Micronauts
Marx Big Wheels

February 20, 2020, 06:07 AM
rat2306
Rexall Drug Stores

The affordable Cox model powered planes
February 20, 2020, 06:44 AM
Bassamatic
Yeah, Woolworth's was the place to eat. A chocolate milk shake and a burger and I bet it wasn't over a buck.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
February 21, 2020, 05:45 PM
arfmel
Mrs. Olson for Folgers Coffee.
February 21, 2020, 07:22 PM
flashguy
Sambo's restaurants (just the original still open, some others renamed)
White Tower hamburgers (I understand there is still ONE open in Toledo, Ohio)

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
February 21, 2020, 08:07 PM
ZSMICHAEL
For those who cannot recall Mrs. Olson. Back when a woman' worth and self esteem were based on making good coffee, not sammiches.

February 21, 2020, 08:44 PM
sjtill
Nickel candy bars.
Dime movies on Saturday mornings: Frances Joins the Army, Martin and Lewis, Huntz Hall and the Bowery Boys.
TV came much later: Sky King, the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Lassie.
7-ounce Coke bottles, collected by the side of the road to buy those nickel candy bars: Cowboy.
Radio Shack; Lafayette Radio stores.
Radio shop class in high school.
16 mm movie projectors (guess who was the high school AV monitor?).

February 22, 2020, 09:27 AM
Eponym
Teletype terminals and punched tape.
Control Data Corporation and their mainframes.
Disk packs with removable cover and mounting handle.
Disk drives for the above, roughly the size of a dishwasher.
February 22, 2020, 12:52 PM
Southflorida-law
kodachrome in metal film canisters with screw on tops
February 22, 2020, 01:55 PM
bendable
cross your heart bra commercials.

woolworths, s.s. kresge's, Monkey Ward circa 1955

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
February 22, 2020, 02:01 PM
low8option
Lot's of people mention gun stores but how about stores that sold a 12 year old boy a Sweet Sixteen for $25 down and the remaining $125 financed at $5 a month or two years later another store selling a 14 yr old a new Browning Hi Power with extra mag for $85 with $75 of it financed for a year and both transactions not having an adult co-signing for gun or loan.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment
February 22, 2020, 02:23 PM
erj_pilot
I spent the first 6-ish years of life in Shreveport, LA before we moved away and I started 1st grade. So I don't know if this show was just local to Shreveport or not, but I remember watching a children's program called "Romper Room". I remember the lady looking "through" her hand-held mirror at the end of the show and saying goodbye to Jimmy, Susie, Sally, Johnny, Rebecca, Floyd, Andy, Betty, etc., etc. Bitch NEVER said my name...

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
February 22, 2020, 02:41 PM
ZSMICHAEL
^^^^^^^^^
No it was syndicated. It aired in the Chicago market as well. It was better than Ding Dong school on educational TV with Miss Frances.
February 22, 2020, 03:04 PM
WaterburyBob
Soda and Beer in cans that didn't have pop tops. You had to open them with a can & bottle opener that cut a triangular hole in the top and pushed that flap inside.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
February 22, 2020, 03:22 PM
Johnny 3eagles
Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
February 22, 2020, 03:56 PM
TwoRivers
Doctors who made house calls
Ice cream sold in gallon containers
16 ounce Coke in glass bottler
Crosley Field in Cincinnati
Municipal Stadium in Cleveland
The Browns actually being good
Hearing Whip-or-wills at dusk
Hearing Quail calls
A&W Root Beer stands
February 22, 2020, 05:45 PM
Eponym
quote:
Originally posted by TwoRivers:
16 ounce Coke in glass bottle
A&W Root Beer stands
and frosty, cold, glass mugs with the A&W emblem. My parents got us 4 oz servings/mugs when we were very young.

7 ounce 7up in green glass bottle. "You like it. It likes you." "Freshen up with 7up"
February 22, 2020, 11:03 PM
K0ZZZ
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I spent the first 6-ish years of life in Shreveport, LA before we moved away and I started 1st grade. So I don't know if this show was just local to Shreveport or not, but I remember watching a children's program called "Romper Room". I remember the lady looking "through" her hand-held mirror at the end of the show and saying goodbye to Jimmy, Susie, Sally, Johnny, Rebecca, Floyd, Andy, Betty, etc., etc. Bitch NEVER said my name...

Big Grin Big Grin

The Philly TV market had the same show, so it must have been all over.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.
February 23, 2020, 02:00 AM
Todd Huffman
I remember our local Woolworth's having barrels of M1 Garands in the sporting goods dept for $99.99 back when I was a kid.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
February 23, 2020, 06:14 AM
usmc-nav
I remember a game that we played that you sure could not play today. It was called - "smear the queer".
A football was used and maybe 5-10 guys playing. The one with the ball tried to avoid being tackled and when he did the ball was stripped from him and the group then went after the new ball carrier.