SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a valid passport?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a valid passport? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Both my personal and my government passport have expired. I'm sure I will get a new passport at some point. I'm retiring from the Army in a few years (planning on doing 23 or so years) and would like to travel a bit with my wife.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
No. I don't even leave the county I live in very often, and like it that way.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Living within a half mile from the Canadian border and having to pass through Canada to get home from the rest of the state,a passport and NEXUS card are a necessity

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. And this is very good news:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/renew-passport-online/

Biden signs executive order to allow online passport renewals

Victoria M. Walker
December 14, 2021

If you’ve ever had to renew your passport, you know it can be a hassle. The COVID-19 pandemic complicated renewing your passport, but it was notoriously difficult even before 2020.

You typically had to remember when your renewal date was coming up, then drop your passport off at the post office or put it in the mail (which could be problematic if you had travel coming up) and then wait weeks — or sometimes months — for your new passport to arrive.

But now, the White House is making it significantly easier to renew your passport. Biden, on Dec. 13, signed an executive order to direct the State Department to design and deliver a new online passport renewal experience that doesn’t require any physical documents to be mailed.

“Americans will be able to renew their passports securely online, saving time from having to wait and the effort and cost required to print, go to a post office and use a paper check,” according to a White House statement. “This new online process will be done with safety and security.”

Neither the executive order nor the fact sheet specified when the policy would go into effect, but travelers will rejoice when it does. Currently, there are three processing methods for renewing a passport, and they vary in cost and turnaround time.

The cheapest is the free Standard method, which takes eight to 11 weeks, while the Expedited method costs $60 and takes five to seven weeks. You can also pay extra for one- to two-day delivery. The quickest method — Expedited at Agency Processing — also has the most hoops to jump through. This method costs $60, but you must have travel planned in the next 72 hours (or three business days) to apply at an agency or center, and there are limited appointments available.

Note the State Department says processing times begin the day it receives your application at a passport agency or center — not the day you mail your application or apply.

If you’re wondering when to renew your passport, the State Department website has a handy calculator to help you figure out your passport renewal options and cost. Generally, you should aim to renew it at least six months before it expires, especially if you have travel coming up to countries that require six months of validity.

Your passport is valid for 10 years if you were 16 or older when it was issued and five years if you were under 16 when it was issued. That means if your passport was issued in September 2012 and you were at least 16 years old, you should aim to renew your passport in March 2022.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
This is good news; however, I suspect it will be at least a year or two before it is fully implemented. The State Department also has to 'find' money in their budget in order to implement the program (EOs do not come with funds). I also hope they find a way to make this as fraud-proof as possible.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Do you mean one in my real name?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Went to get my DL renewed yesterday, had to find my passport, got til 2027.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yep, got two…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Living in Alaska...it's pretty much a requirement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Yep, got two…

I used to have two...now I have one.

No more burgundy passports for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post