SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Nicholas forms in the Gulf
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Nicholas forms in the Gulf Login/Join 
posted
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/...4+shtml/121459.shtml

..TROPICAL STORM NICHOLAS FORMS IN THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF
MEXICO...
...TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS AND WATCHES ISSUED FOR THE COASTS OF
NORTHEASTERN MEXICO AND TEXAS...

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the coast of Texas from
the Mouth of the Rio Grande to Port Aransas.

The Government of Mexico has issued a Tropical Storm Warning from
Barra el Mezquital northward to the U.S./Mexico border.

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for the coast of Texas from the
Mouth of the Rio Grande to High Island.

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for the coast of Texas from
north of Port Aransas to High Island.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* Mouth of the Rio Grande to Port Aransas Texas
* Barra el Mezquital to the U.S./Mexico border

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* Mouth of the Rio Grande to High Island Texas

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* North of Port Aransas to High Island Texas

A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are
expected somewhere within the warning area within 36 hours.

A Storm Surge Watch means there is a possibility of life-threatening
inundation, from rising water moving inland from the coastline, in
the indicated locations during the next 48 hours. For a depiction of
areas at risk, please see the National Weather Service Storm Surge
Watch/Warning Graphic, available at hurricanes.gov.

A Tropical Storm Watch means that tropical storm conditions are
possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours.

Interests elsewhere along the upper Texas coast should monitor the
progress of this system.

For storm information specific to your area in the United States,
including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor
products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast
office. For storm information specific to your area outside of the
United States, please monitor products issued by your national
meteorological service.

DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
----------------------
At 1000 AM CDT (1500 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Nicholas was
located by reconnaissance aircraft near latitude 20.5 North,
longitude 94.8 West. Nicholas is moving toward the north-northwest
near 13 mph (20 km/h), and this general motion is expected to
continue through tonight. A slower northward or north-northeastward
motion is forecast by late Monday or Monday night. On the forecast
track, the center of Nicholas will pass near or just offshore the
the coasts of northeastern Mexico and South Texas late Monday, and
approach the south or central Texas coast Monday night or early
Tuesday.

Data from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft indicate that
the maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher
gusts. Gradual strengthening is forecast while Nicholas approaches
the northwestern Gulf coast during the next day or so.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 105 miles (165 km)
from the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1008 mb (29.77 inches).

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.weatherusa.net/tropical

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Hoping it moves quickly through and doesn't dawdle... Most recent cone brings it right over us, and latest model runs show it moving slower than previous.

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NICHOLAS EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE NORTHWEST GULF COAST... ...STORM SURGE WARNING AND HURRICANE WATCH ISSUED FOR A PORTION OF THE TEXAS COAST...
Link: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
And I’m on a 2 hour hold to change my flight to Brownsville tomorrow…

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have flown in and out of airports when there is tropical storm warning. I remember one year flying out with a tropical storm and landing in Indy with snow flurries a few hours later.

posted Hide Post
I & 2 co-workers were out-of-state at a class few years ago, south Florida was going to be hit with a hurricane so they let us cancel class & fly back.

One guy had his wife along, she worked the phones and service agents like crazy the whole time, we got on the last flight into Fort Lauderdale and boy it was rough. Aircraft bounced like 3 times landing & its the only time I ever witnessed the whole passenger compartment give the pilots a standing ovation when we rolled to a stop.

Not something I wish to repeat. Big Grin

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1924 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lots of flooding risk off this one for Houston metropolitan area. 5 to 10 inches of rain in the Houston metro area, and 10 to 15 inches in Galveston and Brazoria Counties.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23097 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Hoping it moves quickly through and doesn't dawdle... Most recent cone brings it right over us, and latest model runs show it moving slower than previous.
Lots of media hyping an outlier European model showing it to bring 40" of rain to Houston.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23097 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lots of flooding risk off this one for Houston metropolitan area. 5 to 10 inches of rain in the Houston metro area, and 10 to 15 inches in Galveston and Brazoria Counties.

As long as we don't get Harvey 2.0
A bit of rain would be welcome, a deluge, less so.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Lots of media hyping an outlier European model showing it to bring 40" of rain to Houston.

Good thing I don't watch the regular media. Wink

It is an outlier, but the Euro has been correct a good amount of the time. Let's hope it was only one run in the ensemble.

For all my Houston area friends, if you've not seen these guys site before, they were the best resource I followed during Harvey:

https://spacecityweather.com

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I always check Eric Berger's site for the straight story without the hype. Even had people who work for NHC say he does impressive analysis. Waiting for his early morning take on the latest data. Space City Weather is my go to source for severe weather.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
We took a group down to Orange when Harvey went through to do mud out/clean up. Heartbreaking.

Hope that Nic rolls through without catastrophic flooding. Bonus if CTX gets a little rain out of it.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Some rain is welcome, we can always use rain. But 20" is not welcome, lets hope this stays slow and steady and not inches per hour.

Hoping the crops in the Valley get the rain they need.

HK Ag

Posts: 3494 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just reached Cat 1 hurricane status.

Q

Posts: 26198 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Clouds are hauling arse out there. Impressive.

Looks like north of i10 and west of i45 ought to be spared the heaviest rain tonight and tomorrow am. I'm sure the wind will knock a branch onto a power line in our neighborhood and knock out the power. Already have the genny on the back porch...

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We will be getting rain we don't need in La.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Lost power at 1 am and winds gusting to around 70 mph but rain not so bad thus far.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Our power stayed on until 0445. Genny is running, sipping coffee. Now just have to see if work has power...

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
NNE Houston, here.
Shockingly, we didn't lose power.

High winds & some off/on heavy rain. Otherwise, all is well here.

Wind blew over our pool fence, and that was the extent of cleanup this morning.

It's been calm the last hour or two, just the occasional gust of wind. No rain in at least the last hour.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15147 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post