SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
The Presidency, Senate, and House were under republican control for two years. The Rhinos did nothing, the NRA did worse.

Confused

The same ARs that cost $2000 in early 2013 under Obama currently are selling for $350-400. Ammo has never been cheaper. I have seen $6 PMags.

Parkland was the left's wet dream to pull on the public's heart strings.

We have two solid Supreme Court Justices.

Yep, they did nothing.

They have been backing and fighting for Constitutional Carry in many states, and are winning. They fought an uphill battle in Kentucky against the Kentucky Sheriff's Association, DOCJT, and CCDW instructors. We won and it goes into effect a week from Monday.

The one thing they didn't do is quit. Like so many have done in this thread. "Battered wife syndrome" seems to be the same code as "Uncle Tom".

We live in damn good times off of the back of the NRA. The idea that the "GOA" or "Billy Bobs Crab Shack emporium and Gun Advocacy Center" carries the clout that the NRA does is laughable.

There are like 40 people running for President on the left. Show me ten percent of them who are scared, or even know of, the "GOA".

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jljones, just to note, the thread is about the NRA/firearm laws. Two years with a wide open boulevard and the car remained in park.

Supreme court justices have a way of not being who they appear to be, or morph over time. Time will tell. I genuinely hope your faith in the NRA is found to be correct. Peace

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The fight has shifted to state/local. More money pouring into the state of Virginia right now from anti's than 2A supporters. With the NRA in turmoil, it's not a good scene.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You guys ever considered just voting for crazy Bernie or the fake Indian to teach the NRA a lesson?

Chuck Schumer approves of this thread!

I think you are defining this issue completely in terms of opposite extremes. EITHER we shut up and keep giving the NRA our money, turning a blind eye to Wayne's ego and his greed, OR we are voting for a communist.

No, I think there are more possibilities. I want a strong NRA, but I don't want to help bankroll LaPierre's lifestyle of the rich and famous. Fuck LaPierre. For decades I have winced every time his grouchy, angry, defensive mug pops up on tv.

Without even trying, I can think, off the top of my head, of a dozen men and women who would not only be better than LaPierre, but better by a factor of ten. Cut this parasite loose, and I will rejoin NRA, which will prosper and grow as it never will under Wayne LaPierre.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It's not a binary choice, support gun rights or don't support gun rights. You can still support gun rights without giving to the NRA. Plenty of other organizations out there.

As I said before, I am a Benefactor Life member of the NRA. And they won't see one thin dime from me as long as LaPierre is employed there. My money goes go GOA and my state org (GRNC) for the forseable future.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe we'd just like to see the NRA get it's act together, and concentrate on being effective.

quote:
You guys ever considered just voting for crazy Bernie or the fake Indian to teach the NRA a lesson?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Maybe we'd just like to see the NRA get it's act together, and concentrate on being effective.

quote:

As would I.

But, this idea that there is another choice on the national stage to protect our Rights is just silly.

You remember that time that the governor of NY directed the state’s might at the “GOA” because they were such a powerful lobby that you had to throw everything at it to defeat it?

Yeah, me neither. So if the ones who are fighting us really aren’t worried about the the lobbying efforts of the “GOA”, that’s tells us something about the value of our donations.

It’s sorta funny that the “GOA” seems to be the parroted answer to those who have quit on the NRA, and that the NRA and the republicans have been in “park” but some how the GOA hasn’t been in park. Well, they have. Or they just aren’t a player in the defense of our Rights.

The Republican Party is weak because we have people that quit at the first sign of trouble.

They rationalize to themselves that they are “doing something” or its not a “binary choice” when in fact there is much good going on at the hands of the NRA.

I refuse to quit. I also refuse to kid myself that any other organization carry’s the clout of the NRA and thy my money will do as much good any place else.

I also guess that the lack of the national enemy at our door has caused many to create their own “Gun owners green new deal” type wish list. And when they don’t get it, this is the result.

I want Wayne gone. But I’m not quitting or throwing a tantrum until I get my wish.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Life member now.

But I still want Wayne to sail off into retirement.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

As would I.

But, this idea that there is another choice on the national stage to protect our Rights is just silly.

You remember that time that the governor of NY directed the state’s might at the “GOA” because they were such a powerful lobby that you had to throw everything at it to defeat it?

Yeah, me neither. So if the ones who are fighting us really aren’t worried about the the lobbying efforts of the “GOA”, that’s tells us something about the value of our donations.

It’s sorta funny that the “GOA” seems to be the parroted answer to those who have quit on the NRA, and that the NRA and the republicans have been in “park” but some how the GOA hasn’t been in park. Well, they have. Or they just aren’t a player in the defense of our Rights.

The Republican Party is weak because we have people that quit at the first sign of trouble.

They rationalize to themselves that they are “doing something” or its not a “binary choice” when in fact there is much good going on at the hands of the NRA.

I refuse to quit. I also refuse to kid myself that any other organization carry’s the clout of the NRA and thy my money will do as much good any place else.

I also guess that the lack of the national enemy at our door has caused many to create their own “Gun owners green new deal” type wish list. And when they don’t get it, this is the result.

I want Wayne gone. But I’m not quitting or throwing a tantrum until I get my wish.

I am not quitting either but I learned along time ago not to throw good money after bad...A change would be nice.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Let's see, what large gun related convention did Donald Trump speak at?

Oh. yes, the NRA.

