SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Anyone seeing a shortage of shopping carts at the supermarket?

Last 3 shopping trips, no carts up front and I wound up scrounging one from the parking lot corrals. Stores weren't that crowded, and neither was the parking lot.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My employer uses aluminum in flat bar, sheets, tubing, angle, extrusions, storm windows, replacement windows. We can't get any of it right now. Suppliers tell us everything is back ordered until May. Can't tell whether its supply or labor shortages that are responsible. The price isn't sky rocketing which suggests its not supply, but this is damn odd. Trust me if I never have to strike an arc on anything aluminum for the rest of my career my feelings won't be hurt in the least, but this could cause my employer some problems down the line.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Last 3 shopping trips, no carts up front and I wound up scrounging one from the parking lot corrals. Stores weren't that crowded, and neither was the parking lot.

^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean buggies? Homeless folks and others who live within walking distance just take them. In NOLA they often end up in canals causing flooding issues in heavy rains. They are not cheap and must meet certain conditions.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean buggies? Homeless folks and others who live within walking distance just take them. In NOLA they often end up in canals causing flooding issues in heavy rains. They are not cheap and must meet certain conditions.

Why the fucking homeless think they are entitled to free shopping carts is beyond my understanding.

To me it's simple: What do you call a homeless person pushing a shopping cart down the street? A thief.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been able to find grapefruit juice anywhere.

Haters need not respond.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
What do you call a homeless person pushing a shopping cart down the street? A thief.

Of course.
One indicator of the general state of the society in a particular locale is whether the supermarkets have barriers that prevent carts being removed from the immediate vicinity of the store.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Homeless folks and others who live within walking distance just take them.

True, but the cart shortage is sudden, as in the last month or so, while our homeless population hasn't changed in that period.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
What do you call a homeless person pushing a shopping cart down the street? A thief.

Of course.
One indicator of the general state of the society in a particular locale is whether the supermarkets have barriers that prevent carts being removed from the immediate vicinity of the store.

Most of the stores here have the electronic barrier where once the cart leaves the parking lot one of the front wheels locks up. It takes a scanning device to unlock it. I always get a kick out of seeing a half dozen or more carts on the fringes of the parking lot when going to the store. Some years back a guy I know went into the business of grocery cart cleaning and repair. Now he's installing these systems as well. Etched himself out a darn nice living.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:

Haters need not respond.
Yes, that radical anti-grapefruit contingent is troublesome.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Weird shortage I’m noticing? Patience & Kindness.

Just this year I’ve witnessed two altercations where “adults” were yelling at each other with their stupid phones out recording their stupidity.

Bacon and food for my dog and cat are also difficult to find. We had a run on heavy cream and milk last week for some odd reason but thankfully supplies are better this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Both Walmart grocery and Publix supermarkets in this area seem to have plenty of grapefruit juice. I don't know about canned juice, I always buy the fresh, not-from-concentrate type.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Canned biscuits, still very little frozen potato products or onion rings.

Plenty of brussel sprouts, spinach and greens

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Canned biscuits

None to be found up here in WV, either.
Biscuits and gravy are a wintertime staple.
We ended up just making our own, from scratch.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haters need not respond.

You don't want to be drinking it if you are taking any kind of medication due to the enzyme in grapefruits causes the medication to increase in strength.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

Haters need not respond.

You don't want to be drinking it if you are taking any kind of medication due to the enzyme in grapefruits causes the medication to increase in strength.

Just 1/2 dose … just kidding … not … lol

The enzyme in your liver that gets affected by grapefruit juice is fairly broad-spectrum but it doesn’t affect all medications. If you drink grapefruit juice regularly you probably already know this and can ignore the haters. Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Dorito's in 2 different grocery stores this morning. How in the hell do you not have Dorito's?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
How in the hell do you not have Dorito's?

The manufacturer's supply of "powdered quasi-cheese-like byproduct" keeps running out, shutting down production lines?

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Pre-packaged cold cuts. Been noticing the isle they are in getting more and more holes in stock but today it was empty. One package of ham dangling from the rack.

This was at an ENC Food Lion.

Plenty of Dorito's though.

(Pro Tip - Cool Ranch Dorito's and Mrs. Renfro's Habanero Salsa. It's the source man, can change your life).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

(Pro Tip) Mrs. Renfro's Habanero Salsa.

I am never without this product!! Used to order it directly from Mrs. Renfro, but now it is carried locally......Good stuff!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Pre-packaged cold cuts. Been noticing the isle they are in getting more and more holes in stock but today it was empty. One package of ham dangling from the rack.

Haven't seen corned beef in over a year. I'm really jonesing for a reuben too.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post