolled up narrow, in multiple 1" folds;

cinnamon-clove tooth picks in a little bottle of contraband the popular girls in the 6th grade would pass around to their entourage;

civics class where the teacher made us read the news paper for 20 minutes each day;

being able to ride your bicycle away after breakfast and explore all day until you were hungry enough to come back home, without the police being called by anyone;

discovering the exotic taste of 'lime-phosphorus' in place of the 10 cent cola at the ice cream parlor;

being proud of having to pay a whole quarter to ride the bus downtown, instead of the 10 cent Kids Fare....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Drive In Theatres

There's one about 5 miles from my house. Been there for at least 50 years. We go about once a summer. Have taken grandkids and their friends. They think it's incredible that you can bring your own popcorn, drinks, lawn chairs, coolers and watch movies outside.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

Elevators that were started/stopped manually by an elevator operator
I ran those in the Hotel New Yorker (45 floors and several sub-basements), in the mid 1950s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post