SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
If you are happy with LaPierre, fine, send him your $$$.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
What needs to happen is what happened to Gillette. Let the NRA membership plummet--.

They don't need that. Wayne's discount Life Member scheme brought in a big, one time flood of money... from people who are now Life Members, most of whom will never send another dime. So they already did it to themselves. Bad long term idea.

As far as "I'm not a member because of...' Bullshit.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
The three people I named-- acknowledging that there are many more possible-- were not picked because they are a black man and two women. Have you ever listened to any of them? They are all superb. Colion Noir, for instance, can be funny.. Humor-- ridicule-- is a very effective weapon. Can you imagine Wayne making you laugh? Unless he slipped and fell on a banana peel.

I won't choose people because they are black or female or whatever. And I won't eliminate them either.

And I won't rejoin NRA with Wayne LaPierre at the top.

My post wasn't in response to yours. It was in response to Captain127.

I have no problem with anyone you mentioned having a much larger leadership role in the NRA.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost wish we could put them both in a room with some tetnus coated rusty spoons and say who ever makes it out alive wins. Then toss the key down the septic system.

This is as much drain the swamp as any political appointee.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
The three people I named-- acknowledging that there are many more possible-- were not picked because they are a black man and two women. Have you ever listened to any of them? They are all superb. Colion Noir, for instance, can be funny.. Humor-- ridicule-- is a very effective weapon. Can you imagine Wayne making you laugh? Unless he slipped and fell on a banana peel.

I won't choose people because they are black or female or whatever. And I won't eliminate them either.

And I won't rejoin NRA with Wayne LaPierre at the top.

There is more to the CEO’s job than just Public Relations, but Mr. LaPierre is horrible enough at that part of the job that it doesn’t matter how good or bad he is at the rest of the job. The folks listed above would likely be great at the PR side of the job. They might also be just as good at the Leadership side of the job too. None of the three are dummies. I hope whoever replaces Mr. LaPierre has the whole package of skills needed for the job.

Someday we may get to the point where at least most people don’t look at race or gender and only focus on competence. We’re certainly not there today with the lunatic left playing identity politics.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Agree that the NRA in this day and age must change the aterotype of a bunch of old white guys.
High profile leadership of a more diverse nature ( other ethnicities and women) are the key to the future both at executive and grassroots levels.
A young woman that is both smart and articulate and with stage presence is what is needed

Wonderful that the recommendation is to go full PC-compatible.
Just what we need - follow the liberal lead - just put 'em in there because of their color, race, sex whatever.
Simply great Frown

Diversity != PC just because the PC is more associated with liberal thought. Qualifications matter most, but the "old white guy" stigma would take a large hit with any of the four previously mentioned.

I'm betting the four mentioned wouldn't take the prize simply because they believe it PC, rather they believe in the fundamental gun right.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I will always be an NRA member and will support them - the left hates them and they are always a target (meaning us.) So I take that as they are being effective, maybe not in every case or area we want, but the 2A is better with them than without. That said it is quite a disappointment to see this all this.

I don't know if it will go any where but i dropped a quick note in the NRA contact link. https://contact.nra.org/

I, like many other NRA members, am quite disappointed with the public clash between Mr. North and Mr. LaPierre. This is neither what we want to see the NRA involved with, nor want the leftist media to have to gloat over. As I understand Mr. North has resigned, which is fine but doesn't address the "financial improprieties" concern.

I, and again many members, think it is time for Mr. LaPierre to move on and let some new leadership take over. Get the NRA back on track doing what we join and donate for, firearms and protecting the Second Amendment, not providing wardrobe budgets and excessive salaries.

I would like to thank Mr. La Pierre for bringing the NRA to its current status, but for the best of the organization the board members need to select a new leader.

Regards,
Me

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
LaPierre needs to fuck off into the sunset. He really hurt them a few years back when he pulled a Tipper Gore, blaming them newfangled vidya games for some lunatic shooting up a school. It shows a great misunderstanding of the problem, as well alienating future generations of shooters and Second Amendment supporters.