That my friends is why I'm proud to tell the world that I'm a life member.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm an Endowment level Life Member. Frankly, it's pathetic that they're satisfied with approximately 5% of gun owners being members. We need a leader who wants to get 4x or 5x the number of current members and to accomplish more on the federal and state level. Currently, LaPierre runs it with endless pleas for more money from existing members, fancy events/parties, and make meager progress at the federal and state level.
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Let's see, what large gun related convention did Donald Trump speak at?

Oh. yes, the NRA.

That my friends is why I'm proud to tell the world that I'm a life member.
Have you been to the NRA annual convention? I went 2 years ago when it was in Dallas and it's just a glorified gun show for current members. They spend thousands of man hours annually on something that isn't bringing in new members.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm an Endowment level Life Member. Frankly, it's pathetic that they're satisfied with approximately 5% of gun owners being members.
We need a leader who wants to get 4x or 5x the number of current members and to accomplish more on the federal and state level. Currently, LaPierre runs it with endless pleas for more money from existing members, fancy events/parties, and make meager progress at the federal and state level.

Have you been to the NRA annual convention?
I went 2 years ago when it was in Dallas and it's just a glorified gun show for current members.
They spend thousands of man hours annually on something that isn't bringing in new members.

It isn't a glorified gun show it is a glorious gun show.
Well, I don't know what the percentage rate should be so other than firing everybody like Lapierre (maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't) then > what should they do?
Even if they ripped the entire management - that doesn't mean more will join.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Plenty of organizations have lost their way and become self-focused on entertaining their leadership and donors. For example, is a fat cat who is shopping on Rodeo drive to the tune of $300k in 10 years on NRA’s dime really spending time leading an organization on its core mission? Is preventing an audit of a Texas law firm being paid $97k per day in the NRA’s best interest or Wayne’s best interest?

After a change in leadership, plenty of other organizations have gotten back to core mission and good things start to happen. Steve Jobs returning to Apple is one that comes to mind.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
After a change in leadership, plenty of other organizations have gotten back to core mission and good things start to happen.

I appreciate the sentiment and agree the optics are not great right now.
I seems those optics of management making a lot of money is what most are upset about.
Most all successful organizations the leaders do well and should.
IMO when the dirty laundry gets aired then the facts go out the window.

If the real issue was membership numbers, legislation, etc then those issues are never really raised - so we focus on the optics of how the leader(s) get paid and on what. Confused

Honestly, if not of the laundry recently was aired I think everything would be fine.
Not so much now.
Yeah, we do need to get back to core mission values but mostly keep squabbles in house.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So what's the answer?

Accepting that LaPierre has fully captured the NRA organization and governance (meaning he has full control of the board), and that he's basically using it as his own personal piggy bank/fiefdom, how does this get fixed by the membership and/or gun rights community as a whole?

How do we throw out the bathwater without the baby?

quote:
quote:

quote:

As would I.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am a Life / Patron member

that means I have a say in the NRA and I'm asking them that for the good of the organization and the good of the membership - get rid of LaPierre

if enough people call for his ouster, it might happen

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That, and cutting off payments, are about all you can do.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I am a Life / Patron member

that means I have a say in the NRA and I'm asking them that for the good of the organization and the good of the membership - get rid of LaPierre

if enough people call for his ouster, it might happen

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the answer?

Accepting that LaPierre has fully captured the NRA organization and governance (meaning he has full control of the board), and that he's basically using it as his own personal piggy bank/fiefdom, how does this get fixed by the membership and/or gun rights community as a whole?

Excellent question!

In summary:
* Many are jealous of LaPierre's compensation.
This is not unlike most companies - both the jealousy and the fact that the top dog gets paid well.
* Even if Wayne is not at fault for anything - the buck stops there.
* If he is out (right or wrong) then everyone can stop complaining.
* If they learn anything - they will hire in it's place a Black, Muslim, Gay (or Tranny) Midget for a spokesman - NOW they have the optics, right? and pay him peanuts.
* Life goes on and they will still call you and everyone and their brother for money (I have no problem with that - it is what they need to do).

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Let the stream of money dry up to a trickle-- as many here have said "not a penny more until he is gone"-- and Wayne will be retired faster than you can say "villa on the shores of Lake Como."

And unless that happens, unless the membership let's NRA know that no more cash will be forthcoming until he is gone, Wayne's snout will remain deeply planted in the trough of NRA moola.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
So what's the answer?

Excellent question!

In summary:
* Many are jealous of LaPierre's compensation.
This is not unlike most companies - both the jealousy and the fact that the top dog gets paid well.
* Even if Wayne is not at fault for anything - the buck stops there.
* If he is out (right or wrong) then everyone can stop complaining.
* If they learn anything - they will hire in it's place a Black, Muslim, Gay (or Tranny) Midget for a spokesman - NOW they have the optics, right? and pay him peanuts.
* Life goes on and they will still call you and everyone and their brother for money (I have no problem with that - it is what they need to do).
You’re making the erroneous and frankly insulting assumption it’s that he is highly paid and we’re jealous. It’s corruption that myself and others have complained about. Buy your own damn clothes, pay for your own Christmas time trip to Europe, keep your financial transactions above board (eg sure looks like money laundering thru ackerman), don’t prevent audits of contractors making $97k per day, etc.

Also, we want the NRA:
  • as powerful and effective as our opponents accuse us of being.
  • with a CEO steering the ship toward having a membership larger than 5% of target audience
  • with a CEO steering the ship toward benefitting the target audience not entertaining them with lavish parties and conventions

How is that so hard for you to comprehend?

•