SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The official NHL playoff thread
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The official NHL playoff thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Remember the days when defense mattered....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
This was reminiscent of the 80's Oilers. Those teams could score.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
It's exciting watching all the young talent on the Oilers.
And with my 'Hawks stinking it up and getting swept, I'd like to see the Oilers in the conference finals.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Blues are out. Good run for Yeo and the Blues. They knocked the Wild out so that satisfaction will take a lot of the sting out of the series loss to Nashville.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
yea... good season for the Blues and good vibe with Yeo. I had a bad feeling about that game 6 yesterday in Nashville. Then they took the early lead and I thought it was possible. Then the power play kept being given to the Preds.... oh well. Next year. Smile

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick. however, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered "off-side," provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line..

Unfortunately it's clear as mud. At one point I was a certified referee and USA hockey has the same rule. If the Ottawa player had his stick in contact with the puck he would be on side. As the picture shows he's completely in the Rangers zone, and not in possession of the puck. Oh well, I guess the NHL really wants a Canadian team in the playoffs.......

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Unfortunately it's clear as mud. At one point I was a certified referee and USA hockey has the same rule. If the Ottawa player had his stick in contact with the puck he would be on side. As the picture shows he's completely in the Rangers zone, and not in possession of the puck. Oh well, I guess the NHL really wants a Canadian team in the playoffs.......

If the player has possession of the puck before crossing the blue line and crosses the blue line skating either forwards or backwards and he is considered on-side (as long as no other player on his team completely crosses the blue line prior to the puck). The puck does not have to be in contact with the stick.

Hope this video will help - start at around 2:45.
Explanation from NHL.TV

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If the player has possession of the puck before crossing the blue line and crosses the blue line skating either forwards or backwards and he is considered on-side (as long as no other player on his team completely crosses the blue line prior to the puck). The puck does not have to be in contact with the stick.

Hope this video will help - start at around 2:45.
Explanation from NHL.TV

My issue is the term 'possession'. It's not an objective standard, it's an opinion. If the referee or replay judge feels the player is in 'possession' of the puck, everything is on side. If not it's off side. To me a 'feeling' isn't an objective standard, and it can't be applies with uniformity. There is no guarantee that a different video judge or lineman would have called the play the same way, and to me that makes the standard too subjective to be applies evenly. I think the NHL blew the call, and it cost my team the game.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:

My issue is the term 'possession'. It's not an objective standard, it's an opinion. If the referee or replay judge feels the player is in 'possession' of the puck, everything is on side. If not it's off side. To me a 'feeling' isn't an objective standard, and it can't be applies with uniformity. There is no guarantee that a different video judge or lineman would have called the play the same way, and to me that makes the standard too subjective to be applies evenly. I think the NHL blew the call, and it cost my team the game.

It's all subjective to the on ice officials.

At this point, I'm just happy if the standards for a penalty remain constant in the same game.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's all subjective to the on ice officials.

At this point, I'm just happy if the standards for a penalty remain constant in the same game.

You have a point. Roll Eyes

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Pathetic.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Going to be a fun game seven.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Going to be a fun game seven.

Oh hell yes it will!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
That had to be the Pens worst played game in a couple of years - lots of bad decisions by the players. Caps played well.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah Pens! Shutout for Flower and Murray back on the bench! The Pens looked good (not hard to do after how shit they were in Gm 6).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Great game by the Pens, Fleury played a hell of a game. On to Ottawa.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
MAF was on fire tonight.
Great win, Pens!

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Talk about anxiety inducing. My neighborhood lost power with about 2 min left in the game. I ended up listening to the end of the game on my iPhone. Power just came back about 10 minutes ago.

Fleury was the MVP for the series. The Pens looked much better in the last 45 minutes of the game. They looked like the team that won last year.

Still not having Letang does hurt.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Preds travel to CA to take on my team.

With the Ducks advancing to the Western Conference championship round, this makes it 8 years in a row that a team from CA has been in the conference finale.

Come on Preds. Bring something we'll respect.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post