I continue to support the NRA, and give them money, because they are the big bad gorilla the hoplophobes like to focus on. They're not perfect, but they're a tank, and that lets smaller organizations slip in and get some shit done without a whole lot of fanfare.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I, and again many members, think it is time for Mr. LaPierre to move on and let some new leadership take over. Get the NRA back on track doing what we join and donate for, firearms and protecting the Second Amendment, not providing wardrobe budgets and excessive salaries.

I agree.

Thank you, 2012BOSS302, for writing and letting them know. I think I'll do the same.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to get my head around $200K for wardrobe stuff....is that some kind of a code for something I've not heard of? Are we REALLY talking about $200K-worth of T-shirts, Jockeys and pants, shirts et al?

If I multiplied my life spending by ten times I've never spent that amount.....

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Must wear a dress shirt once and then throw it out. Yeah...I doubt VERY seriously I've spent even $100,000 on my wardrobe in my entire life. That means in my working career of 35 years post-college, I would have to have spent over $2,800/year on clothes. Yeah...ummm no.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
A lot of members, myself included have basically accepted the NRA as run without too much concern because they were accomplishing things.

When opposition to anti gun issues is waining, and the bump stock debacle, members are looking a little closer.

It's past time for La Pierre to retire and pass the reins of the organization onto younger and more focused people.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to thank Mr. La Pierre for bringing the NRA to its current status

Membership numbers, based on annual revenue, have been flat for about five years now.

I think LaPierre himself does absolutely nothing to expand the number of NRA members, and, in my opinion, he is the main drag on growth.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
From the very first time that I became aware of him, Wayne LaPierre impressed me as an aggravating, pompous, man, who was very full of himself. It seems like many organizations attract this type of person -- the reason that I dropped my membership in AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association).

I understand that the AOPA is not an HOA, but my thought is that when the NRA reminds you of an HOA, something isn't right. It's time for Wayne to catch a train.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think LaPierre himself does absolutely nothing to expand the number of NRA members, and, in my opinion, he is the main drag on growth.

I understand, it's just a polite way of putting him out to pasture. A public spectacle of "your fired" doesn't help the NRA, more than likely gives the media more shit to stir. Him making the decision to "move on" would be best. Unfortunately what we see when people get in positions of power and money, they don't always think what is best for the brand, they think what is best for me. That is where the board will have to come in.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

The NRA is bigger than LaPierre, much, much more.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

MUCH bigger.
I have NO problem supporting the NRA, I am not sending money to him but the organization.
So for (except a comment on membership growth) all I hear is "I don't like him" "He is an old white guy" and "I don't like the way he speaks".
OK fine, maybe we need an orator like BHO? Frown
He doesn't bother me and I am PROUD to be a Lifetime Member and will continue to support the Second Amendment while we still have it.
YMMV

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'm still trying to get my head around $200K for wardrobe stuff....is that some kind of a code for something I've not heard of? Are we REALLY talking about $200K-worth of T-shirts, Jockeys and pants, shirts et al?

If I multiplied my life spending by ten times I've never spent that amount.....

Over the 15 year period of time the article mentions, that's $13,333 a year. While that's more than I spend on clothes per year, it doesn't seem out of line with the position.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How about "he's using it as his own personal piggy bank"? How about "he's using the gun rights community for his own enrichment"?

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

MUCH bigger.
I have NO problem supporting the NRA, I am not sending money to him but the organization.
So for (except a comment on membership growth) all I hear is "I don't like him" "He is an old white guy" and "I don't like the way he speaks".
OK fine, maybe we need an orator like BHO? Frown
He doesn't bother me and I am PROUD to be a Lifetime Member and will continue to support the Second Amendment while we still have it.
YMMV

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I think many of us here do not think he is a bad guy or even done a bad job. But there is a time for everything. Many of us think his time in this position is long past the point of doing more harm than good for the NRA. It is crazy that the board is unwilling to see what most everyone else see's.
With thanking him and moving on with the right person the NRA would increase membership and add lots and lots of $ to the coffers and start doing more of what its members want.
It sucks that they are just unwilling to do what needs to be done.

Shame on them and the worst part is it really hurts the cause.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post