SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List things from your Youth that do not exist in today's world Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Damn , you guys are good. A long stroll down memory lane.
How about:
Comic books
Playing outside throwing dirtballs
Slide Rulers
Playboy Magazine

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Sambo's restaurants (just the original still open, some others renamed)
White Tower hamburgers (I understand there is still ONE open in Toledo, Ohio)

Flashguy when you make your trip to Toledo stop in Ft Wayne Indiana at Powers https://tinyurl.com/t2mup7r. Im lucky enough to live close to both.There is also the original Kewpees close.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Murphy Co. 5 & 10 cent Store
Mighty Matilda the toy aircraft carrier
Big Brusier the toy tow truck

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I spent the first 6-ish years of life in Shreveport, LA before we moved away and I started 1st grade. So I don't know if this show was just local to Shreveport or not, but I remember watching a children's program called "Romper Room". I remember the lady looking "through" her hand-held mirror at the end of the show and saying goodbye to Jimmy, Susie, Sally, Johnny, Rebecca, Floyd, Andy, Betty, etc., etc. Bitch NEVER said my name...

Big Grin Big Grin

Romper room ran from '53 to '94 Eek

I was gonna post something from youtube but not sure which decade to go with. There are vids out there though.

I miss my Navarone army man set. It was awesome.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Wonderama was another show. If I recall it was on Sunday morning with Sonny Fox as the host.
Then Bob McAllister took over.

Another oldie was Candid Camera with Allen Funt.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Wonderama was another show. If I recall it was on Sunday morning with Sonny Fox as the host.
Then Bob McAllister took over.

Another oldie was Candid Camera with Allen Funt.
And, (at least in the Northeast) the Sandy Becker show in the late afternoon on weekdays.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Let's Pretend on the radio Saturday mornings
Tom Corbett, Space Cadet on TV
Sky King on TV
All In the Family on TV
Fibber McGee and Mollie (radio and TV)
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet (radio and TV)

BTW, Romper Room also played in Detroit, MI. And Soupy Sales was from there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

So, I’ve got a story about Rick and David Nelson.

Not long after we were married, my wife, Mary and I took a job on a horse breeding and training farm up around Santa Ynez, California. The owners of the horse farm had quite a lot of show business connections and David Nelson came up for the weekend.

The veterinarian and I were preg checking some mares when the owner brought David into the breeding barn to watch. It was only about a month after Rick’s death, and all I could think of to say is, “Sorry about your brother; I was a fan.” He nodded his head, said thanks, and gave a half-smile.

Just those few words made a connection though, and later that weekend we sat out behind a barn and talked—for a long time. I grew up watching “Ozzie and Harriet,” and here I was sitting with my back to the barn while David chain-smoked cigarettes. We talked a lot about Rick. I can tell you without hesitation, the two of them were very close, and David’s heart ached from his death.

I’ll add that I really was a fan. I thought the music he was making with the Stone Canyon Band was really good.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the original cherry bomb, M80 and black cat fire crackers. ( full power) circa 1966

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont forget Milky the Clown in the Detroit area sponsored by Twin Pines Dairy.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma City had “The Foreman Scotty Show”. The “Magic Lasso” picked me for the “Golden Horseshoe” on the show at a friend’s birthday party.

Foreman Scotty called me a “towhead” on the air. I’d never heard the term so I was kind of insulted, but at least I had that Golden Horseshoe.

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what got me on this train of thought, but I was thinking about an old Outer Limits episode. It was the one where the soldier from the future was transported in to the past (~1960s). He saw the garbage (food waste) that was collected for disposal, and took it for consumption, as food was scarce.

I remember growing up that we had to sort our waste int o trash - basic household waste- and garbage - food waste. They were collected by different trucks, and were presumably sent to different end points.

I think if kids saw that episode of Outer Limits, they would have no idea what it referenced.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
DeSoto, Henry J, and Willis automobiles.

Ice wagons.

Nehigh soda pop.

Marbles.

Cap pistols.

Match Guns made from Spring clothespins.

Western Flyer wagons.

Slingshots.

Kukla, Fran, and Ollie.

Laurel and Hardy.

Captain Video and his Video Rangers.

Howdy Doody.

TV sets with Horizontal and Vertical hold Knobs.

Water pistols.

Boy Scout knives.

Cars with dual headlights and fins.

Your Mom getting/doing a home permanent.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Cops carrying S&W Model 27 revolvers on Sam Brown Duty Belts that had little leather loops for individual .357 Magnum rounds. That was bad-ass. If you got close enough you could see the hollow points on those spare rounds.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
Dont forget Milky the Clown in the Detroit area sponsored by Twin Pines Dairy.
Yeah. My dad was a Milkman for Wilson Dairy, though.

New Era potato chips--came in a big metal can.
My mon worked as a licensed Cosmotologist for a while in Detroit. After I was born she stayed at home, but she did "do" home permanents for her sisters and friends.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Ridgid Tool Company calendars with pin-ups

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radio shows I used to listen to In the car parked in the driveway

The Shadow (knows)

Johnny Dollar

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned test patterns on TV at night.

Remember seeing "High Flight" followed by the National Anthem before going off the air at night?

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
playing hide and seek in the neighborhood well after dark.

catching scorpions to sell to jewelers.

breeding mice and rats to sell to research labs.

tin cans with string to communicate with the neighbor best friend.

.25 cent/gallon gas for my first car.

phone numbers that started with two letters (AL8-7600) and those were party lines with different rings.

walking two miles to school.

going to a drive in movie theater in your pajamas with oil popped popcorn from home and watching the movie from the hood of the car.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Someone mentioned test patterns on TV at night.

Remember seeing "High Flight" followed by the National Anthem before going off the air at night?
Yes. That poem brings tears every time I see it. (I have an emotional side that certain Patriotic topics engage.) The author died very young, not long after writing the poem.

flashguy