SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a valid passport?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a valid passport? Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Passport and Global Entry. I cannot imagine not having it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What is all this "Real ID" stuff? I have real ID. I have a valid driver's license and a birth certificate showing I was born in the United States.
quote:
Global Entry
What in the world is that?

Posts: 107237 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, even though I have no currently known intentions of travelling anywhere that needs one anymore - I keep it up - as does the wife. [Course we are part of the great unvaxxed so not welcome to travel, or will be soon ]

For those required to go in person you can pay for expedited or walk through service to passport companies and it keeps you from dealing with it and being in person. We used it years back and well worth it and recommended to others we know who were grateful to use it

ETA - Real ID Info

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I do not, but if you think there is any chance you want to go overseas, start now. The wait is forever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Absolutely, because the scuba diving, while pretty good here, is both warmer and better other places that aren't the US.

I used to be a NAUI Assistant Instructor and agree completely.

The Caribbean for coral and the Pacific for fish.

Weird, I'd have put it almost opposite (Indonesia and Palau (which had great sharks) had great coral (and weird critters), Cozumel, Belize and Roatan had the great fish but the coral was just okay. At least for me and the sites I dove (which were admittedly pretty touristy). But all beat anywhere in the US for warmth and wildness. Though BC is great if you can take the cold water (I can but wifey is getting wimpy). Still need the passport though. Former PADI instructor.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passport and global entry. I travel for work. Not since covid, but it will resume some day.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Mine had expired during the virus end of the world shutdown, and the Dept. of State was not processing renewals until recently (except for "life or death" situations). I had it back within 2 months, so I'm good to go now. I renewed my Wife's this summer and it was processed faster than I expected.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5275 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What is all this "Real ID" stuff? I have real ID. I have a valid driver's license and a birth certificate showing I was born in the United States.
quote:
Global Entry

USCBP fast track system for travelers, if you travel quite a bit it's a way to expedite processing through customs security.

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports. At airports, program members proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit. Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

Global Entry

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I do have a valid Passport Card though, much easier to carry around as you can put it in your wallet.

Not valid for most foreign countries, but it is good for Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, which is enough for me.

I would not advise going to any non-USA location with just the Passport Card. Problem is, if something happens and you MUST fly back to the USA (maybe medical reasons, Cruise ship has issues, family emergency back home, etc), you simply cannot fly without jumping through some additional hoops. Suddenly you have a very complex situation on your hands.

You may not be a cruise ship fan, but I know of a family who was on a cruise and had to take Alaska Air back from from Puerto Vallarta due to a family emergency. just one example, YMMV.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, 2 of them. Hoping to use them again someday.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to have them, we let them expire. We used to enjoy going to the Caribbean. There is no way I would be able to get my wife to leave the USA now.

Posts: 461 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I got married in Jamaica (hope the wife doesn't find out Razz) but that was in the late 1990s, when US Citizens didn't need a passport to enter that country. I hear that's changed.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I do not have a passport yet but have printed the paperwork to start the process. When I travelled to Japan in the 90's I was in the Air Force so I didn't need it. In the next year or two my best friend and I will go back to visit and we both need one, so I'll be submitting my application in the very near future.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Global Entry

Gov program to allow US citizens returning home to avoid the long-lines at passport control. Prior to, all arrivals had to line-up (shit sandwich when several int'l wide-bodies all land within 30-min of each other), stand before the man, and answer some questions. Global Entry you submit to a background check (info they already have), some admin work and an interview to confirm what you submitted. For the frequent traveler, this was some relief as it also include TSA Pre-Check however, government promoted this hard and now there's quite a few people onboard. Since then the Mobile Pass App was developed, which is similar to the convenance of Global Entry, without the background check.
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I would not advise going to any non-USA location with just the Passport Card. Problem is, if something happens and you MUST fly back to the USA (maybe medical reasons, Cruise ship has issues, family emergency back home, etc), you simply cannot fly without jumping through some additional hoops. Suddenly you have a very complex situation on your hands.

You may not be a cruise ship fan, but I know of a family who was on a cruise and had to take Alaska Air back from from Puerto Vallarta due to a family emergency. just one example, YMMV.

Most people who utilize the card are those who live along the Mex or Can border and cross frequently.

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes, we took a cruise in Hawaii in 2020. Eventhough we never left the states, it was required.

I left once with Uncle Sam, no plans to go again.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You now need a passport to travel to the state of Hawaii?

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Just renewed it this summer.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12742 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do. Mine expires at the end of 2029. I make enough trips overseas (and to Canada) for tours that I keep it current. I like to travel.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would have gotten one for work to give international trainings, but then COVID happened. We are doing the classes remotely now. The program will return to in-person in the future...sometime.

I'll let work pay for it then.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post